Nightlands encounters.....

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Nightlands encounters.....

Unread post by MurderCityDisciple »

I'm about to take my players out on an extended frollick into the Nightlands. I have a few encounters preloaded, but am interested in some feedback from other GM's.

I think it would be a peachy idea to come up with a random encounter chart. I'd be willing to post some of my ideas here (after I run them). Having just Hounds, Hunters, Doppelgangers and Ashmedai prowling about will get old really fast.

So feel free to spew off some of your Nightlandish encounter ideas and concepts.
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” - Anton LaVey

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

"The die is cast." - Julius Caesar [Ultimate Powergamer]
Misfit KotLD
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: Golden God

Re: Nightlands encounters.....

Unread post by Misfit KotLD »

Scavenging humans, escaped dopplegangers, doppleganger warlords, waste coyotes, king lizards, random demons, vampires...
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -- Buddha
You're going to hell...you do realize this...no? - Shadyslug
The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
Johnathan
Adventurer

Unread post by Johnathan »

Misfit KotLD wrote:Scavenging humans, escaped dopplegangers, doppleganger warlords, waste coyotes, king lizards, random demons, vampires...

Don't forget about Atila the Hun's warlord doppelgänger and his Hell Riders. They're out there somewhere causing chaos.
Hotrod wrote:I haven't noticed saints getting the bad end of the bargain at all. Sure, a lot of them die in pain and poverty. A lot of jerks die in agony, betrayal, and humiliation, often taking their own lives rather than having to face the consequences of what they've done.
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

I have used demons before for a Nightlands excursion.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Unread post by Zenvis »

I would like to see the minion war go into the Nightlands.
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

Hi there,

some ideas, especially for first time travels through the Nightlands and especially good for those who are yet to find out what the Nightlands are:

- meeting doublegangers of friends and relatives
- coming up to a demon subverted small town "paradise" (Nightland version, zombie mode)
- coming to a city that has just been attacked by something, most destroyed & scant survivors, only vacant eyed people (hey, they are dopplegaengers after all, but that way nobody will get the wise of it) ... who maybe think that these newcomers can kill the scourge that attacked them only to later sacrifice them to a Nightpince
- being hunted through the Nightland wastes by a posse of Nightland creatures; a warlord could dress up like a sheriff
- being caught and then given over to some game (gladiatorial arena, hunt the human like the peoples of the steppes did for punishment)

I would try to tell a story with any encounter, so that the PCs learn by doing.

Cheers
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

A number of monsters hunting a group of children - actually a group of shapechanging creatures that play a twisted sort of hide & seek, bait & horror, changing who's who depending on luck or unwitting victims/heroes/rivals crossing their path.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

The nightlands also have a presence from the NB factions & spook squad.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

And more bening beings from other dimensions, like those in the city of Mu Thalan.
GaredBattlespike
Adventurer

Unread post by GaredBattlespike »

Let us not forget the main other group that is capable of travelling to/from the Nightlands: Mages! That's right, those upstart mere Humans who dare to seek Power though Knowledge! These men and women may travel the Nightlands for any number of reasons:
1) Researching Artifacts/Ruins/Spells that maybe part of an Ancient Building or anything else here...
2) Hold their secret meetings so as to not tip-off the locals who in turn would tip-off the Cops...
3) Spell Research: Here the Mages have little to worry about blowing up the neighborhood, or accidentally turning a local Girlscout into a frog from a Failed Spell Reaserch roll...
4) There OWN mission against the Nightlords, and maybe the PC would like to help...
5) Running from the loss of thier former hidden holdings on Earth, pursued by Hounds, Hunters and Mr. Delco (A Namtar/Hollow Man of scary intelligence)...
6) A romantic trist that you have thoughtlessly interupted, and the lovers are from OPPOSING Magical "Brotherhoods", Kindly keep this a secret too....

So you see, there are plenty of reasons for the Magically inclined to be in the Nightlands for your PC group to stumble over. That said, I agree with hendrik "I would try to tell a story with any encounter, so that the PCs learn by doing."
"Save ARCHIE, save the world..."
-----------------------------
-Sigging of rungok-
-Scenario 2-
(Demon 1):Woah, the hell happened to you?
(Demon 2):got my ass kicked by some guy with a knife and a handgun
(Demon 1):What? you gotta be kidding me!
(Demon 2):Thats what i was thinking...

anapuna wrote:
i rarely play a mage, but when i do... i do what GaredBattlespike does.

or i am a TW.
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Hendrik wrote:Hi there,

some ideas, especially for first time travels through the Nightlands and especially good for those who are yet to find out what the Nightlands are:

- meeting doublegangers of friends and relatives
- coming up to a demon subverted small town "paradise" (Nightland version, zombie mode)
- coming to a city that has just been attacked by something, most destroyed & scant survivors, only vacant eyed people (hey, they are dopplegaengers after all, but that way nobody will get the wise of it) ... who maybe think that these newcomers can kill the scourge that attacked them only to later sacrifice them to a Nightpince
- being hunted through the Nightland wastes by a posse of Nightland creatures; a warlord could dress up like a sheriff
- being caught and then given over to some game (gladiatorial arena, hunt the human like the peoples of the steppes did for punishment)

I would try to tell a story with any encounter, so that the PCs learn by doing.

Cheers
Hendrik

I actually am developing what you refer to here as a 'small town demon paradise'. My version is a small compound of demons in the ruins of Nightlands Ann Arbor, Michigan. The former Nightlord, now broken, stripped of his rank and insane has 'contracted' a demon lord and some of his minions to act as infrastructure. The demons opened up what is basically a wild west town in the middle of the rubble pile that was Nightland Ann Arbor (aka Ag Yabor). There's more to it, but my players might read it here so I'll be hush hush on it for now.

I now have the pleasure of fleshing out a demon run wild west town in the Nightlands.

I'll say this much, demonic dealings and double crosses, treasure hunting, adventuring, maybe some dungeon-crawling and barroom brawls are in my players future.

Anyone have any cool ideas? I have been fleshing it out, so feel free to suggest something and I'll add it into my game.
:bandit:

Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

MurderCityDisciple wrote:I actually am developing what you refer to here as a 'small town demon paradise'. My version is a small compound of demons in the ruins of Nightlands Ann Arbor, Michigan. The former Nightlord, now broken, stripped of his rank and insane has 'contracted' a demon lord and some of his minions to act as infrastructure. The demons opened up what is basically a wild west town in the middle of the rubble pile that was Nightland Ann Arbor (aka Ag Yabor). There's more to it, but my players might read it here so I'll be hush hush on it for now.

I now have the pleasure of fleshing out a demon run wild west town in the Nightlands.

I'll say this much, demonic dealings and double crosses, treasure hunting, adventuring, maybe some dungeon-crawling and barroom brawls are in my players future.

Anyone have any cool ideas? I have been fleshing it out, so feel free to suggest something and I'll add it into my game.

I would suggest having more then just demons there, make it such a town of lowlifes that it makes Mos Eisley look like a family destination. The town doctor is a diabolic fleshsculpter type of thing All sorts of scum hiding from the Nightlords for one reason or another.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer

Shawn Merrow wrote:
MurderCityDisciple wrote:I actually am developing what you refer to here as a 'small town demon paradise'. My version is a small compound of demons in the ruins of Nightlands Ann Arbor, Michigan. The former Nightlord, now broken, stripped of his rank and insane has 'contracted' a demon lord and some of his minions to act as infrastructure. The demons opened up what is basically a wild west town in the middle of the rubble pile that was Nightland Ann Arbor (aka Ag Yabor). There's more to it, but my players might read it here so I'll be hush hush on it for now.

I would suggest having more then just demons there, make it such a town of lowlifes that it makes Mos Eisley look like a family destination. The town doctor is a diabolic fleshsculpter type of thing All sorts of scum hiding from the Nightlords for one reason or another.

Yeah there are more than just demons about and yes...I hope it makes Mos Eisley look like Candyland when compared to my den of scum and villainy. I actually watched Hellboy 2 for it's troll market scene to stir my juices.

Return to “Nightbane®”