About Minotaur Palladins....

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SirSpamHammer
Explorer

About Minotaur Palladins....

Unread post by SirSpamHammer »

My new player wants to be a Minotaur Palladin and I just read in the O.C.C. description that they get a high quality equestrian mount. Which led me to wonder if they don't ride something that is bred for their ability & size enough to carry a Minotaur into battle. (He is the full 11 feet tall btw!)

Particularly, do they ride Elephants, or Dinosaurs (if they are available or some other special beast or maybe special breed of horse that is much larger?

I will be looking through the Palladium Fantasy book Monsters and Animals for ideas as well.
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Re: About Minotaur Palladins....

Unread post by Kraynic »

It is up to you on the mount. For origins where the environment or race don't necessarily make sense for them to have horsemanship, I swap that out for Breeding Dogs or Falconry, and give them some sort of battle trained companion that fits one of those 2 themes.

Edit: Forgot to mention I generally give them W.P. Spears/Forks instead of Lance if I swap out horsemanship.

Another thing to think about is who gave them that training? If whoever trained them had mounts that large, then that would be the mount to go with.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

SirSpamHammer wrote:My new player wants to be a Minotaur Palladin and I just read in the O.C.C. description that they get a high quality equestrian mount. Which led me to wonder if they don't ride something that is bred for their ability & size enough to carry a Minotaur into battle. (He is the full 11 feet tall btw!)

Particularly, do they ride Elephants, or Dinosaurs (if they are available or some other special beast or maybe special breed of horse that is much larger?

I will be looking through the Palladium Fantasy book Monsters and Animals for ideas as well.

Greetings and Salutations. Well, let me ask: Does the player really want Horsemanship? Or are you trying to figure it out more because it's part of the class?

I ask because, if the latter, you may want to look at PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands. Page 142 has the Adraodan Tribe (of Minotaurs), and on page 143 they have a variant of the Knight O.C.C. Now the Knight and Palladin are different classes, but the horsemanship issue is the same. Their "Crusader of Light" is effectively a Knight, minus the Horsemanship, Lance, and Heraldry skills. In exchange, the Crusader of Light receive 7 psionics from the Sensitive and Physical categories. So instead of trying to force something that doesn't fit a Minotaur as well just because it's part of the O.C.C., consider a substitute using this official material as a basis.

Now, if the player really wants some type of mount, then you to consider what feels appropriate. Depending on region elephants can be an option (though I believe that kind of thing is bad for the elephant's health in real life). I made this for a potential Wolfen mount in my campaigns: http://www.prysus.com/race_esuvrym.htm

Hope some of that helps. My main goal was to provide additional options you may not have considered. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Kraynic wrote:It is up to you on the mount. For origins where the environment or race don't necessarily make sense for them to have horsemanship, I swap that out for Breeding Dogs or Falconry, and give them some sort of battle trained companion that fits one of those 2 themes.

Edit: Forgot to mention I generally give them W.P. Spears/Forks instead of Lance if I swap out horsemanship.

Another thing to think about is who gave them that training? If whoever trained them had mounts that large, then that would be the mount to go with.

Sounds like a another interesting alternative and still thinking about Elephants.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Prysus wrote:
SirSpamHammer wrote:My new player wants to be a Minotaur Palladin and I just read in the O.C.C. description that they get a high quality equestrian mount. Which led me to wonder if they don't ride something that is bred for their ability & size enough to carry a Minotaur into battle. (He is the full 11 feet tall btw!)

Greetings and Salutations. Well, let me ask: Does the player really want Horsemanship? Or are you trying to figure it out more because it's part of the class?

I ask because, if the latter, you may want to look at PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands. Page 142 has the Adraodan Tribe (of Minotaurs), and on page 143 they have a variant of the Knight O.C.C. Now the Knight and Palladin are different classes, but the horsemanship issue is the same. Their "Crusader of Light" is effectively a Knight, minus the Horsemanship, Lance, and Heraldry skills. In exchange, the Crusader of Light receive 7 psionics from the Sensitive and Physical categories. So instead of trying to force something that doesn't fit a Minotaur as well just because it's part of the O.C.C., consider a substitute using this official material as a basis.

Now, if the player really wants some type of mount, then you to consider what feels appropriate. Depending on region elephants can be an option (though I believe that kind of thing is bad for the elephant's health in real life). I made this for a potential Wolfen mount in my campaigns: http://www.prysus.com/race_esuvrym.htm

Hope some of that helps. My main goal was to provide additional options you may not have considered. Farewell and safe journeys.

Yeah, I was trying to figure it out more because of the class, but thanks for the other choices. I passed on the information and then have only to read it and decide for themselves. YOu say you created the Esuvrym, are there any pictures of them?

I keep thinking of Bathas with six legs and a segmented body......

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/sta ... 0417032609
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Regarding Esuvrym, can they swim very well and would they mind the jungle, because that's where I plan on having my adventure....

Right now, everybody is on a pirate ship, but a terrible freak storm is going to hit them and leave them ship wrecked on a mysterious jungle island (Of my own design) where they also find this Minotaur Knight or Palladin or Crusader of Light also shipwrecked. Hoping they broke ship and swam for it to the isle. Could a Esuvrym swim with a fully armour clad Minotaur on it's back and then tolerate the jungle climate?

I suspect it would be shedding a lot of it's shaggy hair.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”