RIFTS STUFF IN PFRPG

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DoctorRomulus
D-Bee

RIFTS STUFF IN PFRPG

Unread post by DoctorRomulus »

HEY ALL,

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!

Just wondering how many of you use things like Races, OCCs, Spells and other things from RIFTS for your PFRPG game?
And how successful have you been with it?
Famous Last Words: "Oooh, shiny!!"
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: RIFTS STUFF IN PFRPG

Unread post by kiralon »

I have, had to tone them down but I have used things from most of the palladium range in pfrpg, the players seeing the xiticix was pretty funny, who doesn't love giant insectoid monsters with guns as a bad guys, they worked out to be good natural enemies of the fyr kree as an example.
It worked out pretty well once i got used to adjusting them.

Famous last words
"Hey, i'm fine doing this myself"
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I never do that. If anything, it works the other way. You port everything into the Palladium dumping ground that is Rifts.

-Vek
"Keep the fantasy setting uncontaminated".
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Trying to play a little Gate?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
killgore444
Wanderer
Comment: Brains are of little value to a warrior if they are no longer contained in his broken skull.

Unread post by killgore444 »

When you consider the fact that PFRPG has Telemechanics in the psionics section, I think that a little bit of cross-over was built in.
Doubly so if you take a gander of the Hero group shown in the artwork of the 1st ed. Quite apart from several people from the Mechaniods game (non-rifts version), there's a flipping Zendredi. So I really don't see any issue with importing things from Rifts into PF.

Although I do admit, other than actual spells, I've tended to limit it somewhat. HU on the other hand, I've run several games that had mutant powers develop throughout the world and all the OCCs are just choices on the education system.
History is where we look to for answers and guidance. History explains who we are, where we came from, and everything about our world. History is full of lies.
"Changing history to suit your purposes has a long and successful history."
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

killgore444 wrote:When you consider the fact that PFRPG has Telemechanics in the psionics section, I think that a little bit of cross-over was built in.
Doubly so if you take a gander of the Hero group shown in the artwork of the 1st ed. Quite apart from several people from the Mechaniods game (non-rifts version), there's a flipping Zendredi. So I really don't see any issue with importing things from Rifts into PF.

Although I do admit, other than actual spells, I've tended to limit it somewhat. HU on the other hand, I've run several games that had mutant powers develop throughout the world and all the OCCs are just choices on the education system.

He was a Titan not a Zentradi. KS's PFRPG group was pre RT. The inclusion of telemechanics in the psionics section is likely a case of copy and paste as the 1e didn't have it.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
killgore444 wrote:When you consider the fact that PFRPG has Telemechanics in the psionics section, I think that a little bit of cross-over was built in.

He was a Titan not a Zentradi. KS's PFRPG group was pre RT. The inclusion of telemechanics in the psionics section is likely a case of copy and paste as the 1e didn't have it.

It is a little more than just cut and paste, as they added the words "siege machine" to the list of examples, so they at least thought about it a bit, and how it could be used in a medieval setting. I like it's inclusion, because if a GM does want to introduce a piece of modern or futuristic technology to the Palladium World, there is already baked into the game a way for an untrained native to understand and use this unknown other-dimensional object.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

Context and storytelling is key.

Re PCs, most tech based OCCs end up being demoted to unskilled labor or niche artisans if they can't use their advanced skills. PCs with powers that lend to the setting, like Psi-warriors, work well in particular for high powered PF games. Cyborgs, not so much. There is enough cross-pollination with the occasional rift, summoners, Land of the Dead, etc. that aliens, mutants, monsters, and other non-humans can have a place with the right context and backstory. Even once had Splugorth slavers transit through to pick up some ogres, but in doing so a T-Man renegade jumped ship. The T-Man went on to save a village and act as its defender.

The few Rifts cross-overs played with soldiers/mercs works best if they lose their gear somehow or run out of ammo fast. Had a wagon train of settlers kidnapped off Rifts Earth and taken to PF by an Orc war party led by an evil wizard, where the wagon train's defenders were stripped of their guns and armor. Even though the heroes got some guns back, the ammo didn't last long. Factor in downtime to adjust and learn new skills, particularly languages if they don't speak elvish.

PCs may try to recreate stuff from home, but the dimensional energy matrix (DB7) can limit that for energy weapons and manufacturing ammo for assault rifles can prove very difficult if you don't know how.

Magic is magic.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

The herbal magics and corresponding O.C.C.'s from Rifts England are generally pretty good to bring in.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”