Promoting a Roughneck to Dreadguard

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Sir_Nytehawk357
D-Bee

Promoting a Roughneck to Dreadguard

Unread post by Sir_Nytehawk357 »

What features from Dreadguard would you give a Roughneck promoted to a Dreadguard?
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Re: Promoting a Roughneck to Dreadguard

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

That's an interesting question.

Starting with the main book, the main benefits the Dreadguard have over the Roughneck are:
improved social standing
more consistent access to Bio-Technology related skills
no limitations on Host Armor metabolism or Living Armor modifications
more Bio-E:
...-15 to 65, with an mean of 25 for starting Host Armor
...~2d10/additional level for Host Armor
...2d10+10 for Living Body Armor
...5d4+5/additional level for handheld weapons (if using Rifter 0)

The Roughnecks, however have a couple of advantages. The main one is that they have more skill slots and can take Pilot Wing Packs with an Elective Choice, while Dreadguards can't.

In a core-only game, I'd go with something like the following:
Promoted Roughnecks wrote:Promoted Roughnecks receive a one-time bonus to Bio-E of 40+10xRoughneck level (so a promoted 4th level Roughneck would receive 80 Bio-E) which can be applied as the character sees fit to Host Armor, Living Armor, and/or handheld weapons, and at subsequent levels receive additional Bio-E at the rate of a Dreadguard.

Promoted Roughnecks are expected to not only adhere to the Dreadguard's Code of Conduct, but must also have knowledge of several skills, and receive a penalty to this one-time bonus relative to how long they must be out of the field in order to be instructed in them. The P.R. gains the following skills at 1st level proficiency, if they do not already possess them. For every newly gained skill the one-time Bio-E bonus is reduced by 10 points.

Bio-Comms
Host Armor Combat
Operate Bio-Equipment
Machine Lore

I Am Legion didn't so much have power creep as leap. I think a promoted roughneck that's playing in games with Tempest Vanguardians, Packlords, Dreadnaughts, Stalker-riding Skinjobs, and Outriders in Silverbacks could stand an upgrade beyond the above, but which is perhaps less customizable. As a first stab, maybe a choice of an off-the-rack Wing Pack, basic Gorehound, or Tunnel Rat.
Sir_Nytehawk357
D-Bee

Thanks for the input. Was also wondering about adding acid ability to host armor melee weapons/blades. Can't seem to see that anywhere.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

The Main Book has Acid Edged Blades, while Rifter 0 adds Acid Edged Bayonets and Acid Injectors. which are all for handheld weapons. I don't see anything for adding acid to integrated attacks, but think a variant on the ranged Acid Nodules is reasonable. Acid Nodules do a 60' ranged attack 6/hour for 5 Bio-E. I think giving up range is roughly equivalent to having it potentially affect multiple Forearm Blades or Serrated Whips or whatever. If a character has, say, a blade on one hand, a whip on the other, and horns on the head, the 6 uses/hour can be divided up however the player wants. It would still have the requirement of Acid Blood, and one can purchase multiple Acid Blade Nodules. I'd also be cool with a ~5 point modification that allows all the Acid Nodules on a Host Armor to work for either melee and ranged.
Last edited by Curbludgeon on Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Here's a little something I just thought of, for visual purposes....

The assembled guards, both the cadre of Roughnecks on one side, the squads of Dreadguards on the other, of the wide underground tunnel that lead to the House's sacred Gene-Pool, awaiting the results. The soldier within, the Roughneck called Aromond, had served the House with distinction; a recent decisive victory against the forces of the Machine, along with a successful 'recruitment drive' from a recently discovered forgotten Retro-Village filled some of their depleted ranks, brought Aromond to the attention of his Warlord. With the blessings of his advisors, who had also noticed Aromond's prowess and capabilities, he was offered the promotion to the fabled ranks of the Dreadguards. With some small amount of ceremony, the soon-to-be-former Roughneck shook the hands of his squad-mates as he decended the slight incline of the tunnel toward the Gene-Pool chamber.
Once on the other side of the opening, the carapace-like door slid shut. The scraping sound and noticeable latching seem to be louder than usual.

None assembled would outwardly state how long it seemed to take. The door gave a slight shudder, and the assembly came to attention. The door slid back, revealing the now Dreadguard-upgraded Aromond, his Host Armor looking slightly larger and more like his new position and status. His hair was slicked back, his facial hair still sporting the flecks of grey hairs as before, but his face had a slight smirk. He stepped though the arch & the door quickly slid shut behind him.
Both ranks on either side brought one mailed fist to their chests & loudly rapped it, in a static rhythm, saluting the new Dreadguard & honoring him. The smirk on Aromond's face became a proud smile as he strode down the line. The rhythm sped up slightly, following the procession to a larger hall, where friends and family greeted him with cheers and applause.
Aromond raised a fist in salute to all and roared.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Sir_Nytehawk357
D-Bee

I love it Bookwyrm. Thanks for the input Curbludgeon.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Most Dreadguards used to be Roughnecks.
At character creation this isn't a problem.
During game play, this can be a problem however.

Just give the Roughneck key missing skills Dreadguards have in OCC skills. Done.
Upgrade old host armor as they level up as a dreadguard or give 'em a new host armor to start upgrading...
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Sir_Nytehawk357 wrote:I love it Bookwyrm. Thanks for the input Curbludgeon.

Glad to help.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Naked Roughnecks gather in a line holding hands.
Naked Dreadguard gather in a line holding hands.
The Warlord yells to the Roughnecks...
"Red Rover Red Rover, Send ________ Right over!!"
The selected Roughneck breaks hands and runs at the Dreadguards. If he break through their holding hands he becomes a Dreadguard. If not he is worthy yet afterall
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan

Return to “Splicers®”