Open house Robotech RPG tatics tournment.

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

jdarr5000
Megaversal® Ambassador

Open house Robotech RPG tatics tournment.

Unread post by jdarr5000 »

For the 2015 open house is there any one planing on trying to run a tournment at this point ?

I think one should be organized the down side is depending on turn out it may take up alot of table space which with the normal turn out for the open house i'm not sure it would be able to hold it properly.

At the very least a couple tables setup to run sineiros though out the weekend something like a replaying events in boobytrap and other episodes of the show.

Other wise a couple small events to get kinks worked out for tourment play for haveing tournment events at gencon or adepticon.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Open house Robotech RPG tatics tournment.

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

my suggestion is that if a tourney is planned, it should be set up for timed play (go until a clock runs out.. say, 2 hours a game at most?), and a round robin approach should be employed. (everyone does 3 games, against different people each time, you get points for how you do in each, ranking is based on tallied points from all three games.)

i'd also say, specify size. i'd say 300 points, normal limits. (must have 2 core units, only one of each named hero, that sort of thing.)
ialso, just have them bring a force.. don't worry about balancing UEDF vs zent in terms of players.. if that means you get zent on zent or UEDF on UEDF battles, so what?

perhaps hold it over the whole event.. so if there are non-RTT events you want to attend, you can spread your tourney games out to meet whatever schedule you want.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

glitterboy2098 wrote:my suggestion is that if a tourney is planned, it should be set up for timed play (go until a clock runs out.. say, 2 hours a game at most?), and a round robin approach should be employed. (everyone does 3 games, against different people each time, you get points for how you do in each, ranking is based on tallied points from all three games.)

i'd also say, specify size. i'd say 300 points, normal limits. (must have 2 core units, only one of each named hero, that sort of thing.)
ialso, just have them bring a force.. don't worry about balancing UEDF vs zent in terms of players.. if that means you get zent on zent or UEDF on UEDF battles, so what?

perhaps hold it over the whole event.. so if there are non-RTT events you want to attend, you can spread your tourney games out to meet whatever schedule you want.

That sounds reasonable. I still will bring all I get with me. :D
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I agree. I know I will have to run games, but hopefully we can make this happen.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Alpha 11
Palladin

The Galactus Kid wrote:I agree. I know I will have to run games, but hopefully we can make this happen.

Just don't run so many that you can't do anything else.
Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Unread post by Phaze »

I will be running four games. One each day including the VIP day. Roughly 450 pts each side (three players per team)

Game 1 - Hostile Takeover - Macross International Airport (Special Gold Edition) (Thursday)
Game 2 - Hostile Takeover - Macross International Airport
Game 3 - Fur Balls IN SPAAACE!
Game 4 - We only missed by 3 Billion Miles!

Going to have a great time!
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
Alpha 11
Palladin

Phaze wrote:I will be running four games. One each day including the VIP day. Roughly 450 pts each side (three players per team)

Game 1 - Hostile Takeover - Macross International Airport (Special Gold Edition) (Thursday)

Looks like fun! Hopefully I can make at least one of the games!
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Phaze is leading the charge on creating official tournament rules- we are trying to establish some, hopefully before the Open House.
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Alpha 11
Palladin

zyanitevp wrote:Phaze is leading the charge on creating official tournament rules- we are trying to establish some, hopefully before the Open House.

Good luck with that!
Forar
Hero

Unread post by Forar »

zyanitevp wrote:Phaze is leading the charge on creating official tournament rules- we are trying to establish some, hopefully before the Open House.

Aren't there supposed to be at least placeholder tournament rules ready for Adepticon? Which is in 2.5 months. Seems like that'd be a place to beta test a rules set for the Open House, and thus two opportunities to clean up any issues in competitive play before Gencon (assuming something will be done with all the space that apparently Palladium will have, due to the stellar turn out and bustling activity from 2014's run at the con).
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

Phaze wrote:I will be running four games. One each day including the VIP day. Roughly 450 pts each side (three players per team)

Are you going to be doing sign ups only at the Open House, or take some a head of time? :D
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Hoping to have schedule up by Mid-March so that sign-ups will occur then.
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador

zyanitevp wrote:Hoping to have schedule up by Mid-March so that sign-ups will occur then.

+1
ApocalypseZero
Adventurer
Comment: Also known as: Lonnie Langston

Unread post by ApocalypseZero »

I am not sure if I will be able to make the Open House this year. (Got to do some planning). BUT if I do, I will run an RTT Tourney there. Depending on turn out, it could be an all day event or spread out over the whole thing.

Let me get my planning in order. If I do, you'll see a post here about rules and what not.
Only Time Will Tell, Unfortunately The Bastard Never Speaks.
The Galactus Kid

I am only running a VIP thursday game and a Friday game in an effort to be able to play RRT
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

Maxgravity
D-Bee

Unread post by Maxgravity »

I will be arriving around 5:30 on Friday. I am hoping to be able to play in the tournament. I'm bringing a 300 pt. UNMC Destroid force, but may also bring 300 points of Zentradi for some pick up games if I can overcome my hang up about playing with half-painted units.

-MaxGrav
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador

I'm working on a 300 point Malcontents army. Of course, with none of the Wave 2 figures it will make some of it kind limited but should be interesting still.
Alpha 11
Palladin

We don't even know what the points will be yet. It could be more for all we know. But, I wouldn't be surprised if it is just 300 points.
The Galactus Kid

I'm bringing enopugh for 300 and 450 of each UEDF and Zentradi

Return to “Palladium Open House”