Water to Wine

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Water to Wine

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, this is probably going to be the silliest Magic Question I've ever asked. But how does the water used affect the wine produced? Does fresh water from one river produce the same wine as a fresh water from a lake? How do you get red vs white wine? Is there a spell for each or does, does it depend on the water used, or can the caster choose?

The spell says the quality goes up as 5% per level. Does that include the proof? I don't drink at all, so I have no idea what goes into the quality of wine.

-Vek
"My Create Bread and Milk questions might be worse."
Last edited by Veknironth on Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RockJock
Knight

Re: Water to Wine

Unread post by RockJock »

I would take the quality as the taste more than the proof. Sherri has a higher alcohol content, but that doesn't make it "better" wine.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

I think red vs white is choice, but would be amusing to make it decided by what water you use.
And quality is taste so crap wine can be bitter or have other undesirable tastes.
or
That wine tastes like cat urine (lvl 1)
That wine tastes like the nectar of the gods (Lvl 15)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Water: c> no, it is magic so the quality of the water does not effect the product.
o>I would only have it effect the product if it was salt/brackish water or if there was some sort of poison/toxin in the water to start with. if I was being mean.

lake/stream: c>no, it is magic so where the water was obtained does not effect the product.
o> maybe wine snobs would think it does.

R/W: the player says what type the char is making. otherwise the GM chooses.

proof: no, there is nothing about this in the text. However, you probably need to remember that in the time of Christ/the romans, most wine was watered down because it was used to make the water safe (kill all the microbes in it). much how like the germanic cultures used beers.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I like the idea that different waters produce different wines, but I would let a player who wanted to make red wines make red wines. For quality, I'd go with taste and snob appeal, rather than proof... wine doesn't get better by being more alcoholic, but by being more expensive.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I would let the player determine that when taking the spell but it would remain the same every time cast. But that is just me.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

I agree with Drewkitty the water source shouldn't matter but lets take it one step further. Suppose the water is riddled with bacteria. Does the spell cleanse it? I would think so. Agree?
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Greyaxe wrote:I agree with Drewkitty the water source shouldn't matter but lets take it one step further. Suppose the water is riddled with bacteria. Does the spell cleanse it? I would think so. Agree?

Unless the microbes in the water are immune to the anti-bacterial effects of alcohol then it does not matter. They will be killed off by the alcohol in the wine.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

Quality of the wine is by taste, not proof. However, the real question is a little more than complex than just red vs white wine. It is Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Syrah or Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Gewürztraminer, Riesling?

Honestly it should just be mages choosing. Perhaps one spell caster cast one type and another spell caster another based on their personal favorite.
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Jack Burton »

Lukterran wrote:Quality of the wine is by taste, not proof. However, the real question is a little more than complex than just red vs white wine. It is Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Syrah or Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Gewürztraminer, Riesling?

Honestly it should just be mages choosing. Perhaps one spell caster cast one type and another spell caster another based on their personal favorite.

Or you can let a d8 determine what kind! :lol:
Last edited by Jack Burton on Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

If the player does not say specifically what sort of wine is being made then the GM can put her/his spin on things.
Yes, I know I am just restating my former answer slighting modified.

Since this is not something directly covered in the text, each GM gets to rule on this for their game.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”