Best and worst talents?

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

lbeaumanior
Wanderer

Best and worst talents?

Unread post by lbeaumanior »

I read people swearing by Anti-Arcane, Darkwhip and Shadow Blast, but others dismissing the same talents. So I want to know what is the consensus (if any) about what are the best and worst talents, including but no limited to combat.

By best I mean the most bang for your P.P.E. buck, the best effects, or used almost in every situation even when alternatives exist.

Worst would be the talent you don't use because anything else is a better option, whether on results obtained, time, P.P.E. expenditure, or any other resource.
SpiritInterface
Hero

Re: Best and worst talents?

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

lbeaumanior wrote:I read people swearing by Anti-Arcane, Darkwhip and Shadow Blast, but others dismissing the same talents. So I want to know what is the consensus (if any) about what are the best and worst talents, including but no limited to combat.

By best I mean the most bang for your P.P.E. buck, the best effects, or used almost in every situation even when alternatives exist.

Worst would be the talent you don't use because anything else is a better option, whether on results obtained, time, P.P.E. expenditure, or any other resource.

It all depends on what your morphos is and the theme. I have a CatTaur and I have been having fun with Speed Darkling and Wallrunner. I have also found Dark Edge useful.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
lbeaumanior
Wanderer

SpiritInterface wrote:
lbeaumanior wrote:I read people swearing by Anti-Arcane, Darkwhip and Shadow Blast, but others dismissing the same talents. So I want to know what is the consensus (if any) about what are the best and worst talents, including but no limited to combat.

It all depends on what your morphos is and the theme. I have a CatTaur and I have been having fun with Speed Darkling and Wallrunner. I have also found Dark Edge useful.

Thanks for this, but I was thinking on general lines, like is Shadow Blast a good ranged damage power? Is it P.P.E. efficient? And the same for those talents that are "must pick".
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

lbeaumanior wrote:
SpiritInterface wrote:

Thanks for this, but I was thinking on general lines, like is Shadow Blast a good ranged damage power? Is it P.P.E. efficient? And the same for those talents that are "must pick".

Shadow Blast is averagely efficent, which is to say not efficent at all. an average hound has 200 SDC and about 40 HP, meaning it takes roughly 95 PPE of shadow bolts to kill one; and given that you are capped at spending no more than 4 P.P.E. per level in one blast, if your mid level, say 6, it will take you 2 turns to kill one and burn most or all of your PPE.

And if you miss, you just wasted it.

Darkwhip is far more P.P.E. effective.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
lbeaumanior
Wanderer

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Shadow Blast is averagely efficent, which is to say not efficent at all. an average hound has 200 SDC and about 40 HP, meaning it takes roughly 95 PPE of shadow bolts to kill one; and given that you are capped at spending no more than 4 P.P.E. per level in one blast, if your mid level, say 6, it will take you 2 turns to kill one and burn most or all of your PPE.

I see, thanks for listing Darkwhip. What do you think of the previous suggestions (Speed Darkling, Wallrunner, Dark Edge) ? And do you have any suggestions for "Must-Have" talents?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

lbeaumanior wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Shadow Blast is averagely efficent, which is to say not efficent at all. an average hound has 200 SDC and about 40 HP, meaning it takes roughly 95 PPE of shadow bolts to kill one; and given that you are capped at spending no more than 4 P.P.E. per level in one blast, if your mid level, say 6, it will take you 2 turns to kill one and burn most or all of your PPE.

I see, thanks for listing Darkwhip. What do you think of the previous suggestions (Speed Darkling, Wallrunner, Dark Edge) ? And do you have any suggestions for "Must-Have" talents?

Speed Darkling is great!

Shadow Weapon is pretty much a must: I wanted to stick to the core book, but if you want PPE efficency, Shadow Weapon is it, because it works with W.P.'s and gains some degree of increasing bonus on top of your supernatural strength damage.

The Shroud and Severance are pretty much must-haves in my book, because they let you sneak around so well.

I don't know where the Wall Running talent is, it's not in any of my books. Is it a Rifter thing?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I would say that their usefulness is mostly depends on the creativity of the player about how to use the talents.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Fan Club and Mystic Amplifier each generate more PPE than they cost. Mage Syphon lets one steal PPE from others.

Return to “Nightbane®”