most inclusive random morphus table?

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

most inclusive random morphus table?

Unread post by Axelmania »

With new morphus characteristics being added in later sourcebooks, does anyone know if a bigger random table with all possibilities on it was made?

There have also been several rifters with lots of very interesting non-canonical morphus characteristics too. I was curious if any fan kept track of them all and tried to put together a table for randomly generating any of the selections.

I was also curious if anyone ever did something like maybe a morphus doesn't manifest all at once. Like in HU how there are mutants who gain powers as they level up, it might be cool to play a nightbane who only started with 1 or 2 characteristics but who manifested more and rolled new random ones as they leveled up (or in response to serious trauma) and became weirder as time went on.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Re: most inclusive random morphus table?

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

The Dark Designs book has the most comprehensive tables. It incorporates several of the previous optional Rifter tables, but I'd have to go through it to give specifics, other than to say the Megalomanic table is excluded. There was an option in the Rifter for a Morphus being two beings chained together, which was excluded to my mild feigned vexation, since I'm pretty sure the custom Morphus with the highest combat stats using Rifters was a character influenced by the 1980s toy series Dino Riders.

The Ancient Nightbane from the same book are the only example that comes to mind of characters obtaining Morphus selections after level 1. Given the game's power creep (an original character might only have 2-3 characteristics, with 1d4+2 becoming a later option) I could see value in starting a character at 2, +1@3/5/7/9.
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

Curbludgeon is correct in that Dark Designs incorporates all currently canon Morphus Tables. What is incorrect is that Rifter tables are NOT included, as they aren't canon. The confusion comes from the fact that we tweaked and revamped many of the old Rifter tables for inclusion in the Nightbane Survival Guide. Some tables changed more than others, and some were excluded entirely for various reasons.

In regards to the number of features available, random rolling actually allows for up to 7 Morphus features in the main book (go back and reread the Nightbane Characteristics Table that's referenced in the Appearance Table). That's not even counting some of the other tables including options for two or even three results per roll. This is a game originally designed by C.J. Carella, after all. Note that standard Nightbane do not gain new features at additional levels, this is only something available to Ancient Nightbane.
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Axelmania
Knight

I didn't know it adapted some of the Rifter stuff, I guess we should find out what wasn't adapted and put together some options for rolling those too, just for those who want a 'as many crazy tables as possible' idea.

If I got Dark Designs would it mention somewhere in there which Rifters it was grabbed from and who wrote the original ones?
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Nah, dude. I'll see about screwing it to the sticking place and making a list of what wasn't tweaked into being 'new'.
Axelmania
Knight

I'd like to see a "random Talent" table too, like how HU has random super abilities. Random psi tables and random spell tables would also be cool.
Blackwater Sniper
Explorer
Comment: The only bad character is the one you didn't put on paper.

Unread post by Blackwater Sniper »

The best table you can come up with is home-made. Use your imagination, it's what roleplaying is all about at it's core anyway.
So what if I don’t know what apocalypse means? It’s not the end of the world!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Warwolf wrote:Curbludgeon is correct in that Dark Designs incorporates all currently canon Morphus Tables. What is incorrect is that Rifter tables are NOT included, as they aren't canon. The confusion comes from the fact that we tweaked and revamped many of the old Rifter tables for inclusion in the Nightbane Survival Guide. Some tables changed more than others, and some were excluded entirely for various reasons.
...snip

I will note that there are some Rifter features that were incorporated into the features published in the NBSG and DD gamebooks. Just not as they were presented in the Rifters
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Nightbane®”