Psionics Despell

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MrShowtime
Wanderer

Psionics Despell

Unread post by MrShowtime »

Hey all, we ran into this question today. Can psionic characters dispel something like bio-manipulation before the duration elapses?

Thanks for the help. Couldn't find anything in the main book other than for magic. Wasn't sure if they were similar in that situation or not.
Last edited by MrShowtime on Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Psionics Despell

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Their own powers, I don't think it has been explicitly said in the PF text. But looking at the other games psions powers end when knocked out, and some powers when they loose Line of Sight. But also, psychics are 'suppose' to be in control of their powers as matter of concept. So in my opinion Yes they can discontinue the use of their own psionic power by choosing to.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Unread post by Father Goose »

Like Drew, I would be inclined to say yes. Not based on specific rules (which I cannot see it saying one way or another), but rather based on the concept of psionics.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
MrShowtime
Wanderer

Ok my only issue with your relies is that on some psionic abilities (like Telekinetic Force Field) is specifically says you can dispel it but not on other abilities. It seems like a redundancy that, unless they forgot, wouldn't have been put in. Thoughts?
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Baring evidence of clear intent on way or the other, I would consider it a GM ruling situation. I'm inclined to rule that most psychics have enough control over their powers to both start and stop them.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I would allow it, yes.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Their own powers, I don't think it has been explicitly said in the PF text. But looking at the other games psions powers end when knocked out, and some powers when they loose Line of Sight. But also, psychics are 'suppose' to be in control of their powers as matter of concept. So in my opinion Yes they can discontinue the use of their own psionic power by choosing to.

Megaversally Rifts WB12 pg33-4 goes into detail on various aspects of Psionic Powers (duration, saving throw, range, level of experience, area effect) and going into the "Duration" block (very bottom of pg33 right column and continues to top of pg34 left side) states "The psychic using a mind power can cancel/stop its effect or influence instantly at any time. Likewise, the psychic does not have to create the psionic manifestation for its full duration (or full damage, range, etc),"

I could not find a similar expansive definition in PF2E main book (or HU2E or RUE).
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Could Mind Block or Group Mind Block stop someone else's effects?
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Can Mind Block/Group-MB/MB-Auto stop someone else's effects?

It would depend on the specific power, someone using something like TK or Ectoplasm on the hypothetical psychic isn't going to be protected via Mind Block, but some powers will be (listed in descriptions). Though I admit some powers might be in a gray area depending on how the GM views them working.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Hotrod wrote:Could Mind Block or Group Mind Block stop someone else's effects?

I would allow mind block (including Group or Mind-block Auto-Defense) to end effects that they defend against.

So, mind block canonically blocks
Telepathy
Empathy
Hypnotic Suggestion*
Induced Nightmares*
Empathic Transfer

I would expand that to include:
Presence Sense
See Aura (you can see it, but it's like a blank wall erected around them)
Sense Evil
Sense Magic
Catatonic Strike*
Cause Insanity*
Cure Insanity
Insert Memory*
Invisible Haze
Mental Illusion
Mentally Possess Others
Mind Bond*
Mind Wipe*
Telemechanics (if, for some reason, you have mechanical parts that would be subject to this)

Now, those marked with an asterisk I would have Mind Block prevent, but it would not heal them... so if I put a Hypnotic Suggestion on Father Goose, then he erected a Mind Block, the hypnotic suggestion I gave him would not be erased, but it would prevent future hypnotic suggestions. An inserted memory would still be there; if I did a Mind Bond 30 minutes ago, and then put up Mind Block, no one could Mind Bond me, but I would still have the knowledge I acquired (I tend to view Mind Bond as somewhat akin to imaging a hard drive). Since Invisible Haze is supposed to be an ongoing hypnotic suggestion, I would have it dissipate as time goes on... if you Invisible Haze, then I put up a Mind Block, then you do something that's going to draw attention, I am going to notice you... but I might not if you did it then quietly slipped away.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

ShadowLogan wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Their own powers, I don't think it has been explicitly said in the PF text. But looking at the other games psions powers end when knocked out, and some powers when they loose Line of Sight. But also, psychics are 'suppose' to be in control of their powers as matter of concept. So in my opinion Yes they can discontinue the use of their own psionic power by choosing to.

Megaversally Rifts WB12 pg33-4 goes into detail on various aspects of Psionic Powers (duration, saving throw, range, level of experience, area effect) and going into the "Duration" block (very bottom of pg33 right column and continues to top of pg34 left side) states "The psychic using a mind power can cancel/stop its effect or influence instantly at any time. Likewise, the psychic does not have to create the psionic manifestation for its full duration (or full damage, range, etc),"

I could not find a similar expansive definition in PF2E main book (or HU2E or RUE).

Yep I understand that there are more comprehensive rules for Psionics for the Rifts game. But to make them a part of the PF Game (or any other PB Game other than Rifts) takes an act of GM to import them. Which is why they are only mentioned in passing to support my opinion. And not saying/implying they take precedent over the PF canon rules.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Father Goose
Adventurer

So Mark Hall is the reason I ate that entire sleeve of Oreos! I knew it wasn't my idea!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Father Goose wrote:So Mark Hall is the reason I ate that entire sleeve of Oreos! I knew it wasn't my idea!

*chuckles*
And I thought is was just because of low blood sugar.
----
I will also have to point out that some of the psionic powers might just have to run their course or are perm.
Insert Memory causes a perm effect.

Cause Insanity might be a effect that has to run its course.
MrShowtime
Wanderer

Thank you all very much. ShadowLogan thank you for the psyscape referral. It had just what I was looking for.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”