game sign ups

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

game sign ups

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I don't claim to have the answer as to what would be the best way to handle signing up for games, but there can't be a repeat of the 2015 Open House style of game sign-ups. Placing the sign-up sheets on a board while everyone is playing is sub-optimal. For starters, everyone has to dash out of his or her game to run to the board. Then there is the gaggle of people, literally running with pencils in fists. Everyone knows it's Lord of the Flies to sign up so there is a mad rush for games leaving many people out of preferred games because they were playing at table 15 instead of table 1.

-Vek
"Let's discuss how to better sign up for games."
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: game sign ups

Unread post by Glistam »

How was it done at previous Open Houses? Did that work any better?
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

As I remember it was the same in previous years, but I think they may have timed it to go up between games where possible. We had a few conversations to discuss alternative methods but I can't for the life of me think of one that works.

Some cons have a sign-up list posted on-line before the event, but that is still a first come first served issue (and some include a charge for each game, which Palladium doesn't currently do). I guess everyone would be waiting by their computer to sign up the exact moment it came on line. Like trying to get tickets off Ticketmaster for major events before they sell out. If they did do something like that it would need to be handled carefully, and not done via these boards, as the vast majority of the Open Housers are not on here.

Maybe you could put you name down for first and second choices for each time slot and some clever person could work out a system where most people can get what they want? But that sounds open to difficulties.
Last edited by Soldier of Od on Wed May 20, 2015 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Come to think of it, the best way to determine who gets a game is to base it on distance travelled to the Open House - a clear indication of their commitment to Palladium. So Frederico gets first pick on all games at the Open House, Hendrik second and me third.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

I second that. We could call it the fan miles program...

I think the system as such works ok and I see no better alternative. I like that the have posted the upcoming games in waves, i.e. you can enter in the morning for the morning games, at noonish for the afternoon round, etc. The only thing I would change is to post the schedule/sign-up papers NOT while the games are going on, but in the breaks.
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
Reelman
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Eliminating that not so fresh feeling from the world of role playing.

Unread post by Reelman »

Soldier of Od wrote:Come to think of it, the best way to determine who gets a game is to base it on distance travelled to the Open House - a clear indication of their commitment to Palladium. So Frederico gets first pick on all games at the Open House, Hendrik second and me third.

Sounds good to me, I am only a 4/5 hour drive away and I will be GMing anyway so as long as you guys sign up for my games, it will all work out!
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I think posting the sign-ups at the time the current batch of games are scheduled to end is the simplest way. A pre-signup would be tough to do, even with them selecting second and third choices, unless you had some way of assigning "priority" to players.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

what about an auction points system? Just an idea off the top of my head....

something along the lines of you have 100 points to bid.

So if you REALLY wanna play in Reelmans DR game you can bid maximum. Once people have bid, then they have less points to bid for the next games?....

There will always be some spare games for those that dont wanna bid or are outta points.

Food for thought.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by Scott Gibbons »

The Dark Elf wrote:what about an auction points system? Just an idea off the top of my head....

something along the lines of you have 100 points to bid.

So if you REALLY wanna play in Reelmans DR game you can bid maximum. Once people have bid, then they have less points to bid for the next games?....

There will always be some spare games for those that dont wanna bid or are outta points.

Food for thought.

This is an idea that should definitely be looked at.

I didn't play in any games this time - as G.M.ing five games left my throat too hoarse for much else - but it was disconcerting to see everyone scramble away from my table whenever the next round of sign-ups was posted.
A wise man once said, "Only a fool takes offense where none was intended." I repeat this good advice to myself at least once a day.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

My original proposal was to have half the minimum as an online sign up. So, if the game had 4-6 players, 2 would be online and the rest would be in person.
I agree the system needs to change. I almost got trampled.
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, as I recall, it was pen and paper before but more or less, all of the games for the weekend were available for sign up at the onset of the event. So you could be there on Friday and sign up for a Sunday game. It really made the VIP Thursday a bonus that way. You were granted first crack at the games of your choice since you shelled out the extra cash.

I would prefer being able to sign up on-line before arriving. It certainly would have some of the same squatting issued of people waiting until the schedule is up and quickly jumping in, but it would allow people to see which games where full and which weren't before arriving. That would limit the feeling of "Well, now what do I do?" when you have succumbed to your inner civility and arrived too late. It also would prevent people from sending one person to sign up 5 others. Make it tied to the Palladium Site ID.

-Vek
"Also, the sheets were on tables so you could write down on them."
Jeremy_Black
D-Bee
Comment: "My gym is dark magic, and my protein shake is rage."

Unread post by Jeremy_Black »

Some of these ideas have merit. I agree that the current system is better than all the games getting posted on the first night (or online only) and filling up before many people are even there, but I also agree that the current situation needs some improvement.

I hate for this to sound so rudimentary, but perhaps one simple step to help the current situation is to have a single-file line ("queue" for our friends from around the world). One of the MAs or volunteers doing the posting could keep the line organized for a few minutes, enforce a "only one signup per person in the line" rule, and then afterwards leave it open for people to check and signup any time after the initial rush is over. First come first serve might be the only simple way, but a single-file line instead of a mad rush would almost definitely be safer, be much more personal-space-friendly (at least for me), and even possibly be a little bit more "fair" for everyone. If it works for amusement parks and supermarket checkouts, then it should work for signups.

Just my two cents/credits/coppers...

-Aaron
I asked my wife to guess the name of my friend's old BSN character, which was a Pearl Jam reference.
"Oh, something like Jeremy Black?" she says without hesitation.
"Nope... but I like that character name better!"
-A
zyanitevp
Champion

Jeremy_Black wrote:Some of these ideas have merit. I agree that the current system is better than all the games getting posted on the first night (or online only) and filling up before many people are even there, but I also agree that the current situation needs some improvement.

I hate for this to sound so rudimentary, but perhaps one simple step to help the current situation is to have a single-file line ("queue" for our friends from around the world). One of the MAs or volunteers doing the posting could keep the line organized for a few minutes, enforce a "only one signup per person in the line" rule, and then afterwards leave it open for people to check and signup any time after the initial rush is over. First come first serve might be the only simple way, but a single-file line instead of a mad rush would almost definitely be safer, be much more personal-space-friendly (at least for me), and even possibly be a little bit more "fair" for everyone. If it works for amusement parks and supermarket checkouts, then it should work for signups.

-Aaron

Agreed- next time there will either be a queue, or a random dice roll for which table gets to sign up in what order.....
My Twitter
Image Image
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

If there is another POH and its kickstarted then purchasing the ability to sign up to games first could easily be one of the kickstarter levels....
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

Soldier of Od wrote:Come to think of it, the best way to determine who gets a game is to base it on distance travelled to the Open House - a clear indication of their commitment to Palladium. So Frederico gets first pick on all games at the Open House, Hendrik second and me third.

Awesome idea! But it is not fair...we must find another way...but awesome idea :-D
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
zyanitevp
Champion

The Dark Elf wrote:If there is another POH and its kickstarted then purchasing the ability to sign up to games first could easily be one of the kickstarter levels....

That I will pitch!
My Twitter
Image Image
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

zyanitevp wrote:
The Dark Elf wrote:If there is another POH and its kickstarted then purchasing the ability to sign up to games first could easily be one of the kickstarter levels....

That I will pitch!

Me too.
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

zyanitevp wrote:
Jeremy_Black wrote:Some of these ideas have merit. I agree that the current system is better than all the games getting posted on the first night (or online only) and filling up before many people are even there, but I also agree that the current situation needs some improvement.

-Aaron

Agreed- next time there will either be a queue, or a random dice roll for which table gets to sign up in what order.....

You will we'll role for initiative!! hehe
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
zyanitevp
Champion

Those that ran games at the Open House this year- would you like me to send something to all GM's that asks for suggestions for the future, or should I wait until Kevin gives in and agrees to the next open house?
My Twitter
Image Image
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

zyanitevp wrote:Those that ran games at the Open House this year- would you like me to send something to all GM's that asks for suggestions for the future, or should I wait until Kevin gives in and agrees to the next open house?

I think we should just start planning the next POH and then just drop it in Kevin's lap all done. Haha!
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

some of us are barely able to scrape together the funds to just attend the POH.
and now you suggest the games be pay to play?
I barely tolerate that at Origins...
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Mr. Jays
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mr. Jays »

FatherMorpheus wrote:
zyanitevp wrote:Those that ran games at the Open House this year- would you like me to send something to all GM's that asks for suggestions for the future, or should I wait until Kevin gives in and agrees to the next open house?

I think we should just start planning the next POH and then just drop it in Kevin's lap all done. Haha!

This! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
--- author of "All Quiet on the Western.....What?" Rifter 84

Return to “Palladium Open House”