Circle of Resurrection??

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Okey-Dokey
D-Bee

Circle of Resurrection??

Unread post by Okey-Dokey »

Last week my players stumbled into an ancient dwarven ruin. Its infested with Zavor, and everywhere messages are scrawled on walls and doors not to enter. Dont open the doors etc.. during the early years of the elf/dwarf wars a summoner was trying to open up a dimensional rift, and a host of zavor stepped through. Being completely immune to magix they stepped right through the summoners protective barrier, and slaughtered him. The dwarves rushed to his aid but soon learned their only chance was to flee. Damn those magic weapons...

Anyways guess none of that was important to the post..
In one room there were some warded books on a shelf, pulling the right one opened a secret door. In an adjoining chamber was a power matrix wirh 4 circles of power, among them Healing.

The warlock in the party grabbed one of the warded books, and 130 points of damage surged through his body leaving a corpse. No coma.. it was a 6th level agony ward.

In the next room they discovered the healing circle... i fudged it. I let them place the body of their dead companion in the circle it had only happened with minutes... the diabolist in the group activated the circle and i gave dead player a chance to come back to life. Using a save vs coma death and the bonus from the healing circle. (Again Im fully aware I bent/broke the rules to allow it)

After this happened I began to wonder if a circle of resurrection could be possible. And if so what limitations would it have? What would the cost be? The sacrifice? A life for a life? The summoners life? Just thinking about possibilities at this point, thought I'd bring it up here and hear what yall have to say about it.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Re: Circle of Resurrection??

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Okey-Dokey wrote:Last week my players stumbled into an ancient dwarven ruin. Its infested with Zavor, and everywhere messages are scrawled on walls and doors not to enter. Dont open the doors etc.. during the early years of the elf/dwarf wars a summoner was trying to open up a dimensional rift, and a host of zavor stepped through. Being completely immune to magix they stepped right through the summoners protective barrier, and slaughtered him. The dwarves rushed to his aid but soon learned their only chance was to flee. Damn those magic weapons...

Anyways guess none of that was important to the post..
In one room there were some warded books on a shelf, pulling the right one opened a secret door. In an adjoining chamber was a power matrix wirh 4 circles of power, among them Healing.

The warlock in the party grabbed one of the warded books, and 130 points of damage surged through his body leaving a corpse. No coma.. it was a 6th level agony ward.

In the next room they discovered the healing circle... i fudged it. I let them place the body of their dead companion in the circle it had only happened with minutes... the diabolist in the group activated the circle and i gave dead player a chance to come back to life. Using a save vs coma death and the bonus from the healing circle. (Again Im fully aware I bent/broke the rules to allow it)

After this happened I began to wonder if a circle of resurrection could be possible. And if so what limitations would it have? What would the cost be? The sacrifice? A life for a life? The summoners life? Just thinking about possibilities at this point, thought I'd bring it up here and hear what yall have to say about it.

The Circle of Wonder can resurrect your fallen comrades - 89% chance! PFRPG, page 155.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Okey-Dokey
D-Bee

Unread post by Okey-Dokey »

Son of a biscuit. How in the !$%* did I miss that?
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Possible? Sure. I love **** like this. (Bear in mind that the Circle of Wonder already has a standing Resurrection chance)

So, let's benchmark it off a spell. Resurrection is a 15th level spell, and costs 2000 PPE. The circle is going to be cheaper than that, since you're paying some of the PPE cost in magical ritual gear.

(The analogy I like to use is that a Wizard is a singer; they have to convey everything with their tone and range of vocal expressions. A diabolist is a poet, writing pithy or biting phrases that affect reality. A summoner is a director of a play... their ability to convey a story is helped along by having the right props. MoM's Summoner chapter was all about making substitutions to make magic work)

Draw the circle in silver (purity). Seal it with powdered butterfly wings (spirit/soul).

So, symbols. You're going to want both a sun (life, strength) and a full moon (healing, rebirth) in there... the sun should be drawn (or carved) in yellow agate (yellow is a sun color, associated with Light and Knowledge, and agate is Heal Wounds in Stone magic's gem powers), while the moon should be in topaz (green topaz, since green is life and rebirth, and topaz has gem power associations with healing, per Rifts: Atlantis). Some sort of inward directed power symbol, maybe drawn in Pearl, Onyx, Ruby, and Diamond, each triangle of the symbol drawn in a different substance, with Onyx on the bottom, being both black and earth, and diamond, for air, above it. Pearl, as white (peace, happiness) and water on the right, red ruby (triumph color, fire association) on the left (i.e. sinister).

The sacrifice? Power circles don't always require them, so you might get along without it. We'll stick it at a 89% chance of Resurrection, just like Wonder.

The circle of wonder is 300 PPE, and requires burning a unicorn horn, which is a powerful magical reagent, BUT it also does a lot more (seriously, a circle of wonder can be made HUGE, and resurrect people by the SCORE... but you gotta kill a unicorn). Since we just want a one-and-done Resurrection, I'd probably stay with about 200 PPE, with the requirement that the symbols be redrawn for each new resurrection (you can keep the circle) AND that a portion of the components will be ruined (say, 89-the number rolled % of the components are ruined, so between 0 and 88% of the components are ruined).
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

We already know that there is some sort of circle of raise dead...
It just was never stated out and appears to be one of the circles that is either Rare/Lost.

We know this because the Maxparty have the orb that is one of the components :lol:
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”