Nightlords: How to shape reality?

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Nightlords: How to shape reality?

Unread post by Hendrik »

Hi there,

after a long genesis I have finally been able to convince my gaming buddies to try out Nightbane!

Now, they will naturally not fight the Nightlords mano-a-mano, but I would still like to understand how the Nightlords work.

Nightlords have the ability to shape reality and there is some nice text on that, but from a rules perspective I do not really understand how to handle that.
    - Have I overread such rules and can you please point me to them?
    - In any case, how do you GM / handle the reality shaping power?

Don't get me wrong, I have an idea in my head how I will GM it. Basically, I see the Nightlords as evil demonic princes of Amber. Their powers are pretty much godlike. They are NOT boss enemies, they are the mean itchy bosses of the boss enemies who have more fun watching and orchestrating stuff than to take a direct hand in all but the most important matters. In essence they are very managerial ... in a bloody and non-bureaucratic sense. I would have extreme fun tearing the party apart with one of the Nightlords should they ever be so dumb to attack one. Avatars are an entirely different matter, those are awesome and tough enough and made for conflict.

Thank you.

Kind regards
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Re: Nightlords: How to shape reality?

Unread post by Hendrik »

Hi there,

went back home to have lunch with my kid and re-read the section in the NB book. The rules ARE clear enough! Shame on me, my leaky memory and not checking again before I asked the question.

That said, I would still be very interested in how you handle that ability.

Cheers
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Hendrik »

Thanks, Rappanui,

I will check Mindwerks for that.

Cheers
Hendrik

SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Rappanui wrote:I pretty much use it in the same manner that Poznow entity in Mindwerks uses his ability..
to Punish and reward minions .. And given that avatars have the same powers, there is certainly a possibility that a NB will go Mano to Mano with an AVATAR.

You mean the entity in the Tarnow Crystal?
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

The problem with the Nightlords isn't that their abilities are undefined, it's that their powers are so utterly broad that we can only barely begin to imagine what they are capable of doing. The ability to just create/alter matter (isn't that otherwise a Deific Power in Dragons and Gods? Transmutation or something? Though I guess FoM's Conjurers can do it too) is really easy to underthink. I've read posts where people talk about creating various toxic gases, elements that react explosively together, etc.

We have the rules for how to create matter, but we lack a lot of rules on how that created matter interacts with each other or the rest of the world, and the kind of effects that the created matter can produce.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Indeed, some examples of how far it can or not go might be helpful and interesting to many GMs.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Just have nightlords hide huge chunks of hyper-radioactive material around their fortress. They, and most of their minions, are probablly immune, any invaders though...
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Just have nightlords hide huge chunks of hyper-radioactive material around their fortress. They, and most of their minions, are probablly immune, any invaders though...
Reminds me of the TARDIS' first encounter with the Daleks.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Nightbane®”