Board index » SDC Worlds » Nightbane®

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 Post subject: A (not so) new idea!
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:06 am

Dungeon Crawler

Comment: All right, torch bearer, this is what we hired you for. Go in that cave, so we can see whats in there.
Hello, all. I am about to launch a nightbane/HU game. I really liked the idea in the back of the Nightlands book about the two being combined.

However. (Ever notice how there is almost always one of those?)

Two things have come to my attention that I think need to be addressed.

1) Nightbane, on average, will put a heap-o-hurtin' on almost all the super powered characters from HU!! The Mega-Hero can match the power of a nightbane, and even surpass it in some cases, but for the most part, its not much of a contest. There are a whole slew of possible "fixes" for this. One is to just up the bonuses that are given by the super power categories. But how much? Another would be to give more powers to the various power categories. Maybe an additional minor power here, or even a major over there...

2) the organizations of the Heroes Unlimited universe. I don't want to throw out the various groups found there in, but how exactly should I change them? S.C.R.E.T. being a government run group certainly means they are compromised by the Nightlords and there take over of the government. But, should I have some portion maybe go underground with the Spook Squad? Or maybe with out the Spook Squad?

And lets not forget the Mutant Underground. Now, the easy fix would be to just throw this group in as another facet of the Underground Railroad. Might be just the thing, there.

At any rate, I have some basic ideas for this stuff, but I want to know what you guys might think are good mediators for the power difference between Nightbane and Heroes, and what would be good ideas for the various organizations of Heroes Unlimited in a Nightlord run world.

Don't forget the lovable S.H.O.C.K., or those merchants of mass merriment, Fabricators Inc.!! To name a few.

Oh, and yes, aliens will exist in this world as much as they do in HU, so Upwatch and the like would be around.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you toss my way!!

Post subject: Re: A (not so) new idea!
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:13 pm

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points
Have you read the Nightgane/HU2nd crossover adventure in the HU2nd GM Guide?

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:03 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Comment: All right, torch bearer, this is what we hired you for. Go in that cave, so we can see whats in there.
Yes I have. However, this is going to be the status quo, not an alternate dimension.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:00 am

Adventurer

Comment: Darkness...You Afraid?
Nightbane had gotta be the highest powered non MDC world ive ever seen in this game system. Compared to others they are ike walks in a park full of police officers.

Nightbane offsets this by the fact that almost all the enemies are mega powerful as well and they are in a war they are losing big time.
Its supposed to have a hopeless feel.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:23 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Darkechilde wrote:
Hello, all. I am about to launch a nightbane/HU game. I really liked the idea in the back of the Nightlands book about the two being combined.

However. (Ever notice how there is almost always one of those?)

Two things have come to my attention that I think need to be addressed.

1) Nightbane, on average, will put a heap-o-hurtin' on almost all the super powered characters from HU!! The Mega-Hero can match the power of a nightbane, and even surpass it in some cases, but for the most part, its not much of a contest. There are a whole slew of possible "fixes" for this. One is to just up the bonuses that are given by the super power categories. But how much? Another would be to give more powers to the various power categories. Maybe an additional minor power here, or even a major over there...

2) the organizations of the Heroes Unlimited universe. I don't want to throw out the various groups found there in, but how exactly should I change them? S.C.R.E.T. being a government run group certainly means they are compromised by the Nightlords and there take over of the government. But, should I have some portion maybe go underground with the Spook Squad? Or maybe with out the Spook Squad?

And lets not forget the Mutant Underground. Now, the easy fix would be to just throw this group in as another facet of the Underground Railroad. Might be just the thing, there.

At any rate, I have some basic ideas for this stuff, but I want to know what you guys might think are good mediators for the power difference between Nightbane and Heroes, and what would be good ideas for the various organizations of Heroes Unlimited in a Nightlord run world.

Don't forget the lovable S.H.O.C.K., or those merchants of mass merriment, Fabricators Inc.!! To name a few.

Oh, and yes, aliens will exist in this world as much as they do in HU, so Upwatch and the like would be around.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you toss my way!!

Heh, funny I'm about to start a Nightbane/HU campaign myself with pretty much the same ideas. Almost exactly how you seem to be handling it (noting from your previous thread). I have some faction ideas as well writen up... long time ago, but I still have the info if you want it.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:32 am

Monk

NB and NS would still be quite quite rare in a combined heros NB/S world. While some are more powerful then Megas, some are only as powerful as heros with just minors.
I once created a NS with only "Animal Magnetism" and "Legendary Weapon" and ended up with a NS with stats much less then the "normal" heros more people make.

Mostly I write out exactly what I mean, then sometimes get even more finicky.

My Artwork

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:25 pm

Dungeon Crawler

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
NB and NS would still be quite quite rare in a combined heros NB/S world. While some are more powerful then Megas, some are only as powerful as heros with just minors.
I once created a NS with only "Animal Magnetism" and "Legendary Weapon" and ended up with a NS with stats much less then the "normal" heros more people make.

Yes, there is a HUGE power range in this game... but, the Bane tend to be on the beefy side, while only the right combo of powers from HU can be at that power level.

Yes, Jockitch74, yes I would, that would be very useful!

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:31 am

Dungeon Crawler

Maybe this will breath some new life into this thread. I have some basic outlines of various factions in this world, in regards to Century Station. I would still like to hear any and all ideas you might have regarding the various Heroes Unlimited Organizations in a Nightlord run world. Anyway, here is what I have so far.

Century Station

The federal involvement in CS is all but gone. There is no more talk of martial law being imposed, as the Nightlords LIKE what is going on there, and wish it would get worse. Officially and publicly the federal government has this to say about CS: "While we would like to see order restored to CS in the original time frame we mandated to the Mayors office, we have many other problems to attend to at the moment, so we are leaving the time frame open, and are going to rely on the Mayor to continue with cleaning up the city. We have high hopes for the Mayors plans, and the amazing strides he has made, and see no reason that he won't be able to do as promised. We feel it is unnecessary to have a time line hanging over his head like the headsman axe, so to speak."

So, they have left the (remnants) of Sector Squad there. Of course, this is merely Nightlord minions, and essentially an extension of the NSB now.

One thing I do have is a detailed list of who was killed, who wasn't, and who knows what concerning all the various heroes and villains in CS. If you would like that, I can post that as well. This would illuminate what has happened to the various super groups.

As far as the nightbane factions, they are mostly the norm, but there are differences.

Resistance: They operate in this city like they do in most others. However, they are being supplied by an unknown faction. They have no idea who it is, or why this benefactor knows so much about them. A lot of the time, they will plan an attack on some Nightlord holding, planning to use whats at hand, only to find (or have a mysterious phone call about the location of) a stash of equipment perfectly suited to the job, and the skills of those involved! They have also had a large number of free lance supers join there ranks (as is the case throughout the world).

The Underground Railroad: Due to there links with the Mutant Underground (essentially the same organization in my world), they have many safe houses here, and many member living in the city. The number of mutants coming from various firms here has increased since Dark Day, but they are more and more feral and destructive (this is true all over the world; the Nightlords have taken over many of these firms, and are basically slowly changing the companies to make killing machines, instead of the experiments they were doing). This is becoming a major concern for the UR and MU, as they have had several incidents with these new mutants, and from all appearances, will only get worse. In CS, they are considering actually taking action against some of the worst companies, to stop this from happening! A serious change for the organization, one the leaders fear will only escalate until they are no different then the Resistance. Already, some members have gone ahead with such plans, without the organizations knowing, as the tension is mounting, and these guys just don't want to wait for the leaders to OK it. The leaders are debating what to do about these members, as there is no consensus to reprimand them. Too many of the leadership is finding these actions wrong. Change is in the wind...

Seekers: Nothing new here. They are mostly doing research about the effects of the nuclear bomb that was used in CS, and any changes this has caused to magic in the area. They are very low key, and the other factions aren't even sure the Seekers are active in the city at all. There is the video that was leaked after Dark Day (see the Labyrinth section below), but not so much as a peep from them since.

Nocturnes: Much more militant then the Nocturnes in other cities, they work with the Resistance a LOT. The leadership of both factions have become great friends, and the two groups, at least in CS, get along famously. But, the CS Nocturnes have very few actual Vampires, as a Vampire Intelligence was almost summoned here 30 years ago! Due to the actions of various heroes at the time and the Nocturnes, this was narrowly averted. At the end of the "Blood War", as they call it, three warehouses with almost 1000 staked vampires each were found, and with the Master Vampires 1500 or so active vamps, it was close. Only through sheer luck was the faction able to stop those 3000 vampires from being awakened. Had that happened...
To this day, Vampires are not very trusted in the faction. However, the Vampyr's that came about from that time and since, are. They have a huge number of those, compared to other cells of the Nocturnes. They too, have had many super heroes join there ranks, which has given them an even greater day time power base.

Warlords: Love it here. There are so many lawless places, they are thriving. However, the various syndicates are not so thrilled with the Warlords being around, and there are signs a gang war might be in the near future. The Minotuar appears to be indifferent on the subject, but then, no one really knows what this figure is thinking or doing.

Lightbringers: This faction is very, very small here. Everytime they start to get any kind of numbers, the Nightlords show up, and all but wipes them out. There must be a leak of some kind, but they haven't been able to figure it out. As it stands, they are of very little influence in the City.

Spook Squad: The leaders of Spook Squad have decided to support some agents they had in the city already, that managed to go underground. Apex, from the Centurions, and the Sector Squad, managed to escape the minions sent to kill them on Dark Day, and happened to all go to the same safe house. They realized from what had happened to them that the security of this, or any safe house, was compromised, so they met up at one that Apex had set up on his own, and went into a fury of getting as many of there people to safety as they could. This turned out to be a surprising number (45%), and they eventually set up shop to find out what the hell was going on. After a bunch of trial and error, they managed to get a hold of there former Sector leaders, and hashed out a plan with the info they had. And so they became the Spook Squad of CS. Unlike the rest of SS, they don't have a lot of prejudice against the supernatural, so there is a larger number of Bane in this group then in any other SS cell. The most daring thing they have done is an assualt on Gramercy Island! And to their surprise, not only did Harker know they were coming, but he welcomed them in. After talking to Harker, they found out some interesting things. Basically, Harker allowed Apex to talk to Col. Chaos, and the good Colonel agreed to help out with the new problem. "if anyone is going to take over the world, its going to be me!" was the colonels response to what was going on. So, the Col. and his crew are now part of the CS Spook Squad. Apex had second thoughts about this, too be sure, but they have done surprisingly well with following orders, and haven't caused (many) problems. As an aside, the Colonel let his blood be taken to see if there is a cure for Apex, as having Apex around is more beneficial to him now. Time will tell if there is one or not.

Inlustris: They have a few operatives here to keep tabs on things, but thats about it.

Athanatos: They are openly a faction here, but there are two factions. One, the Celestials, is fighting the Nightlords and the Obscuruphim, in the most open combat these beings have done on earth. While not duking it out in public, the other factions are very aware they exist, and see them fighting each other quite frequently. The Obsuruphim are also fighting the Nightlords, but where the Celestials do it aggressively, they do it only defensively. This gives them a bit of an edge over the Celestials, but the Celestials have far more numbers, which evens things out. The Celestials want to work with the other factions, and make alliances with them for mutual benefit, but the other factions hold them at bay, as they have trouble discerning the two from each other. Most of the other factions have been approached by the Obscuruphim as well, with overtures of alliances, but they tend to want more then they are willing to give, and have rubbed the other factions the wrong way. So much so in the case of the Resistance/Nocturnes, in fact, that fighting has happened when they bump into each other. Unfortunately, this has caused a few clashes with the Celestials as well, and the leadership of the Resistance is actively talking with the representative from the Celestials to figure out a way to stop this from happening. So far, though, they haven't found any reasonable way to identify the celestials over the Obscuruphim that the Obscuruphim couldn't duplicate with relative ease.

The Minotaur: Not a faction, per se, but worth mentioning. This guy is still as unknown as always, but he (or she?) doesn't like whats going on, and appears to know a great deal of the facts. He hasn't seen fit to share this with anyone, but there are things that point to this being true. The biggest one was recorded by the Seekers on Dark Day. The Seeker group had been in Waingroh, doing research on the effects of the bomb as stated above, when Dark Day started. They had recording equipment with them, and through a series of events, ended up near the entrance to the Labyrinth. While there, they recorded a HUGE group (read, several hundred!!) of hounds and other minions of the Nightlords storming the place. There was a great amount of gunfire and the sounds of explosions, with many flashes of light, and the surge of minions stalled, and then a few of the non-Hounds started running the other way. None managed to get away. Of the minions that made it into the Labyrinth, none emerged. The ones that ran appeared to be gunned down with very high powered weaponry, like .50 cal sniper rifles or bigger. This video was accidently released on the net, and all the factions saw it before it disappeared. Little does the Resistance know, but the Minotaur is the supplier thats helping them.

Gramercy Island: While still a prison, it doesn't hold many super villians any more. Only the ones that were truly insane or would have been uncontrollable are still in captivity. The rest are on "Parole", so to speak. Harker personally went and talked to them all, and basically convinced most of them that they needed to work together to survive. On Dark Day, another large group of Hounds appeared on the Island, but was destroyed by the robot guards. However, the number of robot guards is severely reduced thanks to that fight. While some inmates managed to escape, they didn't get far. Now, most of the criminals in the general holding areas are working on making more of them! The factories on the Island have been retooled, and Harker has managed to get raw materials shipped to the Island. No one knows how he is paying for this, but no one is asking, either (unknown to even Harker, this is made possible by the Minotaur as well). So far, Gramercy Island is a no fly zone for the CSPD or any other plane, as they have all been warned away with warning shots from the gatling guns in the towers. It is rumored a U.S. Navy Destroyer was dispatched to "quell" the uprising on the Island (the official story is the inmates have taken over), but nothing is publicly known about it after that. In truth, the ship did approach the Island to see what they were dealing with, and one of the aquatic powered people in GI swam out and told them the whole story. The Captain, being no fool, knew something was wrong in the World, and this was just confirmation. He and his ship then sailed off, and haven't been heard from since. The Nightlords have been trying to find out what is going on on the Island, but to no avail.

No crunchy bits yet, as I haven't even come up with names of the leaders of the various factions, let alone stats. Well, aside from Spook Squad. Any thoughts? Ideas?

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:17 am

Champion

Darkechilde wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Yes, there is a HUGE power range in this game... but, the Bane tend to be on the beefy side, while only the right combo of powers from HU can be at that power level.

Yes, Jockitch74, yes I would, that would be very useful!

Yeah but we've been over this in other threads. Nightbane don't just get beefy physical attributes and oodles of SDC, they get a whole bunch of other stuff for free as well. A typical Nightbane with perfectly average rolls and no morphus form bonuses (which is a bit unrealistic since _all_ NBs get morphus form bonuses) has the following:

- PS, PE, and Spd at 21 each, PP at 17. Supernatural strength.
- 100 SDC plus skill bonuses
- 47 HP at level 1, +7 per level
- HF 6
- 135 PPE (which is important, since their powers run on PPE), +11 per level
- immortality
- 1000' nightvision
- regenerate 10 SDC or HP per melee round (which I believe is pretty much the best regeneration rate in any SDC game ever, apart from what Nightlords get)
- mirrorwalk (an ability which no HU power emulates, so only critters from NB canon can follow them if they run away through a mirror, and they can use it to infiltrate pretty much any building on Earth that wasn't designed with mirror-walking intruders in mind)
- immunity to mind control and transformation of any kind
+ Hand-to-Hand: Martial Arts for free, with 2 extra actions per round.

Then there's the morphus stuff. This is almost guaranteed to give them a higher horror factor, a bunch of extra SDC, and some attribute bonuses. It may also give them other bonuses or some unique abilities if they're lucky

They also start with a free Talent and can pick 2 more at a permanent PPE cost if they want. They can also buy another 2 every time they level up, and get freebies every few levels. These have a wide variety of effects, which means that they can make themselves infiltration specialists, masters of disguise, or various other kinds of superpower specialist on top of being able to beat up most HU characters in a fight. And if you really want to be a bastard you can also make your Nightbane a spellcaster, so he gets all of the above and the added versatility of learning magic. which will further cement his position as a character who can fight like a "brick" hero and still be a versatile all rounder.

And this is all from a perfectly average character with no Physical Skills and completely average rolls. Only some very specific HU builds that are tailor-made to create combat specialists can match a Nightbane on raw asskicking power, and none of them will have anywhere near the flexiblity of a Nightbane when it comes to non-combat powers because they had to put everything they had into asskicking powers to be able to match the Nightbane physically.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:01 am

Dungeon Crawler

I have kicked around the idea of giving the Hero characters the option of using the table in the Rifts Conversion Book for getting powers. Even if I decide to do this, it doesn't help the other power categories. So doing this will give only the mutant and experiment categories a boost, but I wonder if it will be too much.

Maybe a boost in the amount of PPE or ISP that the magic and psionic categories get? Or a few more spells or powers?

Doesn't do anything for the Hunter, physical training, or any of the rest, though...

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:44 am

Dungeon Crawler

Darkechilde wrote:
I have kicked around the idea of giving the Hero characters the option of using the table in the Rifts Conversion Book for getting powers. Even if I decide to do this, it doesn't help the other power categories. So doing this will give only the mutant and experiment categories a boost, but I wonder if it will be too much.

Maybe a boost in the amount of PPE or ISP that the magic and psionic categories get? Or a few more spells or powers?

Doesn't do anything for the Hunter, physical training, or any of the rest, though...

Characters like the Hunter, Super-Sleuth, Stage Magician, Hardware, and even the Ancient master, are far more suited to an ADA "Spook Squad" type of resistance. Even working with Nightbane and Guardians, the incredible skills and potential of these characters, especially if a bit better funded and equipped (i.e. a Darkblade or Enchanted weapon, especially the Hunter's or Super-Spy's gun.), would fit in well. True, they're a bit on the squishy side, with the exception of PT and Ancient Master, but a Hardware Weapons with an Enchanted and enhanced sniper rifle could be very useful.

:D Cast that spell on a LAW, and you've got a heck of a boom-stick!

Unread postPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:31 pm

Dungeon Crawler

That is true. But, it doesn't leave them many options as a player character. Sure, if the Hunter with his enchanted rifle gets to set up the area where something is going to go down, so he has the element of surprise, and a nice hiding spot to shoot the baddies without them knowing where he is, then great. But, a couple of hounds or hunters getting to him without him knowing, or ambushing him, or whatever, and he will prolly go down quite fast. Not the case with a Bane or a mega hero. Its much more situational. They don't generally have the raw power a bane does to take on the average Nightlord Minion like a bane does.

However, as NPC's, that is all a different ballgame. How about the ADA and Spook Squad being mostly characters that aren't toting super abilities? Groups of Hunters and Special Training guys would be real bad for a squad of hounds.

I think I will just have to really stress that the players should be bane or Mega Heroes. Which works anyway, makes it easier if the players are all around the same power level. I mean, running a game with a City Rat and his Cosmo Knight buddy is rough.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.