Landmarks of Palladium

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Zenviscaype
D-Bee

Landmarks of Palladium

Unread post by Zenviscaype »

I am running a world game and need a map with landmarks of the lakes and mountains between Timiro and Yin Sloth. Suggestions?
Hotrod
Knight

Re: Landmarks of Palladium

Unread post by Hotrod »

Zenviscaype wrote:I am running a world game and need a map with landmarks of the lakes and mountains between Timiro and Yin Sloth. Suggestions?

I've made a map of Timiro that you can find in my signature below. I'm working on a Land of South Winds map right now that might be helpful; I'll be releasing it on my Patreon page in the next few weeks.

My next map project will be my final Palladium Fantasy map for a while: a single map that will include the Yin-Sloth Jungles, the Baalgor Wastelands, and Nimro, which could also be useful for your game once it's made.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Zenviscaype
D-Bee

Your a god send! Thank you.
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Yeah, Will rocks indeed.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Braden Campbell wrote:Yeah, Will rocks indeed.

Agreed :D
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I think about geography and maps more than most healthy, well-adjusted people do; I'm glad I've found a way to turn that obsession into something the folks here find pleasant and useful.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Hotrod wrote:
Zenviscaype wrote:I am running a world game and need a map with landmarks of the lakes and mountains between Timiro and Yin Sloth. Suggestions?

I've made a map of Timiro that you can find in my signature below. I'm working on a Land of South Winds map right now that might be helpful; I'll be releasing it on my Patreon page in the next few weeks.

My next map project will be my final Palladium Fantasy map for a while: a single map that will include the Yin-Sloth Jungles, the Baalgor Wastelands, and Nimro, which could also be useful for your game once it's made.

In Rifter number #63 you will have also have official details of the Timiro geography. So you think you can get Yin Sloth, Mount Nimiro, and Baalgor Wasteland all on map hunh? You will have to read all three books to get the detailed geography, good luck.
Zenviscaype
D-Bee

Does the maps include the cities mentioned in Library of Blethered Elf/Dwarf War?
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Hotrod wrote:I think about geography and maps more than most healthy, well-adjusted people do; I'm glad I've found a way to turn that obsession into something the folks here find pleasant and useful.

Me too :)
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Hotrod wrote:I think about geography and maps more than most healthy, well-adjusted people do; I'm glad I've found a way to turn that obsession into something the folks here find pleasant and useful.

Well considering one day last year I spent 6 hours comparing Palldium Fantasy maps with NOAA materials that I use for my geography class to try and determine what the climate of Palladium would be I clearly think about maps more than most healthy and well-adjusted people do but I have yet to create anything useful from it. :)
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Zenviscaype wrote:Does the maps include the cities mentioned in Library of Blethered Elf/Dwarf War?

Good question! No, they do not currently have any of the cities or ruins mapped in the Library of Bletherad Elf/Dwarf wars maps. I've mostly left the Old Kingdom alone except for territories where we have current-era information, such as around the Timiro Kingdom. I may create an Old Kingdom map at some point, and it might be fun to make multiple overlays for different eras of the Elf/Dwarf wars, but in general, I make maps for territories that are described in detail in published books, and the Old Kingdom is one of the few regions that doesn't have that kind of treatment yet (the other is the Great Inland Sea, Phi, and Lopan; I've already made a map of that region, but it's not finished yet and the current draft is only available to my patrons).
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Has anyone ever done some comparison of the dimensions of the "Palladium landmass" with the continents of Earth?

Being very unfamiliar with the setting except in the vaguest of terms, that would be an interesting way to get a sense of scale for things.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I believe someone did that ages ago....and what I remember was that the PF world is three times the size of earth, but what is mapped is more like a third of that world east to west.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

SolCannibal wrote:Has anyone ever done some comparison of the dimensions of the "Palladium landmass" with the continents of Earth?

Being very unfamiliar with the setting except in the vaguest of terms, that would be an interesting way to get a sense of scale for things.

You can add any 2-dimensional map as an overlay on Google Earth. I've done this before, and I suppose I could do it with the Palladium world map. The tricky bit is that the distance between longitude lines varies with latitude, so you have to pick a latitude and scale for that latitude.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Hotrod wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:Has anyone ever done some comparison of the dimensions of the "Palladium landmass" with the continents of Earth?

You can add any 2-dimensional map as an overlay on Google Earth. I've done this before, and I suppose I could do it with the Palladium world map. The tricky bit is that the distance between longitude lines varies with latitude, so you have to pick a latitude and scale for that latitude.

Is there any data on the individual parts of the continent or islands as to surface area that could be added up? What about Hades? It has the same shape do we have stats for it?
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

I haven't tried to do land mass, but a few things might help put distances into perspective.

In the PF revised book the scale is 400 miles per inch. The distance from the horn on the east coast of the Eastern Territories to the western tip of the Western Empire is 7 inches.
Palladium (east to west) 3200 miles roughly
US from northern California to Delaware coasts 2600 miles
Australia east to west 2500 miles
Africa from Senegal to the tip at the Gulf of Aden 4600 miles
South America Equador to Pernambuco just under 3200 miles.

Quite a bit of the map coast line (north to south) seems to be around 6 inches.
Palladium (north to south) 2400 miles.
Canadian border of North Dakota to the southern tip of Texas 1600 miles.
From the northern tip of the lower peninsula of Michigan, 2400 miles gets you to the border between Nicaragua and Costa Rica.
Australia from the northern tip of Queensland down to the bottom of Tasmania is about 2300 miles.
2400 miles gets you from the northern coast of Norway to the Mediterranean islands of Greece.

(All these distances according to Google Earth)
It is quite a large place to play around in.
Braden Campbell

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

From an official answer to a long-ago Q&A, we know there are four time zones from east to we4st as well.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Braden Campbell wrote:From an official answer to a long-ago Q&A, we know there are four time zones from east to we4st as well.

I really doubt there are "time zones" on the PF world.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

I use them, if characters teleport from haven in the day to the western empire they will likely end up there at night
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Braden Campbell wrote:From an official answer to a long-ago Q&A, we know there are four time zones from east to we4st as well.

I didn't know this. Are there actual time pieces like mechanical watches in Palladium Fantasy? I had always approached it as each town was a little different and it wasn't so much hour of the day as time of day like, dawn, midday, dusk, full dark things like that.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

kiralon wrote:I use them, if characters teleport from haven in the day to the western empire they will likely end up there at night

*waves hand* Hello, earth to kiralon, maybe you are forgetting what "Time Zones" are.

Since the PF world has never had things called ...Trains....or even things called Planes, there are not the idea called "time zones" there.
There is only "local time" based off the noon day sun.
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
kiralon wrote:I use them, if characters teleport from haven in the day to the western empire they will likely end up there at night

*waves hand* Hello, earth to kiralon, maybe you are forgetting what "Time Zones" are.

Since the PF world has never had things called ...Trains....or even things called Planes, there are not the idea called "time zones" there.

I don't think Kiralon is disputing any of that. But the lack of the term Time Zone, Trains, or Planes does not mean that the concept can't apply.

If someone teleports 3000 miles to the west in the Palladium world, do you think the sun would appear to be in the same spot in the sky afterwards that it was before the teleport?
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Kraynic wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

I don't think Kiralon is disputing any of that. But the lack of the term Time Zone, Trains, or Planes does not mean that the concept can't apply.

If someone teleports 3000 miles to the west in the Palladium world, do you think the sun would appear to be in the same spot in the sky afterwards that it was before the teleport?

Ah, now this makes more sense, sort of a confirmation of how the sun moves in the sky creating what amounts to effectively 4 time zones but not 4 organized zones agreed to by all for commerce. That makes more sense.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

If the church of light and dark has comprehensive star charts, then they would also probably be able to understand the concept of time zones. It would likely be something that is only known to nobility and scholars though. The average person on Palladium would simply know sunrise, noon and sunset.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

I don't really call them timezones, but the effect is the same, and the mages guild and the church (especially my church of light and dark) keep clocks and can tell you the time in various other places where there are either churches or mages guild (and teleports happen).

I also have a lesser fairy you can summon if you want to know the time - A Servant of the Ban Uairean or more commonly known as the bann of hours or woman of time.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Time based on the sun at noon is called 'local time'.

Clocks? what clocks? Remember what sort of world the PF world is. Tinkerers are ridiculed for their tinkering. (ref. to LoB, a Rifter and another topic in the PF forum.)

Not say they live of a disk world....there are differences in the local times...and that there maybe be a three or four hour difference between east and west coasts. It is note three-out time zones away, it is 3 or four hours difference in the local time.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

One of the more powerful guilds in timiro is the clockmakers guild and there are multiple clock shops that include sand and water types.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

kiralon wrote:One of the more powerful guilds in timiro is the clockmakers guild and there are multiple clock shops that include sand and water types.

Wow! I went straight to the guild list in the Credia description to see if a clockmakers' guild was there and it was - I must have totally missed that in the past! Where can we find the sand and water clock selling shops? Thanks.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

Well, from the 1st Ed. of The Old Ones, I can see the following shops (and Guild Hall) in the book:
Credia Docks, #5, Dormir's Clocks and Measuring Instruments
Old Timiro, Palace Area, #39, Clock Maker, water and sand types
Old Timiro, Park Side, #35, Clock Maker's Guild
Old Timiro, Park Side, #38, Clock Maker, water and sand types
Tanis, Market Area, #128, Clock Maker, water and sand clocks, expensive
Bith, #20, Gunther's Clock Shop: Specializes In water clocks. Gunther is a harm less kobold, but exceptionally secretive
Nisi, #25, Time Master Shop: This is a store specializing in sand clocks and other time keeping devices.

That last one mentions other time keeping devices, so we shouldn't discount the possibility of sundials, marked candles, etc. There might even be some crazy people out there making some sort of spring or weight powered contraption of variable accuracy.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Re: Time Zones...

Okay, folks, the existence of clocks do NOT result in Time Zones, regardless of what you want to call them. Look at our own orbiting rock. The Western world had reasonably accurate mechanical clocks six HUNDRED years ago.
Time Zones are less than 150 years old!
Until the Palladium world has organised "high" speed and high capacity transport systems, I doubt it will see it's own Sandford Fleming come up with the idea.
Please also remember that most clocks on the Palladium world are likely sundials, water clocks of various designs/accuracy, or hour glasses of variable reliability.

Until masses of people start to travel more than 50km from home on a regular basis, I seriously doubt anyone will operate on anything other than "local time."
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Eric42
Wanderer

Unread post by Eric42 »

Of all the things that I ever thought I would see here on this forum, a heated debate about time zones and clocks wasn't one of them. May I throw my two cents in?

Time zones as an offical thing may not be very old, but as an idea, they are. I have no proof but I know that for as long as trains and carriage travel was a thing, time zones had been talked about. Greenwich Mean Time was first established in 1675 according the Wikipedia. And btw, the first pocket watch, which would have required very small parts, was first introduced in 1510. Time pieces like that can exist in a "tech-less" time.

Even if time zones don't formally exist within the world of Palladium Fantasy, it still should be obvious that noon occured at different times across the land. Noon at Y Oda would be different at the Isle Of Cyclops, for instance. So perhaps have the idea that there are Time zones may be helpful to us. Though I almost think there would be more than four time zones.

Perhaps various countries have pre-defined time zones within their borders only. The Western Empire could have a couple zones, but both the peoples of the Old Kingdom and Yin-Sloth Jungles would never recognize them. Just in idea.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Kraynic wrote:Well, from the 1st Ed. of The Old Ones, I can see the following shops (and Guild Hall) in the book:
Bith, #20, Gunther's Clock Shop: Specializes In water clocks. Gunther is a harm less kobold, but exceptionally secretive
Nisi, #25, Time Master Shop: This is a store specializing in sand clocks and other time keeping devices.

That last one mentions other time keeping devices, so we shouldn't discount the possibility of sundials, marked candles, etc. There might even be some crazy people out there making some sort of spring or weight powered contraption of variable accuracy.

Thanks!
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I actually address the issue of time zones and the problem of longitude in the joint project that Glen Evans and I have been working on for the last couple of years. It's part of a section called "Navigation in a Fantasy World." Humans have been able to measure latitude pretty accurately for thousands of years. Longitude is something we've only gotten good at in the last couple of hundred years, once we started getting accurate ways to measure time. This is why so many of the old maps from 500 years ago are crazy inaccurate.

Short version of how I address the longitude problem in Palladium Fantasy: Magic can do it, but it tends to be very expensive, and the folks who can afford it most (Western Empire) don't really give a crap about precision navigation when they can just hug the coast. Psionics can also do it (astral plane travel, look at a known clock at a known point, then astral plane travel back and take sun measurements) and are a popular way to navigate in Timiro, where they have very accurate water/sand clocks, which are awesome on land but suck in the swaying seas. There's also Lunar timekeeping (which was a real thing back in the late 1800s and could plausibly work for folks who have high-quality sextants), which is a Bizantium state secret.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Kraynic wrote:Well, from the 1st Ed. of The Old Ones, I can see the following shops (and Guild Hall) in the book:

Which doesn't mean they are everywhere. At most that only implies that the rich have them.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

On page 22 of the Bizantium book there is a blurb in the text
The fore hatch and the storage locker were both open, although the main hatch was sealed. The ships clock was not functioning and the compass was destroyed, the sextant was gone.
Which makes it sound like the ships have clocks, and makes it sound like the clock was expected, and as sand and water clocks don't work well at sea you could surmise it was a mechanical clock, which is the type of clock most people imagine.

However, in standard confusing palladium fashion, the Bizantium book also says
"Clock Tower, Unlike most of the Palladium World, where time is measured by the position of the sun in the sky"
This makes me think sundials are more common, because measured by the position of the sun does imply more precision than just morning, noon and afternoon, but this bit is copy pasted out of the first ed high seas book.

Couldn't find mention of clocks in the eastern and western books, which i would say was odd except they were all written by different authors so they are likely missing information due to this, but i could have easily overlooked bits.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

And Bizantium is a rich nation.

I find the mentioning of clocks in a fantasy world the odd duck.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Both the western empire and eastern territories have places that are as rich as Credia and there is no mention of clocks means it's more likely a small oversight of the writer than actually not being there after having their existence established in the second book published, especially in the western empire. I could easily see a fair few of the western families lording it over the lesser peasants who can't tell the time.
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:And Bizantium is a rich nation.

I don't.

I expect every naval ship has a sandglasses. How do you navigate with an obscured sky? By compass, heaving the log (to determine speed of travel), and time. According to wikipedia, the naval sandglass goes back to the 14th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_sandglass
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Or to say I would be surprised to have them mentioned more then they have been.

Kraynic wrote: How do you navigate with an obscured sky? By compass, heaving the log (to determine speed of travel), and time.

By compass and log is how Christopher Columbus navigated when he couldn't see the stars. Everything else aside, he was an awesome navigator.

-------
sandglasses, also known as (a.k.a.) hourglasses.
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:sandglasses, also known as (a.k.a.) hourglasses.

Yes. Also known as a "sand clock".
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Kraynic wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:And Bizantium is a rich nation.

I don't.

I expect every naval ship has a sandglasses. How do you navigate with an obscured sky? By compass, heaving the log (to determine speed of travel), and time. According to wikipedia, the naval sandglass goes back to the 14th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_sandglass

Entirely plausible, but I would point out that, with the world being one big continent, most ships can simply hug the coast and use landmarks and terrain associations to find their way. A compass would be helpful, but not essential for folks hugging the coast.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

There are two simple facts that would make the existence of clocks and potentially time zones easily possible on Palladium. One is interdimensional travel. Many dragons and other beings have come to the palladium world from other worlds. Even worlds where high technology exist. Most of the gods fit this as well and they could easily pass the knowledge to their priests.
The second is magic travel. While there aren't airplanes, there is teleportation, pegasus, flying carpets, flying ships and other means of quickly covering large distances. But the Church of Light and Dark in the ET and the Nobles of the Western Empire I would expect to have time zones mapped out.
As I mentioned earlier, this would be information that only the rich or properly connected would have. The average person MAY realize that when it is noon in the ET , it is early morning in the WE, but I would expect that is uncommon. Most people wouldn't have the education to grasp the concept.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

D-travelrs....not a big enough problem to get them established.
Teleporters...not a big enough problem for ALL, or even most, of the nations and city-states to cooperate in this.
Flying steed, boats, carpets...are too slow and not bound to a fixed track for it to be a problem.

The only way the priesthood would have problems is if they had telepathic meetings ranging across the continent and only had a limited time during the meeting so they would have to know what time it was in the main temple to coordinate when to link up. But since telepathy isn't a priestly power in the PB games....and Telepathy in the PB games isn't that far ranging.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Hotrod wrote:I actually address the issue of time zones and the problem of longitude in the joint project that Glen Evans and I have been working on for the last couple of years. It's part of a section called "Navigation in a Fantasy World." Humans have been able to measure latitude pretty accurately for thousands of years. Longitude is something we've only gotten good at in the last couple of hundred years, once we started getting accurate ways to measure time. This is why so many of the old maps from 500 years ago are crazy inaccurate.

Short version of how I address the longitude problem in Palladium Fantasy: Magic can do it, but it tends to be very expensive, and the folks who can afford it most (Western Empire) don't really give a crap about precision navigation when they can just hug the coast. Psionics can also do it (astral plane travel, look at a known clock at a known point, then astral plane travel back and take sun measurements) and are a popular way to navigate in Timiro, where they have very accurate water/sand clocks, which are awesome on land but suck in the swaying seas. There's also Lunar timekeeping (which was a real thing back in the late 1800s and could plausibly work for folks who have high-quality sextants), which is a Bizantium state secret.

Greetings and Salutations. For the record, Dragons & Gods, page 135-136, under the Almanac of Light & Dark ...

... and the rising and setting times if the sun and moon (keyed for the different longtitudes), comes out every five years.

So, thanks to the Church of Light & Dark keeps an accurate calendar (with records dating back 10,000 years and the staff of astronomers), and is the basis for all other calendars on the Palladium World. They also track the rise and set of the sun and moon based on longtitude. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

Hotrod wrote:Entirely plausible, but I would point out that, with the world being one big continent, most ships can simply hug the coast and use landmarks and terrain associations to find their way. A compass would be helpful, but not essential for folks hugging the coast.

My understanding (possibly wrong) is that the farthest you could really hope to see and distinguish sails (not body) of another ship on the ocean during the tall sailing ship days was about 20 miles. Unless there are coastal mountains, you aren't going to see land much farther.

This means that you could only be out of sight of land for about 10 miles when traveling between the mainland and Bizantium.
You would be out of sight of land at least for 30 miles getting to the closest of the Floenry Isles from the Land of the South Winds.
Unless you follow the coasts up around the Sea of Dread, you can't get to the Western Empire from the north (Bizantium) without being out of sight of land for 170ish miles (Isle of the Cyclops is the closest).
To avoid following the coast of the Algorian Sea around, you would need to be out of sight of land for 160ish miles to cross the mouth of that sea.
You can't go from the Western Empire to the Ophid's Grasslands colonies without leaving sight of land for 60ish miles.
You can't go between Phi and Lopan without leaving sight of land for 60ish miles.

While it wouldn't surprise me if people with smaller vessels would stay near enough to shore to run to it in the case of a change of weather, I expect any experienced (long haul) Naval or Merchant captain will be well acquainted with sailing out of sight of land. If nothing else, being able to bypass all the various larger inlets that wrinkle the coast will save time and supplies (and therefore money). It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of port hopping traders or fishermen, probably don't leave sight of land often except to avoid pirates, or in the attempt to not give away the location of their favorite fishing spot.

Basically, I expect it varies. The wider traveled the captain, and the sturdier the vessel, the more likely they are comfortable with navigation out of sight of land. In my games, someone with sailing, astronomy, and mathematics can navigate by chart plot. And we know that charts exist (and are sometimes wildly inaccurate) from the High Seas book. Well, at least in 1E. I'm not sure how much of that content made it into 2E (like the circumnavigation story with the Bizantium crew having inaccurate charts telling them the Yin-Sloth Jungles were an island that could be bypassed through the Sea of Scarlet Waters, or purchasing accurate Western Empire charts of the area to avoid being side tracked into other inlets that won't take them anywhere).
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Kraynic wrote:
Hotrod wrote:Entirely plausible, but I would point out that, with the world being one big continent, most ships can simply hug the coast and use landmarks and terrain associations to find their way. A compass would be helpful, but not essential for folks hugging the coast.

My understanding (possibly wrong) is that the farthest you could really hope to see and distinguish sails (not body) of another ship on the ocean during the tall sailing ship days was about 20 miles. Unless there are coastal mountains, you aren't going to see land much farther.

This means that you could only be out of sight of land for about 10 miles when traveling between the mainland and Bizantium.
You would be out of sight of land at least for 30 miles getting to the closest of the Floenry Isles from the Land of the South Winds.
Unless you follow the coasts up around the Sea of Dread, you can't get to the Western Empire from the north (Bizantium) without being out of sight of land for 170ish miles (Isle of the Cyclops is the closest).
To avoid following the coast of the Algorian Sea around, you would need to be out of sight of land for 160ish miles to cross the mouth of that sea.
You can't go from the Western Empire to the Ophid's Grasslands colonies without leaving sight of land for 60ish miles.
You can't go between Phi and Lopan without leaving sight of land for 60ish miles.

While it wouldn't surprise me if people with smaller vessels would stay near enough to shore to run to it in the case of a change of weather, I expect any experienced (long haul) Naval or Merchant captain will be well acquainted with sailing out of sight of land. If nothing else, being able to bypass all the various larger inlets that wrinkle the coast will save time and supplies (and therefore money). It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of port hopping traders or fishermen, probably don't leave sight of land often except to avoid pirates, or in the attempt to not give away the location of their favorite fishing spot.

Basically, I expect it varies. The wider traveled the captain, and the sturdier the vessel, the more likely they are comfortable with navigation out of sight of land. In my games, someone with sailing, astronomy, and mathematics can navigate by chart plot. And we know that charts exist (and are sometimes wildly inaccurate) from the High Seas book. Well, at least in 1E. I'm not sure how much of that content made it into 2E (like the circumnavigation story with the Bizantium crew having inaccurate charts telling them the Yin-Sloth Jungles were an island that could be bypassed through the Sea of Scarlet Waters, or purchasing accurate Western Empire charts of the area to avoid being side tracked into other inlets that won't take them anywhere).

For sure, there would be a wide variety of navigation needs, techniques, standards of measurement, and charts, and many would not be compatible with each other. Even something as trivial as time of day is something that ancient nations measured in different ways. Is a day a fixed increment of time, or is it the time between sunrise and sunset? Depends on who you ask. How do you measure angles: in degrees, radians, or mills? Depends on who you ask. Do you measure distance in miles, kilometers, or leagues? Does your number system use base 10? Even if you have accurate carts for every region, can you read and write in the languages used in each chart?

This is why effective navigation anywhere in the world would be a monumental challenge, even if you have great charts and tools. And such a collection would be difficult to acquire. And if any of your tools or charts are inaccurate, you’re likely to have some adventures in navigation.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

Hotrod wrote:And if any of your tools or charts are inaccurate, you’re likely to have some adventures in navigation.

Oh no, everyone selling charts and maps is always honest and accurate. :angel:

At least until you are out of view/hearing.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

I play that the churches and mages guild are the timekeepers because they can always tell with accuracy when its midnight and when its midday.
but mostly the churches, and especially the church of light and dark whom i make run the clock towers in the bigger cities
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Kraynic wrote:I haven't tried to do land mass, but a few things might help put distances into perspective.

In the PF revised book the scale is 400 miles per inch. The distance from the horn on the east coast of the Eastern Territories to the western tip of the Western Empire is 7 inches.

From the northern tip of the lower peninsula of Michigan, 2400 miles gets you to the border between Nicaragua and Costa Rica.
Australia from the northern tip of Queensland down to the bottom of Tasmania is about 2300 miles.
2400 miles gets you from the northern coast of Norway to the Mediterranean islands of Greece.

So, if i'm guesstimating things right from your numbers, Palladium is roughly equivalent to a good chunk of South America, possibly equal to the area of Brazil more or less.

While indeed a pretty impressive area to flesh out and explore, it leads to questions about the subject of other landmasses, specially considering the dimension is supposedly three times the size of Earth (in surface area, i think). It leads to even more questions i relation to its supposed "mirror" dimension, the Realm of Hades.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

SolCannibal wrote:
Kraynic wrote:I haven't tried to do land mass, but a few things might help put distances into perspective.

So, if i'm guesstimating things right from your numbers, Palladium is roughly equivalent to a good chunk of South America, possibly equal to the area of Brazil more or less.

While indeed a pretty impressive area to flesh out and explore, it leads to questions about the subject of other landmasses, specially considering the dimension is supposedly three times the size of Earth (in surface area, i think). It leads to even more questions i relation to its supposed "mirror" dimension, the Realm of Hades.

If this is accurate than than Palladium and Hades are much smaller than I thought. I had always assumed it was closer to the size of Eurasia. Big enough to make travel times a little longer but not so big as say a Pangea. Would love to see an accurate surface area calculation based on the maps in the books.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”