Rifts Classes usable in PF?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tywyll
Wanderer

Rifts Classes usable in PF?

Unread post by Tywyll »

So I have seen several comments about using the Druid class from Rifts: England in PF. Are there any other classes that would work well in PF?
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Re: Rifts Classes usable in PF?

Unread post by jaymz »

Conjurer would be a good one. Maybe the elemental fusionist. Cyberknight maybe.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

fantasy already has a conjurer, I have hada lot of success with bringing over N&SS and BTS characters, Rifts tends to be overpowered.
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Shifter can work with a few changes to skill selection; you are basically playing a visitor to palladium from somewhere else in the Megaverse.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
VIsgar
Explorer
Comment: Reflux adept.

Unread post by VIsgar »

The Bio-mancer from South America 1 could work out. (The Lemuria World Book has more spells but the guns, symbiotic power armor, etc is too much.)

Nazca Line Maker from South America 2 should be able to work diabloism in addition since it states in BoM pg. 176 Diabloists have a knack for learning line magic and don't suffer the penalties other classes would.

Japan some traditional O.C.C.'s like monks and mountain priests.

Spirit West has warrior and shaman classes that could be modified to be sdc.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

jaymz wrote:Conjurer would be a good one. Maybe the elemental fusionist. Cyberknight maybe.

Given their new anti-tech abilities wouldn't be of much use, and how cyber-armor would seem inappropriate, you're basically talking about "I can make a sword out of air, and an expensive shield I will never bother making to parry with".
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Axelmania wrote:
jaymz wrote:Conjurer would be a good one. Maybe the elemental fusionist. Cyberknight maybe.

Given their new anti-tech abilities wouldn't be of much use, and how cyber-armor would seem inappropriate, you're basically talking about "I can make a sword out of air, and an expensive shield I will never bother making to parry with".

Their tech abilities would work just fine against crossbows and other devices with moving parts.

You are also forgetting about the incredible number of skills that they get, not to mention that they may have a fair number of psychic powers.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

As long as your willing to sit down and do the work to adjust them? LOTS of classes do.
Look at how the Rifts Necromancer stacks up to the PF Necromancer or the Rifts Conjurer to the PF one to get an idea of how to start.

Elemental Fusionists are the most obvious choice to bring over in my opinion.
The various Shamans from Spirit West can work quite well if toned down a bit. Especially the Elemental and Mask shamans.
The Gypsy classes from Mystic Russia and the Old Believer from that book are perfect as well.
I have used the Song Juicer in PF games quite effectively as an example of the lost forbidden magic of the era of 1,000 magics
Crystal Magic from the Atlantis book is a pretty good fit as well (assuming you tone down some of the OP spells, especially the ones that create permanent magic items)
Shadow Magic (both versions) from the Atlantis book are also good fits.
Psi-Druids, Mind Bleeders, Psi-Slayers, Psi-Stalkers have all been used. Earth children can work with just a little tweaking.
Dolphins, Whales and Whale Singers all are pretty neat (and would help explain why no one is whaling)
the ghost hunter? from Mystic Russia looks like a nice option to join your undead hunters and witch hunters.
Ecto-Wizards could fit in as well

Chaos Earth provides
Chaos Wizards, the Rifter 50 psychics, Death Mages, demon callers, and screamer witches.

ANYTHING from BTS2 works fine

From Nightbane
I recommend the Flesh Sculptor, Channeler, Shadow Warlock, Templar and Psi-Leech, Mortificant have all been useful
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Tywyll wrote:So I have seen several comments about using the Druid class from Rifts: England in PF. Are there any other classes that would work well in PF?

All of the druid classes from Rifts: England work well in Palladium Fantasy, though most need some adjustment in terms of skill selections and starting equipment (this is true of nearly all Rifts OCCs). Almost any druid class from any Rifts setting is better than the 2nd Edition Druid class native to Palladium Fantasy.

Psychic classes:
Most of the psionic classes translate pretty well into Rifts. Psi-Druids are a great fit. Psi-Nullifiers and Nega-Psychics are good, as are Psi-Warriors. Mind Bleeders are ok, and psi-slingers are fine with weapons, bolas, bows, blowguns, and the like. Psi-Slayers could be a thematic challenge with their diet of killing vibe. I'd steer clear of Psi-Techs.

Magic Classes:
I'd steer clear of Shifters and Ley Line Walkers. They aren't bad, but wizards and summoners seem like a better thematic fit.
Most low-tech magic/priest/shaman O.C.C.'s in the world books are ok, though I'd stick to ones that don't front-load too much of their power (tattooed O.C.C.'s come to mind).

Fighting Classes:
I wouldn't import any tech-based classes. I'd generally steer clear of most mystic or spiritual warrior O.C.C.'s, as well as those with exotic hand-to-hand skills like ninja or samurai, unless you're going for a high-powered campaign.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Tywyll
Wanderer

Unread post by Tywyll »

Hotrod wrote:
Fighting Classes:
I wouldn't import any tech-based classes. I'd generally steer clear of most mystic or spiritual warrior O.C.C.'s, as well as those with exotic hand-to-hand skills like ninja or samurai, unless you're going for a high-powered campaign.

I guess I would be interested in any fighting class that gets more mechanically interesting as it levels up. HtH bonuses, WP Bonuses and the occasional odd skill don't really stack up next to new spells and psychics.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

dreicunan wrote:Their tech abilities would work just fine against crossbows and other devices with moving parts.

*checks RUE 65*
"all mechanical devices"
"any machine with moving parts"
Huh... actually a lot broader than I'd thought. It doesn't help that most of the examples used are super-tech stuff you'd assume to have computers... but there is an open-ended "guns" and "vehicles".

So I guess RUE 66's "+1 to dodge" would even apply against a wagon that's coming to run you over... or a pair of scissors.

I think "device with moving parts" might even include bows (the string moves) or a mace+chain (the chain moves) or even someone wearing chainmail?
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

The Druids in England, Stone Masters, most of the OCCs in Mystic Russia, Russian Villager from Warlords.
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

I think tha tone should not limit just the magic classes(even if they are the bulk of OCC in rifts..)
There others that could easily fit most settings.
Vagabond - really fit pretty much every latitude, dimension or setting. Is the goddmaned vagabond and you better deal with it!
Bounty hunter: again where is a bounty or reward for the head of someone, yeah, there is the hunters for it. you've to adapt to low tech setting, but otherwise fit anywhere
Saddle Tramp: Drifter heroes are staple of fiction, and much like vagabond fit any setting and any latitude with little modification. Hell apart the WP not OCC skill yell, high tech.
Cowboy: call them whatever you please, if there are large amount of cattle or horses to deal with, there are these guys on horses working at it. Or if not horses whatever fit the setting , gryphon could work as well(not an ide aof steampunk 1800 version of Palladium fantasy form in my head...)
Professional Gambler: another class that by its nature is tied to one of the most common activity in human history. Qucik dra is probably limited to fantasy weapon(by the way remeber that an archaic form of modern firearms, the arquebus, was first recorded to have been used in the Battle of Agincourt in 1415.just saying...
Saloon bum(barkeep): really i think these guy are actually part of any seedy sallon, pub, drinking house, or whatever alchool serving area, wher ethe player meet...Dawrven saloon bum are scary...because they tend to borrow drink and boy if they drink...
Saloon girl/barmaid: This is probably present in bigger places, that offer possibily of work for these girls. In a fantasy setting they are probably the best looking girl of the area and often with better hygien too
Pretty much any blakc marker class(with obvious adaptation for low tech setting)
Con Artist is perfect for everywhere
Case Man this is the thief that PLAN only BIG things. He probably lead a band onf highwaymen as well as team of thieves and rogues specifically choosen for the job...you know like danny ocean, or robin hood.
Enforcer: At first is just another variation fo assassin and in a way it is. BUT looking at the skills...Is more an executioner actually. I can totally see them as hard working inquisitor(not many classes have +25% to interrogation...and a morally grey class with Intimidation as special ability....well...let's just say that thing will get medieval quite soon...and Sanitizing in low tech setting could also means make everything look like not as grievious as they are..like oh not see this elf..just passed out for tiredeness, see no bruise.. is not that i tortured him for 3 hours straight
Of course it all depend who they are performing their excution for. Because if assassin can be freelance, Enforcers are almost always not.
Expediter are perfect for court themed intrigue,but they fit anywhere. They are the most likely to find the player a job, or cause them the most trouble
Information Broker: Spyware can be anything depending on the setting. and some of them have psionics
Merchant: more npc that main character, albeit their job do force them to very exciting life, depending on the setting.

Rift Runner is essentiall a mystic smuggler..
From Mercenary
Forger: very old job, documents, papers, painting, jewels, relics..name somethign and at some point was probably faked. Not only that but some important documents if replaced by a frogery could have important repercussion- like say a documents saying that the heir of the throen was conceived out of proper marriage, so the second in line should be king instead...
Freelance Spy: Thief are specialized in well, stealing. Spy to get information...they are the active half of an information broker You could replace the high tech skills with lore, espionage or rogue skills with ease - Suggestion Concealment in place of Computer Operations, Imitate Voice and impersonation in plac eof computer hacking and Cryptography in place of Radio:basic(knowing how and when dealing coded message and signals). WP pistol is probabyl replaced with a small weapon: Knife ovbiously, but short crossbow, throwing weapons, retractable spears or sticks.
Master Assassin: this has the issue of using demolitions as his peculiarity...but explosive were used in past...and the M.assassin could be one of the few expert in its use in whole world. You know placing mines under castles doors...but is big perhaps...
Safecrackers:This seem impossible to fit in a fantasy setting...but wait vaults and metallic boxes didn't exist in fantasy setting? Aslo i am always perplex for the lack fo mechanics skills. electronics i get it. But MEchanics? Was the bread and butter of people like Leonardo..
Smuggler: these guys exist whenever there is a border to cross and something to smuggle through it. ALWAYS.
Special Forces
For a fantasy setting replace radio with sign language, Pilot with two horsemanship, Weapon systme with WP: Siege Weapons, read sensory equipment with Military Etiquette, and of course the modernn WP replaced with ancinet equivalent(honsetly sometimes Transdimensional turtles is better at depicting old times than most fantasy settings...)
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Unread post by SirSpamHammer »

I was thinking of introducing some Palladium Fantasy characters to Palladium Rifts Earth. Aside from the culture shock they might suffer, would the rules support this type of crossover.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

I mean, they'd probably feel a little disadvantaged, but they work.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

SirSpamHammer wrote:I was thinking of introducing some Palladium Fantasy characters to Palladium Rifts Earth. Aside from the culture shock they might suffer, would the rules support this type of crossover.

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: Some classes are better candidates for migrating into Rifts than others.

+Magic users and Mind Mages are great for importing from Palladium Fantasy, since their power scales up in the new environment.

~Men-at-Arms are iffy for importing from Palladium Fantasy; there are generally better native alternatives. Magic gear can help with this, and you might consider bestowing some new abilities on them.

-I would avoid importing psi sensitives from Palladium Fantasy because Psi-Stalkers, Psi-Slayers, Dog Boys, and any Psyscape native is better at sensing than these dudes.

-Scholars, Merchants, Craftsmen and Psi-Healers become essentially useless in Rifts unless you find a way to bestow more-useful powers on them.

New abilities you might consider for men-at-arms, craftsmen, merchants, and psi-healers:
+Have someone in Atlantis or a Chiang-Ku turn them into Maxi-Men. Tattoos can be a nice way to bring their power level up.
+Expose them to the same weird rift that created the Sea Titans.
+Expose them to the weird rift in Azlum in Atlantis that gives super-psionic powers.
+Use the Book of Heroes.
+Have Odin choose them to become Warriors of Valhalla.
+Have them encounter the Lord of the Deep or something like it in transit and turn them into Sea Inquisitors.
+Put them through a training program from Heroes of Humanity.
+Turn them into Cyborgs, Juicers, or Crazies.
+Give them some potent new equipment: Millennium Tree items, Biomancy armor, Mystic Kuznya weapons, and/or magic items from Palladium Fantasy would be good choices.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Unread post by SirSpamHammer »

Hotrod wrote:
SirSpamHammer wrote:I was thinking of introducing some Palladium Fantasy characters to Palladium Rifts Earth. Aside from the culture shock they might suffer, would the rules support this type of crossover.

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: Some classes are better candidates for migrating into Rifts than others.

+Magic users and Mind Mages are great for importing from Palladium Fantasy, since their power scales up in the new environment.

~Men-at-Arms are iffy for importing from Palladium Fantasy; there are generally better native alternatives. Magic gear can help with this, and you might consider bestowing some new abilities on them.

-I would avoid importing psi sensitives from Palladium Fantasy because Psi-Stalkers, Psi-Slayers, Dog Boys, and any Psyscape native is better at sensing than these dudes.

-Scholars, Merchants, Craftsmen and Psi-Healers become essentially useless in Rifts unless you find a way to bestow more-useful powers on them.

New abilities you might consider for men-at-arms, craftsmen, merchants, and psi-healers:
+Have someone in Atlantis or a Chiang-Ku turn them into Maxi-Men. Tattoos can be a nice way to bring their power level up.
+Expose them to the same weird rift that created the Sea Titans.
+Expose them to the weird rift in Azlum in Atlantis that gives super-psionic powers.
+Use the Book of Heroes.
+Have Odin choose them to become Warriors of Valhalla.
+Have them encounter the Lord of the Deep or something like it in transit and turn them into Sea Inquisitors.
+Put them through a training program from Heroes of Humanity.
+Turn them into Cyborgs, Juicers, or Crazies.
+Give them some potent new equipment: Millennium Tree items, Biomancy armor, Mystic Kuznya weapons, and/or magic items from Palladium Fantasy would be good choices.

Last option sounds the best to me. I was thinking of having one of them discover a Glitterboy suit. Of course they don't have the skill to use it but thats where the true fun ensues or I could have them Rifts Earth Natives who find themselves on the Palladium Fantasy world (Vice-Versa) after entering one of those Rifts.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Tywyll wrote:So I have seen several comments about using the Druid class from Rifts: England in PF. Are there any other classes that would work well in PF?

I depends on whether or not the char is a native of the PF world or not.

Those classes that are high-tech dependant will not work for natives. The tech they are dependant on does not exist in the PF world. Like the mentioned cyberknights.

While there are others that will not work as they stand as Rifts classes for natives. But modifed to strip the cultural bagage from them (and convert the MD/MDCstuff) they could work. Like the mentioned Nazca Line Maker, and the japanese monk classes. Some of these have already been converted and published in the rifters.

Then there are those that will not work on the PF world unless you presume their source of power is there too. The mentioned Shadow Warlock would be an example of these.

There are too many classes in the PB systems to give a list.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”