Landmarks of Palladium

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SolCannibal
Champion

Re: Landmarks of Palladium

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Warshield73 wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:
Kraynic wrote:I haven't tried to do land mass, but a few things might help put distances into perspective.

In the PF revised book the scale is 400 miles per inch. The distance from the horn on the east coast of the Eastern Territories to the western tip of the Western Empire is 7 inches.
Palladium (east to west) 3200 miles roughly
US from northern California to Delaware coasts 2600 miles
Australia east to west 2500 miles
Africa from Senegal to the tip at the Gulf of Aden 4600 miles
South America Equador to Pernambuco just under 3200 miles.

Quite a bit of the map coast line (north to south) seems to be around 6 inches.
Palladium (north to south) 2400 miles.
Canadian border of North Dakota to the southern tip of Texas 1600 miles.
From the northern tip of the lower peninsula of Michigan, 2400 miles gets you to the border between Nicaragua and Costa Rica.
Australia from the northern tip of Queensland down to the bottom of Tasmania is about 2300 miles.
2400 miles gets you from the northern coast of Norway to the Mediterranean islands of Greece.

(All these distances according to Google Earth)
It is quite a large place to play around in.

So, if i'm guesstimating things right from your numbers, Palladium is roughly equivalent to a good chunk of South America, possibly equal to the area of Brazil more or less.

While indeed a pretty impressive area to flesh out and explore, it leads to questions about the subject of other landmasses, specially considering the dimension is supposedly three times the size of Earth (in surface area, i think). It leads to even more questions i relation to its supposed "mirror" dimension, the Realm of Hades.

If this is accurate than than Palladium and Hades are much smaller than I thought. I had always assumed it was closer to the size of Eurasia. Big enough to make travel times a little longer but not so big as say a Pangea. Would love to see an accurate surface area calculation based on the maps in the books.

Yes, that's a definite difference in scale (55Mi sq km x 17,84 sq km), though still quite respectable dimensions when compared to Europe and North Africa for example. "Just" a Brasil or South America-sized continent has enough room lots more kingdoms than we get to see, imho. Brasil has 26 constituent states of very variable size, while the USA has about 48 constituent states (not counting Alaska & Hawaii), of far more balanced dimensions in relation to each other imho, that are each the equal to or larger than a considerable number of nations in other continents. Quite a respectable ammount of land to flesh out and tinker with.

But on a little aside and truth be told, i kind of suspected it wasn't eurasia-sized because the map seemed a little too simple/lacking in topographic variety for that. Yeah, totally subjective unreliable gut feeling but i tend to trust my tendency to nitpick on fantasy maps even unconciously, i guess. :wink:
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Also, going into something of a nonsense bender, has anyone toyed with maybe porting the old Valley of the Pharaohs game as a subcontinent or island kingdom for Palladium?
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

SolCannibal wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:
Kraynic wrote:I haven't tried to do land mass, but a few things might help put distances into perspective.

In the PF revised book the scale is 400 miles per inch. The distance from the horn on the east coast of the Eastern Territories to the western tip of the Western Empire is 7 inches.
Palladium (east to west) 3200 miles roughly
US from northern California to Delaware coasts 2600 miles
Australia east to west 2500 miles
Africa from Senegal to the tip at the Gulf of Aden 4600 miles
South America Equador to Pernambuco just under 3200 miles.

Quite a bit of the map coast line (north to south) seems to be around 6 inches.
Palladium (north to south) 2400 miles.
Canadian border of North Dakota to the southern tip of Texas 1600 miles.
From the northern tip of the lower peninsula of Michigan, 2400 miles gets you to the border between Nicaragua and Costa Rica.
Australia from the northern tip of Queensland down to the bottom of Tasmania is about 2300 miles.
2400 miles gets you from the northern coast of Norway to the Mediterranean islands of Greece.

(All these distances according to Google Earth)
It is quite a large place to play around in.

So, if i'm guesstimating things right from your numbers, Palladium is roughly equivalent to a good chunk of South America, possibly equal to the area of Brazil more or less.

While indeed a pretty impressive area to flesh out and explore, it leads to questions about the subject of other landmasses, specially considering the dimension is supposedly three times the size of Earth (in surface area, i think). It leads to even more questions i relation to its supposed "mirror" dimension, the Realm of Hades.

If this is accurate than than Palladium and Hades are much smaller than I thought. I had always assumed it was closer to the size of Eurasia. Big enough to make travel times a little longer but not so big as say a Pangea. Would love to see an accurate surface area calculation based on the maps in the books.

Yes, that's a definite difference in scale (55Mi sq km x 17,84 sq km), though still quite respectable dimensions when compared to Europe and North Africa for example. "Just" a Brasil or South America-sized continent has enough room lots more kingdoms than we get to see, imho. Brasil has 26 constituent states of very variable size, while the USA has about 48 constituent states (not counting Alaska & Hawaii), of far more balanced dimensions in relation to each other imho, that are each the equal to or larger than a considerable number of nations in other continents. Quite a respectable ammount of land to flesh out and tinker with.

But on a little aside and truth be told, i kind of suspected it wasn't eurasia-sized because the map seemed a little too simple/lacking in topographic variety for that. Yeah, totally subjective unreliable gut feeling but i tend to trust my tendency to nitpick on fantasy maps even unconciously, i guess. :wink:

Like I said I wasn't thinking it was a Pangea or even the size of Afro-Eurasia / the old world, but I did think it came in closer to Eurasia than those numbers indicate.

The size indicated is substantial but just smaller than I thought given all the different groups and kingdoms.

SolCannibal wrote:Also, going into something of a nonsense bender, has anyone toyed with maybe porting the old Valley of the Pharaohs game as a subcontinent or island kingdom for Palladium?

Kevin has talked about other lands across the sea so why not.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Goblin-Jack
Explorer

Unread post by Goblin-Jack »

Hotrod wrote:
Zenviscaype wrote:I am running a world game and need a map with landmarks of the lakes and mountains between Timiro and Yin Sloth. Suggestions?

I've made a map of Timiro that you can find in my signature below. I'm working on a Land of South Winds map right now that might be helpful; I'll be releasing it on my Patreon page in the next few weeks.

My next map project will be my final Palladium Fantasy map for a while: a single map that will include the Yin-Sloth Jungles, the Baalgor Wastelands, and Nimro, which could also be useful for your game once it's made.

Hotrod, I'm very interested in any works you've completed re: Land of the South Winds, but when I check your deviantart site, I only see the country's emblem; Any idea when you might have a map for it? Also, anyone have any idea if Palladium is working on a Land of the South Winds book? I find that country very interesting (its history, enduring poverty and piratical culture...)

:D --GJ
"Wujcik rules!!!"
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Goblin-Jack wrote:
Hotrod wrote:
Zenviscaype wrote:I am running a world game and need a map with landmarks of the lakes and mountains between Timiro and Yin Sloth. Suggestions?

I've made a map of Timiro that you can find in my signature below. I'm working on a Land of South Winds map right now that might be helpful; I'll be releasing it on my Patreon page in the next few weeks.

My next map project will be my final Palladium Fantasy map for a while: a single map that will include the Yin-Sloth Jungles, the Baalgor Wastelands, and Nimro, which could also be useful for your game once it's made.

Hotrod, I'm very interested in any works you've completed re: Land of the South Winds, but when I check your deviantart site, I only see the country's emblem; Any idea when you might have a map for it? Also, anyone have any idea if Palladium is working on a Land of the South Winds book? I find that country very interesting (its history, enduring poverty and piratical culture...)

My Land of South Winds map is on my Patreon Page. It's been up since early this year. Since it's based on a manuscript rather than a finished book, I haven't put it up on other sites yet.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Goblin-Jack
Explorer

Unread post by Goblin-Jack »

Hotrod wrote:
Goblin-Jack wrote:
Hotrod wrote:

My Land of South Winds map is on my Patreon Page. It's been up since early this year. Since it's based on a manuscript rather than a finished book, I haven't put it up on other sites yet.

Thanks!
"Wujcik rules!!!"

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”