Inspirational Fiction

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

mapineda68
Newb

Inspirational Fiction

Unread post by mapineda68 »

Does anyone have a list of movies/books/comics/etc. that could provide inspiration for running a Nightbane game?
Zenviscaype
D-Bee

Re: Inspirational Fiction

Unread post by Zenviscaype »

mapineda68 wrote:Does anyone have a list of movies/books/comics/etc. that could provide inspiration for running a Nightbane game?

Someone referred a movie on Facebook. Can't remember the movie. Had a similar premise of the RPG.
Mr. Jays
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mr. Jays »

Nightbreed
--- author of "All Quiet on the Western.....What?" Rifter 84
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

mapineda68 wrote:Does anyone have a list of movies/books/comics/etc. that could provide inspiration for running a Nightbane game?

A dedicated list? No. I only ever compiled one for inspirational music (years and years ago). However, pretty much anything with a horror/urban fantasy or dark superhero vibe to it tends to hit at least some of the notes. Stuff like Ghostrider, The Crow, Hellraiser, Dark City, Daywatch/Nightwatch, Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy, Constantine, Legion, Boogeyman, Dog Soldiers, American Werewolf in London/Paris, Silent Hill, John Carpenter's Vampires, etc. Even more sci-fi focused properties like X-files, They Live, and the Matrix Trilogy get at the whole "war in the shadows" and "secret invasion" concepts. You might try Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series and various King and Koontz novels (Twilight Eyes being one of my all-time favorites). None of them quite capture everything that Nightbane is, though, which is one of the reasons I love writing it.
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Zenviscaype
D-Bee

Unread post by Zenviscaype »

Warwolf wrote:

A dedicated list? No. I only ever compiled one for inspirational music (years and years ago). However, pretty much anything with a horror/urban fantasy or dark superhero vibe to it tends to hit at least some of the notes. Stuff like Ghostrider, The Crow, Hellraiser, Dark City, Daywatch/Nightwatch, Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy, Constantine, Legion, Boogeyman, Dog Soldiers, American Werewolf in London/Paris, Silent Hill, John Carpenter's Vampires, etc. Even more sci-fi focused properties like X-files, They Live, and the Matrix Trilogy get at the whole "war in the shadows" and "secret invasion" concepts. You might try Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series and various King and Koontz novels (Twilight Eyes being one of my all-time favorites). None of them quite capture everything that Nightbane is, though, which is one of the reasons I love writing it.

Man that's a cool list. I love Nightvane and a great story of changing back and forth.
Rogerd
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rogerd »

Warwolf wrote:Daywatch/Nightwatch, Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy, Constantine, Legion, Boogeyman, Dog Soldiers, American Werewolf in London/Paris, Silent Hill

Daywatch / Nightwatch is one cool setting, and in fact i would also add Everlasting rpg to this list; which fits the bill.
The Reverie being very similar to the Gloom in DW / NW books.

In fact I would also add Doctor Who, particularly the Family Blood episode where the Doctor traps one of the family in the corner of every mirror.
EDIT: Buffy the Vampire Slayer & Angel.
Blackwater Sniper
Explorer
Comment: The only bad character is the one you didn't put on paper.

Unread post by Blackwater Sniper »

Transformers, Max Payne, Mad Max, Alien, Mortal Engines, Pacific Rim, Planet of the Apes (insert any monster), Oblivion, Edge of Tomorrow, Hunger Games, 12 Monkeys, Avatar, Star Wars, Dredd, Sharknado, Blade Runner, Escape from New York, and Red Dawn

Some of those are more Rifts-centric, but I got caught up in the moment.
So what if I don’t know what apocalypse means? It’s not the end of the world!
GlitterKnight
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by GlitterKnight »

I’m very inspired by 80s/90s anime when it comes to Nightbane. Dark themes, hyperviolence, a hidden world just behind the surface. Faceless goons in suit who show up to brutalize innocents and get messily slaughtered for it. When Nightband punch a human, their head should explode into gore. Lots of obscure magical lore and psychic powers.

Demon City Shinjuku
Wicked City (really leans into the body horror of the setting)
Go,u Midnight Eye (you migt notice I love the works of Yoshiaki Kawajiri)
The Guyver (my favorite and a huge inspiration. Nightbane is basically a tokasatsu rpg, but everyone designs their own bizarre monster form)
Bao the Visitor
Devilman and Devilman:Crybaby
Blood+ (You can include a lot of modern vampire and vampire hunter stuff like this)

I haven’t seen it yet but Chainsaw Man also seems a strong contender.

Return to “Nightbane®”