What is the PFRPG target number for Roll with Fall/impact?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GT
Explorer

What is the PFRPG target number for Roll with Fall/impact?

Unread post by GT »

What is the PFRPG target number for Roll with Fall/impact? As roll with punch is covered already on page 43.

The base target number isn't posted official in PFRPG.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: What is the PFRPG target number for Roll with Fall/impac

Unread post by kiralon »

Whatever the grounds strike roll is lol
Warmaster40k
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Warmaster40k »

Essentially, a roll with impact is rolled after a successful attack, and it must equal the attack roll. For falls through it's a 14 or better. So I found this in Rifts Ultimate Edition under combat terms Roll with Impact and the Roll with Blow under damage. The other thing, you take 1d6 pts of damage for every 10 feet you fall that was in Ninjas and Super Spies though.
I am the Omega, I am the thread killer, my post is death.
GT
Explorer

Unread post by GT »

kiralon wrote:Whatever the grounds strike roll is lol

Oh so any roll over 4 with bonuses! As the ground can only hit you if you miss your roll! I like that one!
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

GT wrote:What is the PFRPG target number for Roll with Fall/impact? As roll with punch is covered already on page 43.

The base target number isn't posted official in PFRPG.

I can't find it! I know it is in there somewhere! :(

It is specified in Rifts Ultimate Edition - "Falling characters must roll a 14 or higher on a twenty-sided die to roll with the fall". Just use that.

Edit: Oh, I just saw that Warmaster40k already pointed that out. Sorry!
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Soldier of Od wrote:It is specified in Rifts Ultimate Edition - "Falling characters must roll a 14 or higher on a twenty-sided die to roll with the fall". Just use that.

Which Means....., that the target number 'In Rifts' is 14.

PF2 being an entierly other game, any rules found in a gamebook of the other PB game lines, are only applicable to the PF game if the GM of each individual games says it does.

Looking at most of the PB Game Core Books....those with a section for roll with fall/impact rolling with an attack is vs. the attacker's strike roll. and vs falling is vs 14.
However, the PF2 is not the only Core book w/o a section for roll with... section. The HU2 core book (& HUGMG) is also w/o this section also.
----------------------------------------------------

I do like kiralon's idea about only needing a 4 to roll with impact. However, I would only apply a four when the fight is on level ground. Applying difficulty modifiers for how un-even the ground is and the pitch of the level of the ground. Other modifiers I can think of are whether the ground is dirt, sand, or rock, and if there is vegitation on the ground, and from what elevation the fall was from. So I might say that a 14 would be the Maxiumum difficulty level to roll vs falling.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

GT wrote:

Oh so any roll over 4 with bonuses! As the ground can only hit you if you miss your roll! I like that one!

A target number of 4 though is pretty weak, 20% of the time you should fail. However, once you factor in skills (HTH, Physical) and other bonuses (from powers or class or race) you can actually reduce that number to auto-sucess (unless you play with a natural 1 roll is auto fail house rule).

Physical Skills (main book) can provide a total of +6 from 5 Skills (main book: acrobatics, Athletics, boxing, gymnastics, wrestling). Couple that with the starting HTH skill (3 of 4, main book and Assassin picks it up at a later level) provide a bonus of +2 minimum. And you could take 2 physical skills and it would be impossible to fail a target number of 4.

Personally, I see "Roll with Fall/Impact" as working like a Pull Punch. The character makes a "strike roll" and then a second die roll to pull punch (or in this case roll with impact).

Spoiler:
... of course a roll of 1-4 with bonuses constitutes a miss, as they have just "throw yourself at the ground and miss" which results in them flying
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

The ground gets +2 to strike with every 10 feet you fall over 10ft.
(ignores living sdc)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Warmaster40k wrote:Essentially, a roll with impact is rolled after a successful attack, and it must equal the attack roll. For falls through it's a 14 or better. So I found this in Rifts Ultimate Edition under combat terms Roll with Impact and the Roll with Blow under damage. The other thing, you take 1d6 pts of damage for every 10 feet you fall that was in Ninjas and Super Spies though.

Gee does that take into account terminal velocity? :)
Which by the way occurs in about 12 seconds after traveling approximately 1500 feet (not in a dive) and reaching a speed of 121 mph
so per rules 150d6 is how much damage a person receives reaching terminal velocity. But if they fall 1510 feet they take 151d6 damage even though they are going the same speed so somehow distance with a fixed rate of travel figures in to the Palladium E=MC^2 rule.
So if you shoot a bullet and it is at short range it should do less damage than one shot at long range... :roll:

Yeah, yeah rule made so extra maths wouldn't be needed. But they should put a limit on it for terminal velocity
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

ShadowLogan wrote:
GT wrote:

A target number of 4 though is pretty weak, 20% of the time you should fail. However, once you factor in skills (HTH, Physical) and other bonuses (from powers or class or race) you can actually reduce that number to auto-sucess (unless you play with a natural 1 roll is auto fail house rule).

Physical Skills (main book) can provide a total of +6 from 5 Skills (main book: acrobatics, Athletics, boxing, gymnastics, wrestling). Couple that with the starting HTH skill (3 of 4, main book and Assassin picks it up at a later level) provide a bonus of +2 minimum. And you could take 2 physical skills and it would be impossible to fail a target number of 4.

Personally, I see "Roll with Fall/Impact" as working like a Pull Punch. The character makes a "strike roll" and then a second die roll to pull punch (or in this case roll with impact).

Spoiler:
... of course a roll of 1-4 with bonuses constitutes a miss, as they have just "throw yourself at the ground and miss" which results in them flying

but only into the next nearest solid object or bystander unless of course that is missed as well.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

I use the 1d6 damage per 10ft rule, maxed out at 20d6 for first ed.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

ShadowLogan wrote:Personally, I see "Roll with Fall/Impact" as working like a Pull Punch. The character makes a "strike roll" and then a second die roll to pull punch (or in this case roll with impact).

The target number for a pull punch is 11 or better. You don't have to roll over your own strike roll to pull your punch.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

A modification I played with a number of years ago was to rework defense, and get rid of parries, dodges, and rolls, replacing them with Defenses.

So, you had full defenses, partial defenses, and automatic defenses.

A full defense was + your defense bonus. It took an action, and avoided all damage.
A partial defense was +3 and your defense bonus. It took an action, and avoided half the damage.
An automatic defense was -3 and your defense bonus (so, if you had a +4 defense, you could do an automatic defense at -3 + 4, or +1). It did not take an action, and avoided all damage.

You could also do an automatic partial defense, which was at your defense bonus, but avoided only half damage.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Tigerman543
D-Bee
Comment: " Never was a good war or a bad peace."-Benjamian Franklin

Unread post by Tigerman543 »

I've used this since Robotech in the 90's. Punch Roll Fall Impact Halves Damage so if you take a punch or Impact roll over the Attackers Strike number. Falls take damage depending on how high you are up. If you don't roll a 5 you take half damage.

So a +4 for example to punch roll fall impact on the ground needs a 6 or better to not take full damage. An Explosion same thing like in the movies when charges go off or whatever. Direct Missle Impacts need to beat the Attackers Strike Roll or Punches.

Pretty much how I have used this for years and haven't seen any changes. Players trying to Climb up a mountain realize that it's a lot of damage if you slip.
GT
Explorer

Unread post by GT »

So would the ground get a bonus to hit? Or would it be considered a simultaneous strike?
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

GT wrote:

Yeah, but if the ground gets a natural 1 that means it missed so badly you fell up, into space, and die from being exposed to the vacuum.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”