Weapon shock

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Weapon shock

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, there are a lot of weapons that refuse to be wielded by certain characters. If an undesireable character touches said weapon, it delivers them a shock. What happens when someone tries to use that weapon with a spell or power? For example, can you pick up a holy weapon with telekinesis and use it? What about Ectoplasm? If not, does the shock somehow track back through the attempted control method?

-Vek
"What about using a weapon by casting 'fly'"?
Soldier of Od
Hero

Re: Weapon shock

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

I don't see why you couldn't pick up a magic weapon using telekinesis or ectoplasm and use it to strike and parry like any other weapon, without it being able to shock you. It is not a ranged attack. But you couldn't activate any powers the weapon might have without actually touching it.
Regarding "fly", that is a question as to whether you can use fly to wield a weapon at all. My reading of this is no.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

1st...it is Rune weapons that have intelligence that damage a non-combatable alinement character. Not just any old weapon as the OP Immplies by leaving out the word 'rune' from his initial sentence.

If the char doesn't touch it then the damage doesn't happen. (rules answer)

As a GM, I might have the Rune Weapon ""shock"" the character if they pick it up with TK or other object manipulation power or spell. If they picked it up to use as a weapon.

Then as a GM I might have the rune weapon the char has already bonded with shock the char if they were to start cavorting/two-timing with another rune weapon.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I allow it with Telekinesis, but not with ectoplasm.

Telekinesis is you lifting up something more or less by its aura; you are not required to touch it, so you'd be insulated from any shock.

Ectoplasm is you using your suffused aura to manipulate it. Your aura acts as a conductor, meaning if you pick it up with attached ectoplasm, it hits you.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, it's not just rune weapons. Some Holy Weapons also have the alignment issue. If you pick it up and use it via telekinesis, would it still count as a magic weapon? Would it do, for example, 4d6 damge from being magical, or would it just to the normal 2d6?

-Vek
"What about crystal weapons?"
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Mark Hall wrote:I allow it with Telekinesis, but not with ectoplasm.

Telekinesis is you lifting up something more or less by its aura; you are not required to touch it, so you'd be insulated from any shock.

Ectoplasm is you using your suffused aura to manipulate it. Your aura acts as a conductor, meaning if you pick it up with attached ectoplasm, it hits you.

+1

Though I would add the Rune Weapon's intelligence might give it as "saving throw" to resist TK (IINM), but even w/o the saving throw it could still potentially use its powers in place of the "touch shock" ability.

Veknironth wrote:Well, it's not just rune weapons. Some Holy Weapons also have the alignment issue. If you pick it up and use it via telekinesis, would it still count as a magic weapon? Would it do, for example, 4d6 damge from being magical, or would it just to the normal 2d6?

-Vek
"What about crystal weapons?"

I think it would still count as magical weapon, even via TK or EP. Nothing blocks that. What you wouldn't be able to do is call upon selectable powers/features (ie spells, abilities) but something like "extra damage" that is always on would be available. By a literal interpretation, Animated Dead (or Zombie/Mummy or Golems) do not have alignments (in Spell description), but they can still pickup and use weapons (which would include Rune/Holy since nothing prevents them from using magic weapons).
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

Veknironth wrote:"What about crystal weapons?"

My impression would be that crystal weapons require physical contact. From Island at the Edge of the World entry on crystal swords:

The crystal sword will remain active for four melees/minutes for each one I.S .P. expended and as long as contact with the hilt is maintained.

I suppose the crystal could be used as a projectile by way of telekinesis though. Other books that I haven't seen may have other mechanics for crystal weapons, so there may be ones that stay active when you let go of them.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Veknironth wrote:Well, it's not just rune weapons. Some Holy Weapons also have the alignment issue.

I stand partially corrected. Yes, you triggered a OCD response.

I@tEotW crystal stuff...I don't think they have such a penalty as Rune and Holy weapons do for alinement clashes.

Veknironth wrote: If you pick it up and use it via telekinesis, would it still count as a magic weapon? Would it do, for example, 4d6 damage from being magical, or would it just to the normal 2d6?

Unless in a AMC the magic Rune/Holy weapon would do its normal damage rating. That does mean if a rune longsword does 4D6 SD if used vie a touchless manipulation power or spell it will still do 4D6 SD.

With all of them, I believe that to use the items' powers, the character has to physically touch the item. More so (as in always) with the psionic items, than the Rune and Holy weapons/items (where there is a maybe the items will like you and might act on the char's behalf.)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”