Yet another question

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Grazzik
Adventurer

Re: Yet another question

Unread post by Grazzik »

The skill includes knowing how to care for the animal, set out loads or riding equipment, and control the animal should something happen. So, while anyone can tug on a length of rope tied around a horse's neck, without the appropriate knowledge would they know how to replace the rope with a bridle and setting the bit? What if the horse refuses to budge? Eats the wrong plant? Dehydrates? Gets hurt moving onto sharp rocky ground or thick underbrush? etc. If you are going to just have a pack animal, go with one that is somewhat less maintenance like a donkey or mule.
Prysus
Champion

Re: Yet another question

Unread post by Prysus »

Smiling_Bandit wrote:Good day folks! I've been poking around and something caught my fancy. So where we stand right now is picking up horsemanship: General to move from point A to point B with the minimum effort on the part of the character. So I was wondering if I could not pick up the horsemanship and lead the horse/pony. I would think a person could lead/guide without any sort of horsemanship on the character.

Smiling_Bandit - Always happy to be proven wrong

Greetings and Salutations. So I'll start by asking: Does anyone in the party have Horsemanship (any type)? As Grazzik points out, there's a fair bit more to the Horsemanship skill. However, as a G.M., that actually works in your favor and this is the way I'd rule it ...

Short Answer: If the horses have been tamed and trained, and someone in the group has Horsemanship, then you can probably buy horses for everyone and everyone can effectively ride (or lead/guide, if preferred) from Point A to Point B without much issue.

Long Answer: Wild or highly spirited horses would be a no-go for anyone trained. However, a person skilled with Horsemanship can help pick out a good horse for the untrained. Probably a calm, older horse. The older horse will know to stay with the herd, so the unskilled rider doesn't need to do as much other than stay seated. I can say I've personally ridden a horse for 2 hours without any training (beyond a few general pointers for like 5 minutes before you mount the horse), but the conditions were set to make this possible. My only real issue with the experience is riding in a saddle for 2 hours is very uncomfortable.

The skilled character would be the one who is in charge of care for the horses, such as taking on and off the saddles, setting the bit, etc. Others can help with instruction/supervision ("Hold out the apple open palmed. A horse won't intentionally bite you, but if your fingers are in the way it might on accident"). Without that skilled character to keep things together, it'll probably start falling apart and problems would keep arising (due to proper maintenance and care, as Grazzik points out above).

Also keep in mind, this is all considering fairly favorable conditions such as a road or easy terrain. If you try to make the horse race, jump, use stairs, etc. issues will start to arise. Also, if something occurs, you're not as likely to be able to keep the horse calm and it can buck you (not trying to throw a rider, just a byproduct of its panic) while you don't have the skill to hold on.

Palladium skills often cover multiple things, but doing some of the basics of that skill won't necessarily require the full skill. Once a situation arises that requires more than the basics (and, in this case, the horse helping), problems will arise. A skilled character can help get things back on track though.

Hope some of that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”