Making the Open House cheaper!

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Making the Open House cheaper!

Unread post by Spinachcat »

It was sad to read Kevin's Murmur about people canceling their tickets to the Open House. The economy probably won't be much better in May. However, there are ways to make the Open House cheaper for you. I am a veteran con-goer and I was con-hopping back in college when money was tight and back in my teaching years, money was tight too!

So here's my Big Tip...Bring 3 Friends. This is the key to everything. In business, its called "economies of scale" and here's how bringing friends works.

1) GAS MONEY
A four seat car will use the same gas with 4 passengers versus just a driver. Gas is much lower than a year ago and cut 4 ways (3 ways if you reward the driver) your transportation cost gets slashed. Real gamers roleplay at 70mph!

2) FOOD
If you are serious about saving money, you MUST skip restaurants. That McCrappy Burger + Fries + Soda will set you back $6 bucks. That's $24 bucks for 4 people.

The key is to buy in bulk and make great meals to transport. Enlist your wives / girlfriends / moms to cook up meals, lock'em in tupperware and away you go. You would be shocked how many massive sandwiches on great bread you can actually make for $20. And please people, for the love of all that is holy, use good bread. Say it with me sou-er-dough-chi-a-batta!

The key with food is you have to trade Time for Money. Going through the drive-thru is a trade of Money for Time.

But we want hot food! Hey, I'm with you. That's why my crew always loaded a microwave into the trunk and snuck it into the motel. Bring a 3 prong to 2 prong outlet doohickey just in case.

3) HOTEL
I am pretty sure the hotel has the two bed option and lets 4 people stay per room. Surely some of your friends own inflatable mattreses and/or foam pads. Suddenly, $80 per night becomes $20 per night...and the hotel gives us free breakfast. Nom, nom, nom!

4) FUN
It's way more fun to spend money than to save money. Going low budget can seem like a drag when doing it alone. However, in a group, there is a camaraderie and it becomes a Wacky Road Trip with great memories.

So if you are coming to OH09 and you are worried about expenses, grab yourself three friends and see you there!
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Re: Making the Open House cheaper!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Spinachcat you are my hero :ok: This is great advice! I brought my rations to the last two open houses as well as to other CONs. I've also done the same thing with the car and hotel room.

Plus by buying in bulk and splitting costs it leaves you with more spending money.

Yeah this should be stickied.

Carl
ImageImage
Kevin
Yeah, The Publisher Guy

Unread post by Kevin »

Great suggestions by Spinachcat.

Yep, load up those rooms with 3-4 people. Split expenses and come on down. It's going to be a great time.

Sincerely,
Kevin Siembieda
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Made sticky
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Kevin
Yeah, The Publisher Guy

Unread post by Kevin »

Some additional comments from me, Kevin Siembieda

- All events at the Open House are FREE. Your admissions covers all events from panel talks to game events.

Definitely share expenses as a small group. Even many Freelancers will be sharing rooms with 3-4 people to a room.

- Continental Breakfast is FREE at the Comfort Inn. Take advantage of it!!!

- There are a great many inexpensive places to eat all around the Palladium Offices. There is a wonderful little fruit market too, and a Kroger’s supermarket.

Some of the hotel rooms come with a microwave, but not all. For those that do, you could buy and heat inexpensive microwave food and reheat leftovers (pizza, etc.). I’m also a sandwich guy, so I approve the notions of making sandwiches, the go a long way.

– There will be special offers on select Palladium items.

– G.M. 3-4 game events (must register and describe your game in advance) and you get a 30% discount on books.

– For what it is worth. The POH is the only gaming event any Palladium staff or I will attend in 2009. It is is also the largest gathering of Palladium creators anywhere, ever. Fun if you can afford to be here. And if you can't . . . with any luck there will be more Palladium Open Houses in the future, see you then. ;)

Sincerely,
Kevin Siembieda
You know who :-D
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

I have a couple of more tips for keeping the price tag of the OH down.

Those of you that are over 21 and not Brandon Aten can save money on alchohol by drinking at rat_bastard's homebrew party (though this is not an acceptable place to sleep).

Josh Singsapaugh's mom makes a great breakfast and you don't even have to pretend to like her son to get it.

Those of you who need a ride to the Open house can always just hop on Jason Richards back, he has offered to carry people to and from the the Open house in order to save money, tipping him is appreciated and will allow him to save up to buy a saddle.

Its a little known fact but Jason Marker can literally teleport living matter, now the matter in question has to be royal blue so your going to have to dye your skin but its still a good way to save on gas money and plane fare.

thats all I got for now.
Last edited by rat_bastard on Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

Just a few more tips from a con hopper!

Muffins. Seriously. I've survived atleast 3 cons now on nothing but muffins. For a 4 day con, my food budget was $20. I'm serious. Muffins, or similiarly nutrient rich heavy foods (Granola bars, trailmix, etc) will do an amazing job of keeping hunger away. I doubt there's a tim horton's down there, but still, find what you can or bring some with you. Bran or fruit muffins tend to work best.

Avoid Caffine and similiar foods. These make you hungier believe it or not, so if you're going through these drinks your going to want to eat more which increases your food budget. Drink lots of water instead. If you have to, bring some of those flavor packets you can toss into any bottle of water and you're good to go. The advantage there is you only really need a bottle, and just keep refilling. If you have to have 'clean' water bring yourself one of those filters with you and refill a few bottles in your room before you head to the con proper.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Prince Artemis wrote:Just a few more tips from a con hopper!

Muffins. Seriously. I've survived atleast 3 cons now on nothing but muffins.

Bagels are good too!

And oyster crackers.

Avoid Caffine and similiar foods. These make you hungier believe it or not, so if you're going through these drinks your going to want to eat more which increases your food budget. Drink lots of water instead.

And for those who don't know, guarana is essentially the same thing as caffeine, so avoid that too.

If you want energy, there are other options, like vitamin B and ginseng.
In my neck of the woods, certain gas stations/convenience stores (motomart) have extra "energy splashes" you can add to your drinks at the soda fountain, including vitamin B and ginseng.
On days where I want to avoid caffeine, I make heavy use of this.
It's also not a bad place just to get a big soda in general if you need one (though a 2 liter is cheaper in a grocery store).
And most places are cheaper if you're refilling a cup/bottle that you already have (sometimes only from the same store, but still).
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.

Sanford wrote:
Citizen Lazlo wrote:
Prince Artemis wrote:I doubt there's a Tim Horton's down there.

Tim Horton's has penetrated far into the Border South of the US, and perhaps beyond, I can think of dozens of "Canadian Crack" dealers within hoping distance of the Warehouse.

Yep. There's one on Ford road, just west of I-275, roughly a mile from the warehouse. Fair warning, though; the Foad/Haggerty/275 intersection is a freakin' madhouse around rush hour.

Works for me. I'll just make sure to pick up half a dozen in the morning.
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

An expansion on the carpooling tip. Even if you can't get a full vehicle on the trip to Detroit, hook up with other Open House attendees and get as full a vehicle as you can for trips to and from the warehouse. This will save on gas, ease parking demands, and generally be better for the environment. Just make sure that everyone plans on keeping roughly the same schedule or has other arrangements should they wish to deviate. There's nothing quite as annoying as a group member wanting an unexpected ride somewhere when you're in the middle of the action.

Another tip: bring your own snacks and beverages to the warehouse. I think concessions will probably be available again this year, and while I hate to encourage people not to give Palladium their money bringing your own edibles will probably be cheaper than what is for sale at the warehouse. Although, when someone sits down next to you with a hot slice of pizza, those granola bars in your bag might seem just a little less appetizing... :lol:
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
erc1971
Wanderer

Unread post by erc1971 »

Prince Artemis wrote:Avoid Caffine

You do realize you just told 150+ gamers to avoid caffeine? :lol:

Eric
RIFTS..."It's ****ing Brilliant!" Kevin Sembieda May 5th 2006
Attended Palladium Open House, May 6th 2006, May 4th and 5th 2007, April 30th 2009, May 2nd 2009
Palladium Unofficial Employee
Kevin Siembieda to me during the big move: "Eric, you are a god!"
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

erc1971 wrote:
Prince Artemis wrote:Avoid Caffine

You do realize you just told 150+ gamers to avoid caffeine? :lol:

Eric

You do realize the person that said that drinks an average of 2 litres of pepsi a day?

Yeah, it's a sacrifice, but caffine makes you thirsty and hungry which raises the bills pretty quick.
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

A quickie about avoiding caffeine: Switch to iced tea. It's cheaper, can be made in bulk, and a lot of restaurants (at least down in the civilized sections of the country) will serve you unlimited refills, even if they charge you by the can for soda. By all means, have your morning coffee... but going through a gallon or two of tea keeps you at a sub-maximum caffeine level, without the nasty side effects of withdrawal (and with a lot less sugar consumption).

Phalanx's wife taught me that, and it's helped a LOT. I still love me some Dr. Pepper, but it's a cheaper alternative.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

I cannot Imagine going on Vacation without the funds to drink coffee.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

rat_bastard wrote:I cannot Imagine going on Vacation without the funds to drink coffee.

Again, it's not actually the price of coffee that is the problem. Caffine encourages digestion which means you get hungrier and thirstier easier which means your more likely to eat/drink which raises cost. It's the coffee/soda itself that's the problem, not the cost of such.
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

Citizen Lazlo wrote:caffeine is more important than food

I'll give you a big "Amen!" to that, brother!
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
MADMANMIKE
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

This reminds me; I need to pick up all the Coke and Water I'm going to drink before leaving Missouri. When Warwolf and I went up to help with the move I made the mistake of picking up my Coke in Illinois, and drinking the bottled water in Michigan; Both were terrible with the taste of chlorine...

..It sucks to have 20% more sensitivity in every physical sense (taste included) than the average person.. :(

-Mike <8[
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Lucas
Adventurer

Unread post by Lucas »

i get very jumpy when my caffine levels drop........so what you are saying would have made ppl KILL ME
Buck the System
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I wish I could make it, I soooo do:) A few years ago I almost paid for my trip to a convention doing burgers outside on the grill at the motel. Sure it broke every health law since I wasn't a restaurant, but if people wanted to become friends and give me a couple of bucks for an awesome burger who am I to stop them?
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Mark Hall wrote:A quickie about avoiding caffeine: Switch to iced tea. It's cheaper, can be made in bulk, and a lot of restaurants (at least down in the civilized sections of the country) will serve you unlimited refills, even if they charge you by the can for soda.

I've learned (the hard way) many years ago that is true at many restaurants too!

If you do eat out, make sure you ask about refills on drinks. There are still a lot of restaurants that charge you for refills on soda, but will give you unlimited refills on iced tea. It pays to be informed.
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

Prince Artemis wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:I cannot Imagine going on Vacation without the funds to drink coffee.

Again, it's not actually the price of coffee that is the problem. ....

To my humble tastes, it is only the quality of the coffee that often is a problem. I love coffee. Sometimes you get that filter stuff that tastes like being filtred through an old sock (not that I know how that would taste but I imagine it must be bad). Coffee should be steamed. IMVHO, the only real coffee is espresso (with or without milk). Even good cusine is no indication if a country has good coffee. I mean, Starbucks and colleagues have remedied that some, at least you get decent coffee in many places now with a reliable average quality. But still, you go to a restaurant, have a very nice meal and then you ask for a coffee to finish your dinner experience. And, what happens? You get a black watery soup thing that shares only one property with coffee, it makes ugly staines on your shirt if you spill it. In France for example, they have good cuisine but their coffee sucks big time. Italians on the other hand, aah, you get a good coffee no matter how run down a place may be. Never been to the States, let's see how your coffee is (aside from Starbucks et al., always wanted to go to a diner).

Cheers
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Hendrik wrote:
Prince Artemis wrote:

To my humble tastes, it is only the quality of the coffee that often is a problem. I love coffee. Sometimes you get that filter stuff that tastes like being filtred through an old sock (not that I know how that would taste but I imagine it must be bad). Coffee should be steamed. IMVHO, the only real coffee is espresso (with or without milk). Even good cusine is no indication if a country has good coffee. I mean, Starbucks and colleagues have remedied that some, at least you get decent coffee in many places now with a reliable average quality. But still, you go to a restaurant, have a very nice meal and then you ask for a coffee to finish your dinner experience. And, what happens? You get a black watery soup thing that shares only one property with coffee, it makes ugly staines on your shirt if you spill it. In France for example, they have good cuisine but their coffee sucks big time. Italians on the other hand, aah, you get a good coffee no matter how run down a place may be. Never been to the States, let's see how your coffee is (aside from Starbucks et al., always wanted to go to a diner).

Cheers
Hendrik

If Itallian espresso is your meter, you will be disappointed by Diner coffee.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Carl Gleba

The Galactus Kid wrote:
Hendrik wrote:
Prince Artemis wrote:

Cheers
Hendrik

...and the free stuff at the hotel.
ImageImage
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

Long live Arco!
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
The Galactus Kid

Carl Gleba wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:
Hendrik wrote:
Prince Artemis wrote:

Cheers
Hendrik

...and the free stuff at the hotel.

Agreed. It will keep you awake and give you that burst of caffine, but it wont win any awards based on taste.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

Indeed, espresso is my meter for a good coffee taste. :shock:

Yet, I dare fancy myself to be a humble person. Humility ( :angel: ) and desperation ( :nh: ) give one the strength to endure even the worst coffee which in turn leads to a (cheap) caffeine high giving further strength to push oneself up from ones hopefully cosy seat and go out, brave the hostile (espressoless) world and valiantly go on the noble quest to get one real coffee :wink:

Cheers, or rather: Espresso Macchiato to you all (or Corretto for those so inclined)!
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

My wife will most likely have Espresso beans, a grinder and some coffee extracting contraption at the hotel. She is an addict who is constantly making coffee too strong for those of us weak hearted folks to drink.

"The Devil's among us!
The Galactus Kid

jorel wrote:My wife will most likely have Espresso beans, a grinder and some coffee extracting contraption at the hotel. She is an addict who is constantly making coffee too strong for those of us weak hearted folks to drink.

Coffee can never be too strong. Too bitter maybe, but not too strong.

Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

I rarely drink coffee, so her brew makes me feel like I'm Al Pacino at the end of Scarface. Crazy outta control without all that cocaine.

"The Devil's among us!
The Galactus Kid

jorel wrote:I rarely drink coffee, so her brew makes me feel like I'm Al Pacino at the end of Scarface. Crazy outta control without all that cocaine.

lol

Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Hendrik wrote:Indeed, espresso is my meter for a good coffee taste. :shock:

Yet, I dare fancy myself to be a humble person. Humility ( :angel: ) and desperation ( :nh: ) give one the strength to endure even the worst coffee which in turn leads to a (cheap) caffeine high giving further strength to push oneself up from ones hopefully cosy seat and go out, brave the hostile (espressoless) world and valiantly go on the noble quest to get one real coffee :wink:

Cheers, or rather: Espresso Macchiato to you all (or Corretto for those so inclined)!
Hendrik

2lbs. Espresso bought. Just need to pack grinder and maker.

"The Devil's among us!
The Galactus Kid

jorel wrote:
Hendrik wrote:Indeed, espresso is my meter for a good coffee taste. :shock:

Hendrik

2lbs. Espresso bought. Just need to pack grinder and maker.

I'm stalking this guy.

Carl Gleba

The Galactus Kid wrote:I'm stalking this guy.

Get back Triax Kid! He's in my game and sharing the goods with me :D
ImageImage
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

You'll have to go through my wife to get the coffee. I'm just the middle-man. I'm bringing 16 Starbucks Espresso Doubleshots to get me through the weekend. The wife has the fresh ground stuff and Real Coke (real sugar).

"The Devil's among us!
eoptap
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by eoptap »

I bought my first rifts book at the open house, and met a good number of new friends but for the life of me cannot remember most of their names. Splitting the cost of the room helps, and buying things like pop tarts, chips, and bringing refillable water bottles. If I had not given in to the Ryan's special nachos I had all my food taken care of for $20 but those were addicting.
eoptap
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by eoptap »

Hendrik wrote:
Prince Artemis wrote:

Cheers
Hendrik

So did you enjoy Denny's Sorry I was half asleep :D , but between sleep apnea, and not going to been until late then being up early the weekend took it out of me (not drinking enough water dose not help a little dehydration), but their are no complaints it was great fun. I am rehydrated, and got most of my energy back.
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Hendrik »

eoptap wrote:So did you enjoy Denny's

I did!

It was great talking to you guys there and the food was fine. The coffee was ok, too :wink:

Actually, one of the few checkboxes I did not make this time around at the OH (and my first time stateside) was to have a huge amount of pancakes. Could have eaten those at Denny's but at 0100 am I could not have eaten pancakes :-(

Cheers
Hendrik

eoptap
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by eoptap »

Hendrik wrote:

I did!

It was great talking to you guys there and the food was fine. The coffee was ok, too :wink:

Actually, one of the few checkboxes I did not make this time around at the OH (and my first time stateside) was to have a huge amount of pancakes. Could have eaten those at Denny's but at 0100 am I could not have eaten pancakes :-(

Cheers
Hendrik

Next time you make it to the US if your in the Kalamazoo MI area let me know and we will go get some pan cakes.
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

eoptap wrote:
Hendrik wrote:

I did!

Cheers
Hendrik

Next time you make it to the US if your in the Kalamazoo MI area let me know and we will go get some pan cakes.

We stopped at the Bells brewery there. It did not make the Open House cheaper. Sure was cool though.

"The Devil's among us!
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Hendrik »

eoptap wrote:
Hendrik wrote:

... to have a huge amount of pancakes ...

Thank you very much, Eoptap, will do! Would be great to meet ... and have pancakes!

I get around quite a bit, alas, so far the US of A is not one of the place I go regularly. But, that may change. Latest I will be back for is the 2012 POH!

Cheers
Hendrik

Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

I wrote this thread in 2009, but with the OH 2015 coming upon us, it may be useful for people again.

Here are some additional thoughts...

GENCON or OPEN HOUSE?
If you've already done GenCon at least once, then do the Open House.
Why? GenCon is GenCon. It's cool, but the Open House has a unique small gathering vibe.

If you primarily play Palladium RPGs, then do the Open House.
Why? Unlike other conventions, the Open House is all about Palladium 24/7 and everyone there is a Palladium fan. And if you can spend the cash, do the VIP night. Totally worth it. But if you don't have the cash, so what? Hang at the hotel and play some Rifts. The hotel has the free gaming space and lots of great games will be happening there too.

If you are 50/50 on GenCon vs. the OH, then do the Open House.
Why? I've done a lot of cons for the past 30 years. The Open House ranks among the best experiences. Just check out the threads on this forum about the OH right after the OH happened. It's got amazing energy.

If you have never done a convention, then do the Open House.
GenCon is cool, but its a monster like ComicCon. It's almost too big and almost too much is happening. The Open House is intimate, but exciting. You will get into games all the time and the vibe is super friendly.

SAVING MONEY

If you feel money might be an issue next spring, or if you think you can't afford the OH, then the time to start saving is NOW. You can use a savings account, a piggy bank or a coffee can. Doesn't matter, all three get the same interest rate these days.

The way to save money is to analyze your expenses. If you mostly use your Credit Card or Debit Card, then its easy to look over the last 3 months and see where the money has gone. If you mostly use cash, then you have to write down everything you buy in the next month and get a sense of where the cash is going. It's not that hard and its incredibly useful.

There is almost always something that you can cut out of your budget to save money.

MAKING MONEY

It's often hard to come up with $1000 in a few weeks, but its no big deal with 10 months. Look around your house. Any junk that you are not using that somebody might buy on eBay? What's collecting dust on your shelves? What haven't you watched or played or looked at in several years? Sell that stuff. It makes you money and gets rid of clutter.

Lots of gamers buy "collectors' items", but then what? They sit in boxes never to be seen again? This is a great time to start looking at selling them on eBay and turning them into cash. The Open House is a great experience and experiences are worth so much more than stuff.

CUTTING COSTS
The best way to cut costs is recruit friends. Doing cons on the cheap are best done with a crew. But its often hard to get people to commit last minute, my suggestion is start talking to your friend's NOW about the OH. If they say its too expensive, share these tips with them too.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Spinachcat wrote:It's often hard to come up with $1000 in a few weeks, but its no big deal with 10 months.

Sorry, I haven't been keeping up on all the OH threads, but how in the world does it cost $1000?!
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

If you are flying in to Michigan, the airfare can get nasty if you don't get a great deal. Even with 2 months advance, I will pay $500 from Los Angeles (with taxes), then 4 nights hotel (with taxes) will be another $500 and that's before meals, OH ticket, VIP night and getting goodies. Between everything (food, booze, hotel, flight, goodies, rental car), I spend an easy $1500 for the OH. GenCon usually ran me closer to $1800.

But just going to a SF Bay Area Con is going to cost me $600 easy ($150 airfare, $125/night x3, taxi, chow).
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Forgive my ignorance of not knowing how these things work, but TICKETS?! Is PB so flush with liquid assets that they can say, "oh we're so high falutin' that you've got to pay to hang out with us?" Don't get me wrong, I love PB and they are the ONLY system I have ever played, (well I think I played D6 starwars 2x but that shouldn't count) but I was under the impression that they NEEDED all their fans. At the same time, I can understand if things are so tight that they "have" to sell tickets or they can't hold an open house.

It is all very confusing to me.

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Carl Gleba

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Forgive my ignorance of not knowing how these things work, but TICKETS?! Is PB so flush with liquid assets that they can say, "oh we're so high falutin' that you've got to pay to hang out with us?" Don't get me wrong, I love PB and they are the ONLY system I have ever played, (well I think I played D6 starwars 2x but that shouldn't count) but I was under the impression that they NEEDED all their fans. At the same time, I can understand if things are so tight that they "have" to sell tickets or they can't hold an open house.

It is all very confusing to me.

There is a lot of planning and expense that goes into hosting around 300 guests. Think of what it would cost you to host that many people at your house.

Renting Of tables and chairs, purchase of food and drinks, organizing games and events, printing badges, getting prizes for the costume contest, food for the VIP night which is catered. Obviously I can't speak for Palladium but the tickets help with much of the cost. Even the soda, pizza and snakes they sell are at a reasonable cost. I don't think Palladium is making a mint here, but you can't honestly expect them to pay for all of this at a loss to the company?
ImageImage
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Carl Gleba wrote:
The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Forgive my ignorance of not knowing how these things work.

There is a lot of planning and expense that goes into hosting around 300 guests. Think of what it would cost you to host that many people at your house.

Renting Of tables and chairs, purchase of food and drinks, organizing games and events, printing badges, getting prizes for the costume contest, food for the VIP night which is catered. Obviously I can't speak for Palladium but the tickets help with much of the cost. Even the soda, pizza and snakes they sell are at a reasonable cost. I don't think Palladium is making a mint here, but you can't honestly expect them to pay for all of this at a loss to the company?

Thank you for explaining what all goes into it. As I noted above, I don't know what all goes in to any of it.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

I've been part of convention teams over the years and its amazing how fast the costs pile up. Also, in the case of company hosting an event, they need to recoup the losses from the time spent in the con planning and hosting and hopefully make a profit. Paizo hosts a con for Pathfinder and WotC hosts one for their Living D&D campaigns. The costs for attending a "company con" are about the same as a regional game convention, but the big difference is more access to authors/artists by the fans and all the gamers in attendance are focused on the company games, aka at the PB OH, all the games are PB games.

Again, that's why the OH is so valuable for PB fans.
Atmori
Newb

Unread post by Atmori »

Guys, I understand that it's expensive for someone.
But publishers are not to blame for the fact that you live very far from the place where convention usually takes place.
I'm from Michigan, I got there.
For the sake of what you love, and what brings you pleasure. Do not feel sorry for the money.
My persoanl opinion :)
"But man is not made for defeat. A man can be destroyed but not defeated."
General project of the past year Bestazy.From the spring of 2018.Six months of development.

Return to “Palladium Open House”