Fleshsculptor spells?

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

barna10
Hero
Comment: Started playing Palladium in 1990.

Fleshsculptor spells?

Unread post by barna10 »

1) Have there been any additional (canon) Fleshsculptor spells released besides the ones in Through the Glass Darkly?

2) Has anyone compiled a list of "other" magic usuable by Fleshsculptors (ie other magic that deals with the flesh)?
gaby
Knight

Re: Fleshsculptor spells?

Unread post by gaby »

I always say Fleshsculptor and Mirrior mages needed more spells,well Maybe in a New Nightbane Book.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I'd love to see more of those. We do have rules for making new spells but I always found them a tad confusing regarding specifics.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Tor wrote:I'd love to see more of those. We do have rules for making new spells but I always found them a tad confusing regarding specifics.
what is confusing about benchmarking?
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

1) Have there been any additional (canon) Fleshsculptor spells released besides the ones in Through the Glass Darkly? No.

gaby wrote:I always say Fleshsculptor and Mirrior mages needed more spells,well Maybe in a New Nightbane Book.

There are several fan made mirror magic spells in the invented magic topic.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
barna10
Hero
Comment: Started playing Palladium in 1990.

Unread post by barna10 »

It's too bad. Fleshsculptors are unique and so cool.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Damian Magecraft wrote:what is confusing about benchmarking?
Just the particulars about how different you can make new spells, how many details you can change, etc.

Like for example: could I simply make 'Superhuman Mind' which increases IQ/ME to 30/24 instead of PS/PE? Could I choose to alter spells so that they add a straight bonus to attributes rather than increasing it to a fixed number?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Tor wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:what is confusing about benchmarking?
Just the particulars about how different you can make new spells, how many details you can change, etc.

Like for example: could I simply make 'Superhuman Mind' which increases IQ/ME to 30/24 instead of PS/PE? Could I choose to alter spells so that they add a straight bonus to attributes rather than increasing it to a fixed number?
yes.
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Simply subbing 1 attribute in for another is 1 thing but I'm not really sure how to change a set "to X" increase to a "by X" increase in terms of cost and how to design the spell, basically.

A spell that added +30 to IQ would be a lot more useful, for example, but that should obviously cost a lot more. Realistically the equivalent of something that increases an attribute to 30 might be one that adds 10 to it or something like that.

Or if we keep the set 'to X' rather than variable 'by X', increasing the max it increases people to should cost a lot more, but I'm not sure how to tier it. Double PPE for double the attribute seems far too low.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

what's the price for a spell that "Permanently fuses your hands and feet togeather until you resemble a weather balloon forevermore"?

Fleshsculpters are already rediculously powerful. When they can turn you into living furnature making it do good on the side is kind of trivial.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Tor wrote:Simply subbing 1 attribute in for another is 1 thing but I'm not really sure how to change a set "to X" increase to a "by X" increase in terms of cost and how to design the spell, basically.

A spell that added +30 to IQ would be a lot more useful, for example, but that should obviously cost a lot more. Realistically the equivalent of something that increases an attribute to 30 might be one that adds 10 to it or something like that.

Or if we keep the set 'to X' rather than variable 'by X', increasing the max it increases people to should cost a lot more, but I'm not sure how to tier it. Double PPE for double the attribute seems far too low.

ok I was at work when I answered your question so sorry for the short answer.
As to the subbing IQ/ME for PS/PE the cost would be the same as for the spell Superhuman Strength.
As to adding additional stat points Ball Park it.
We use the cost of the Superhuman Strength as the baseline... and then (I personally) determine what level the new spell (lets call it Genius Intellect) since the spell adds (lets use your +30) that is an indication that it needs to be higher than level 5 (level of the Benchmark/original spell).
Now how high a level should it be? (it looks to be about a level ten spell to me).
Level Ten spells run from 60ppe to 100ppe mid range would be 80ppe.
So our new spell is
Genius Intellect
Range: Self or Others by touch
Duration: 2 Melee rounds per level of experience
Save: none
PPE: 80
The incantation magically gives the character a bonus to the IQ of +30 for the duration of the spell. Skill bonuses apply for the duration of the spell.

as to your last example of just upping the set stat.
how high do you raise it? Your example of doubling the stat lets go with that.
so raising the stat to 60 would raise the level of the spell again.
how high? well at least by 3 to 5 levels IMO.
so again we see it hitting around level Ten again.
but lets say you feel level ten is too high.
lets go with level 8.
Well looking at the spells in level 8 the PPE range is 25 to 70.
mid-line is 45.
just come up with a name for the new spell and you are done.

That is how Benchmarking works.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I get how it works but I just have trouble with stuff that involves guesswork (ballparking, etc).

Oh and in terms of IQ increase via PPE, one thing that makes me think it should cost more is the Deific Power which Thoth has, he can increase IQ for 4D6 and I think it cost something like 60 or 80 PPE. Duration was a few days though I think.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Tor wrote:I get how it works but I just have trouble with stuff that involves guesswork (ballparking, etc).
Ah... That comes (like all things) with practice. There really is no tried and true works every time formula for creating spells in any system.

Tor wrote:Oh and in terms of IQ increase via PPE, one thing that makes me think it should cost more is the Deific Power which Thoth has, he can increase IQ for 4D6 and I think it cost something like 60 or 80 PPE. Duration was a few days though I think.
well our version only lasts a few seconds (just long enough to get that flash of insight). so it costing around the same as Thoth's Deific ability is ok.

Return to “Nightbane®”