Thank you for a great time!

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Thank you for a great time!

Unread post by Phaze »

I posted this on my facebook. I wanted to post it here as well:

My rut is destroyed. My faith in humanity is restored.

I had been dealing with a period in my life that was full of anxiety, stress, and responsibility. I fell into a rut where my productivity and emotions had hit a low.

But no longer.

I have had the distinct privilege to spend the last few days with many people I didn’t know, some I did know but only from online experiences, and a few that I had known for many years.

We are Gamers. For those who don’t know what a Gamer is, the definition is simple… we play games; everything from easy board games to Role Playing Games with more rule books than most encyclopedia editions. We are Nerds really. We wear it like a badge of honor, and rightfully so. We enter a temple of where our holy symbols are dice and our altars are tables to share experiences. We care not what color you are, what you wear, how much money you make, or how you look. All we care about is having a good time with friends. We care about each other.

Over the course of the weekend, I met new friends. I made good friends out of acquaintances. I partied with people I didn’t even know their first name, but only knew them by their online persona. We shared games, spirits, food, and time freely and without an account for who paid for what, or what you brought to the table. We all sat together; engineer, IT professional, Fast food worker, unemployed, artist, and writer… liberal, conservative, independent… Black, White, Latino, Asian… social giants and the socially inept… We all had common goals. We all treated each other as if we had been friends for years. It wasn’t the celebration of our differences, but the ignorance of them.

We celebrated our imagination.

We outsmarted Dragons, defeated giant robots, saved the world, and pitted our strategy against our competitors. We celebrated victories and laughed at our defeats. We shook hands over games well played.

This was one of the best events… no… that’s not right; This was one of the best times of my life. It will be reminder to me in the future; when times are tough, people are selfish, and the world can’t seem to get along; it will remind me that people from all walks of life can get along and find common ground and actually care for each other, even if only over a character sheet, a miniature, and a 20 sided dice.

I wish to thank all of those that I battled, rolled dice, drank and spent time with. You showed me that in this world of war, accidents, selfishness, and strife; there is still some out there that will accept a challenge to be blind to differences and celebrate together. I am proud to call all of you friends.

Patrick “Jake” Jakubowski
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
mumah
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Attacking gazeebos since 1883!

Re: Thank you for a great time!

Unread post by mumah »

I agree. I didn't do any gaming at the warehouse this year; I was too busy at my table. I am astounded every time we do the OH at the joy and atmosphere the event always has. And the kindness and glee of all the people. That'll fill me up and drive me for years.
"I remember your work." -Amy "The Unicorn" Ashbaugh
"What a talented schmoe." -Brian Manning
"Someday I'll be half as cool as Mumah." -Brian Manning
"Apollo Okamura drove here across the Atlantic from Japan." -Sarah Aten
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

I really did have a good time. Got to meet Jolly and Barbara Blackburn, the Palladium Artists, Writers and Cartographer (great people), played a great game of Robotech Southern Cross RPG. Didn't know the people, yet next thing I know, we're covering each others back while exploring a drifting Zentraedi cruiser. Got to fight some invid in a VHT. Couldn't have asked for a better start to Saturday. I was more excited to take part in this than anything I can remember in many years. It was fantastic

Also a shout out to Hotrod 'The Great Cartographer' who at Kevin's game on Saturday afternoon ran two characters simultaneously, and played both great, and with appropriate voices. Both the 'hawt elf chic' warrior priestess and gruff dwarf warrior. I will not soon forget gaming with him, it was extremely entertaining. I consider it very skillful to run 2 characters as well or better than the rest of us ran one. That being said, everyone at that table did a good job staying in character, shout out to the dude playing the Ogre Warlock (Sorry didn't catch your name). You played with conviction.
Reelman
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Eliminating that not so fresh feeling from the world of role playing.

Unread post by Reelman »

Jake, it was great to meet you and see the things you are doing with the MAs and RRT. I am sorry we did not share more time, games, and spirits, looking forward to next time.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Great sentiment. And totally true. It amazes me how you guys welcome a bunch of Brits (& other foreigners, I know Frederico will back me up on this) as if we were brothers - and its because we freakin are! Gamer brothers! (ok so I came along with my actual bro but u know what I mean)! lol.
Love love love the POH and EVERYONE who makes it - IF there's every another. I am gonna GM/play less so I can chat more I think!
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

It was so great after so many Skype calls to actually hang out with you in person!
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Phaze, that's an awesome post! PB should use your post as the marketing email for the next POH! :)

So bummed I was consulting this year and could not make it. It's awesome you all had such a great time!
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

Very, very well said, Patrick.

I totally agree.
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

Phase (Jake) I totally blame you for Saturday! I was soundly defeated 4 out of 6 games, but I'll say that it was the most fun I've ever had being beaten up so badly!

Thank you so much for putting on Saturday. My feet and back are still sore, but it was well worth it!

I look forward to seeing you at GenCON!

POH 2016!!!! (Or some time sooner then never!)
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Totally agree with the person who started this. Had a blast! I will admit that I didn't enjoy my last RTT tournament game. It was my 3rd curb stomp. And the guy only had 1 unit on the board. Sorry, but its no fun to play several games like that. It gets to you after a while. So I just gave him the win. Just to be sure, I'm not blaming the guy I played. He just had way more experience then me, that was all. This tournament was my first time able to play the game. Though I did get a win, which was my goal. So I'm happy with that. And yes! POH 2016, 17, or 18! :D
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

The Dark Elf wrote:Great sentiment. And totally true. It amazes me how you guys welcome a bunch of Brits (& other foreigners, I know Frederico will back me up on this) as if we were brothers - and its because we freakin are! Gamer brothers! (ok so I came along with my actual bro but u know what I mean)! lol.
Love love love the POH and EVERYONE who makes it - IF there's every another. I am gonna GM/play less so I can chat more I think!

Right, I had a Blast! Everyone was very very nice to me...

Never was so much owed by so many to so few (Kevin & Crew & Volunteers)...
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).

Return to “Palladium Open House”