Dwarven Royal lineage

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Dwarven Royal lineage

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Hi all.

While we can surmise that the Elven Empire was lead not by a single monarch by "the nine lords" (possibly the heads of nine ruling families)...we know for a fact that the Dwarves had a king.

After the abandonment of the Old Kingdom, we likewise know that the Dwarves ended up (for the most part) in the Eastern Territory, Timiro, LotSW, and Western Empire. A sizable number continue to live in the Old Kingdom mountains as well.

My point is, aside from Northolme (described in the ET)... where are all the major Dwarven strongholds. More importantly, what do we presume to be the condition of their royal family?
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
dreicunan
Hero

Re: Dwarven Royal lineage

Unread post by dreicunan »

Braden Campbell wrote:Hi all.

While we can surmise that the Elven Empire was lead not by a single monarch by "the nine lords" (possibly the heads of nine ruling families)...we know for a fact that the Dwarves had a king.

After the abandonment of the Old Kingdom, we likewise know that the Dwarves ended up (for the most part) in the Eastern Territory, Timiro, LotSW, and Western Empire. A sizable number continue to live in the Old Kingdom mountains as well.

My point is, aside from Northolme (described in the ET)... where are all the major Dwarven strongholds. More importantly, what do we presume to be the condition of their royal family?

The condition of the Royal Family really depends on how lusty/fertile they were. It may have long ago died out. It may be so dispersed that nearly every dwarf can trace their lineage back to the royal family one way or another and is utterly un-noteworthy. Or somewhere in the middle. My own assumption would be that some families know that they are descendants but that very few make much of it any more.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Acoroc, the iron city in timiro is probably the one I know the best, but the royal line of elves and dwarves continue in mishala in the yin sloth jungles where sulyott the sage watches over them.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

It would be real easy to port over the whole 'line of durin, king under the mountain' element from tolkein, but that might be a bit of a cop out.

What might be more interesting might be to use the discworld/pratchett approach. Every dwarf community is led by a king (functionally more like a mine supervisor), and the major clans elect a 'low king' that is the leader of all dwarves. http://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Low_King
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

My question is are the royal families in Mishala the only remaining bits of the elf and dwarf royal families? or do they exist elsewhere? Yin sloth jungles says the elves and dwarves are in the Mishala compound to learn to get along, but have any of the royal families there have anyone who struck out for themselves in the time thay have been there, I don't see sulyott keeping them under lock and key if they want to leave.
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

I'm betting that all that sealed compound contains are a bunch of skeletons from Elves and Dwarves who long-since murdered each other. ;)
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”