Keremond's Spellshield

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Keremond's Spellshield

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I think this is clear but it's not 100%. The description of this item on page 161 in the Western Empire book states that it nullifies the effects of any spell cast on the wearer. That leaves me with two questions:

1. Does that include spells cast BY the wearer? I assume so because it's still being cast ON the wearer.

2. Does this absorb area of effect spells? They aren't cast on the wearer, they just affect the wearer. I'm parsing the words here, but it implies that the wearer must be the TARGET of the spell. So, if the spell were centered on the wearer, it might absorb the spell. Otherwise, roll to save.

3. What happens to any existing spell effects on someone, once they don the amulet?

4. What about something like Fiery Body? I cast it on myself and then punch the wearer? Does it absorb the spell?

5. Does it have to be against the skin? Will it absorb spells if it's held in the hand, or is in a bag?

-Vek
"As I weaken my party members."
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Keremond's Spellshield

Unread post by kiralon »

This is how i play items like that
1. Yes, any spell that targets the wearer.
2. No, has to target the wearer, so they will burn in a wall of fire, but fireball will be absorbed. A cloud of slumber however targeting(centred) on the wearer wouldn't effect the wearer.
3. Only spells cast when wearer is wearing the pendant will be affected.
4. Not cast on wearer so time to burn
5. As a necklace some part of it should be touching skin, but not all is necessary.
Last edited by kiralon on Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Veknironth
Hero

Well, one more conundrum. What about a spell like Levitation or Mini-Fireballs? You cast it on yourself, but you could use the spell effect on the wearer. So, if Veknironth casts mini fireballs on himself and rhen throws the fireballs at somone wearing this amulet, what happens? Do they take damage? Are the fireballs absorbed? Does the amulet nullify the spell cast by Veknironth? Does the amulet absorb the fireballs? If so, how much PPE does it absorb? What about the next attack when Veknironth throws another set of mini fireballs? The same works for trying to levitate someone against his or her will, and lots of other similar spells.

What about spell effects of magic items?

-Vek
"Down the rabbit hole."
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

I play levitate is cast on a target, and you can't change that target, so would fail as it is targeted. Mini fireball spell however is one spell effect so I'd play it that it would stop the first hit from effecting you, and further hits would be ignored and not absorb ppe. For spells out of items i would rule from similar spells, especially if damage was the same would be the amount it absorbed.

But i wouldn't let a player get one to begin with as it would cause arguments mid game.
Veknironth
Hero

Well, to close this down, I reached out to Bill Coffin. He says it only affects spells cast directly on the wearer, it would not absorb AoE spells. It also would not affect something like Mini-Fireballs, Wall of Ice, etc.

-Vek
"I enjoy being right. I assume Kiralon does as well."

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”