No costume contest?

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

No costume contest?

Unread post by Scott Gibbons »

So I got my Rifter # 68 in the mail yesterday, and I'm cruising through it (good stuff from the preliminary look through, btw) when I stumble across a little paragraph in the POH '15 write-up on page 12 that reads"
Note: No Costume Contest. We're skipping the costume contest, unless we hear from a large number of you who were planning to compete.

My initial reaction is, 'What the heck, no Costume Contest!?!'

Then I think, 'Man, that will help relax my next few months a lot if I don't have to complete the three costumes I'm building for myself, my wife and my son.'

Then the other half of my brain says, 'You've been planning your costumes for two and a half years! You have money, time and experimentation already invested!!'

Then the little voice from the darkest corner of the furthest reaches of my brain whispers, 'I want a cheeseburger.'

Wisely, the rest of my mind ignores that voice, as it almost certainly has some ulterior motive for the request that has nothing to do with sustenance.

...Uh, where was I? Oh yeah!

So I am totally torn by this announcement. On the one hand, I am super-busy with a freakin' ton of projects, so eliminating the need to finish the costumes in time for the Open House is a big relief. Not to mention I will save money on buying further materials, money that can be put to other good uses (like buying stuff at the Open House).

On the other hand, I really look forward to the Costume Contest. It is a lot of fun figuring out the costume concept, building it, and figuring out special effects for it (yes, I am the guy who set himself on fire at the last OH). All the prep work is, in its own way, like an extension of the Open House itself. And I was really hoping to capture the best-in-show award this year.

So I'm just not sure which side of this question I fall on. Do I voice my dismay at having no Costume Contest, or do I endorse the decision?

What are your thoughts? Was anyone else here planning on having a costume?
A wise man once said, "Only a fool takes offense where none was intended." I repeat this good advice to myself at least once a day.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Re: No costume contest?

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Hrmmm my thoughts. .a cheeseburger sounds like a really good idea.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Your costumes are always innovative and really cool - even if they don't have a costume contest this time, you should should wear one anyway!
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

I remember that! That was cool! I was also planning on doing another one this year, and yes, I'm also torn as well.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I have that little voice from the darkest corner of the furthest reaches of my brain that always wants a cheeseburger. However, mine always adds bacon and it usually screams, not whispers.

I am of two minds on the contest. First, I always enjoy the costumes and it is a lot of fun to see people go all out. However, since I do not compete this just sounds like more time for gaming and maybe a few more panel discussions which are the two things I am going for.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

My voice says Tacos!
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

zyanitevp wrote:My voice says Tacos!

:lol:

Warshield73 wrote:I have that little voice from the darkest corner of the furthest reaches of my brain that always wants a cheeseburger. However, mine always adds bacon and it usually screams, not whispers.

I am of two minds on the contest. First, I always enjoy the costumes and it is a lot of fun to see people go all out. However, since I do not compete this just sounds like more time for gaming and maybe a few more panel discussions which are the two things I am going for.

Agree. Though it looks like there will be not a lot of people who will complain real bad about it. So ya, I'll be a little sad that they won't do it, but at the same time, there will be so much more other things going on, I don't think it will be really missed.
Aliraza351
Newb

Unread post by Aliraza351 »

Like any decent city, there is cool stuff to be found, but there is cooler stuff if you know what you're looking for. Actually, I haven't made it over to Windsor yet, so I'd be interested in meeting up with some people who are headed that way. Should be a fun weekend all around.
Boethermsbrukan
Explorer
Comment: Defiling Heir

Unread post by Boethermsbrukan »

Question, thus: if we assume for the moment that the Costume Contest will not be going ahead for the 2015 Open House, is it a corollary that being in costume at all at the OH will be discouraged? I'd hate to think someone who was previously planning to attend with a homemade getup had to abandon wearing it at all, given that this is a once-a-year biz.

We've still got a while until the OH comes along, but I thought it was worth asking. Cheers!

-Boe.
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by Scott Gibbons »

Boethermsbrukan wrote:Question, thus: if we assume for the moment that the Costume Contest will not be going ahead for the 2015 Open House, is it a corollary that being in costume at all at the OH will be discouraged? I'd hate to think someone who was previously planning to attend with a homemade getup had to abandon wearing it at all, given that this is a once-a-year biz.

We've still got a while until the OH comes along, but I thought it was worth asking. Cheers!

-Boe.

I don't see any problem with people wearing costumes even without the contest - in years past on the day of the costume contest there were several people who just wore their costume all day long.

For myself, after more time to consider, I'm relieved to not have the (self-imposed) pressure of having to complete three costumes - the next few months look to be very busy for me and my family, and one less thing to do is great. Considering that none of our costumes are more than 50% complete yet, I don't think any of us will be wearing anything there though.
A wise man once said, "Only a fool takes offense where none was intended." I repeat this good advice to myself at least once a day.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.
Boethermsbrukan
Explorer
Comment: Defiling Heir

Unread post by Boethermsbrukan »

Involved Observer wrote:I don't see any problem with people wearing costumes even without the contest - in years past on the day of the costume contest there were several people who just wore their costume all day long.

Good afternoon, Involved_O!

I had the feeling that it was along those lines; it would be difficult for me to consider Mr. Siembieda & Crew would ask people not to come in costume at all if they'd been planning on it (though I would respect that request if it did come up) even if the organized Costume Contest would be off the schedule beforehand.

Involved Observer wrote:For myself, after more time to consider, I'm relieved to not have the (self-imposed) pressure of having to complete three costumes - the next few months look to be very busy for me and my family, and one less thing to do is great. Considering that none of our costumes are more than 50% complete yet, I don't think any of us will be wearing anything there though.

Believe me, I definitely dig. If you have a costume planned that you need to build and finish, it's a bit of business to do it even if it's just for yourself, and if you've _three_ costumes to finish with your significant other and a wee one to bring along (I assume your three are you, your mate and your young'un) that's definitely outside of my realm of experience, aside from being sure it takes a fair bit more to co-ordinate! o_o

Assuming it's a planned surprise, whether you decide to go ahead with costuming yourself and your family for the next OH, I won't pry as to what your costumes would be, but if you have any desire to mention what they'll be, I'd love to know. Multi-person costumes are awesome when done well.

Cheers, ami!

-Boe.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Please see the stickied poll at the top of this forum. Palladium and crew are considering having the Costume Contest.

The main reason it was being considered not happening was there was chatter that it interrupted gaming events. After a talk with the Palladium staff, the Costume Contest "might" make a comeback IF enough of you want it.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

As always I will be spending the ENTIRE weekend in full RPG costume as a Nightbane in facade form!
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Myself, I'll be in costume as an "Ordinary Person" from BTS2.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Elly_G
D-Bee
Comment: "I hold with those who favor fire."

Unread post by Elly_G »

I loved the Costume Contest in years before. My husband and I both fight in the SCA, I was going to bring two full suits of armor decked out in El wire for Cyber knights ;).

But hey! More time for Gaming!! I'm absolutely ok with that.

Elly_G
"Poetry is not truth, It's just deception with a little class."

Return to “Palladium Open House”