Daggers of Lightening and Venom?

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Daggers of Lightening and Venom?

Unread post by SirSpamHammer »

Dagger of Lightning:
1d4 damage, 2d6 lightning damage
Venom dagger
1d4 damage; 2d8 poison damage save vs poison 12

That's what they do, but was wondering if there is anything special about the type of damage they do.

Not sure about Lightening Damage, but is is Poison damage continuous if the person hit with it doesn't make their poison save?

And anything else I need to know about those things......

BTW, I'm now running the Palladium Fantasy game I was once playing a Lizard-man Blind Warrior (yes, he is blind.) in. Because the other PFGM retired or went on hiatus and I want to keep the game going. So, I might be asking alot of questions here soon.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Daggers of Lightening and Venom?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Are these your creations?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Are these your creations?

I second this question.
If they're from a book, what book and page?
They're not ringing any bells.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. If those items are from a book, citing which book and the page number can help us provide more accurate answers.

However, as others have suggested, these sound like homebrew creations (especially since daggers typically deal 1D6 in Palladium Fantasy, but these ones inflict 1D4 ... so maybe a D&D conversion?). If so, any answers provided will be guesses. But since it sounds like you're taking over for a different G.M., judgment calls will need to be made. These are my thoughts ...

Dagger of Lightning: Call Lightning (the Invocation) doesn't have any special effects other than damage. I'd say the same is likely true for this weapon. The main importance for different damage sources here would be possible resistances (such as Impervious to Energy).

Dagger of Venom: My answer would depend on how the weapon uses the "venom."
(a) So, for example, Western Empire (PF book 8), page 157 has a Venomblade. This effectively just puts an application of a particular type of poison on the blade (up to 3x daily), and the effects/damage are the same as the related poison from the PF2 main book (page 265 is referenced). So the duration would be the same as the mundane poison type used.
(b) On the other hand, if the Dagger of Venom in question applies the effect on EVERY strike, then I'd say the poison damage only lasts a single action. Basically, similar to the Dagger of Lightning in this is just added damage, but the Venom has higher damage potential while simultaneously also having a method to save against it. Whether a successful save negates damage entirely or reduces damage by half is another judgement call, but I'd probably rule in favor of negates entirely (if this were applied per hit).

Those are my initial thoughts, but more information is always helpful when trying to make an informed decision. Right now, I'm just trying to provide educated guesses based on limited information. Hope some of that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

No, these weapons are definitely not my own creations. I'm only starting here, and taking it up from where the other guy left off. Whether they are his creation or found in one of the books including the Rifters, I do not know exactly either.

I would ask him, but I still waiting on the reply to my first question to him about giving official permissions to use his Discord channel (Where we play the game.) or create my own.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Prysus wrote:
Greetings and Salutations. If those items are from a book, citing which book and the page number can help us provide more accurate answers.

However, as others have suggested, these sound like homebrew creations (especially since daggers typically deal 1D6 in Palladium Fantasy, but these ones inflict 1D4 ... so maybe a D&D conversion?). If so, any answers provided will be guesses. But since it sounds like you're taking over for a different G.M., judgment calls will need to be made. These are my thoughts ...

Funny you say that, because the character that uses these weapons is a Gnome Thief and it's been assumed to her because of her tiny size, the weapons seem like short swords to her. Not that it means much more than that. If it wasn't for that though, I might assume she is using smaller daggers only usable by gnomes.

Still, I might ask the old GM why he made them that way, when he gets around to answering me in the first place.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

The player replied....."they do less because of their size
Somewhere it the book it talks about different sizes and dice changes"
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

Must be a Gnome then (or something similarly small).

Edit: Scrolled up and saw the your first reply and the character is a Gnome. The weapon damage fits for sure.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

SirSpamHammer wrote:The player replied....."they do less because of their size
Somewhere it the book it talks about different sizes and dice changes"

Greetings and Salutations. Gnome weapons definitely do less. That's why details are important. For reference, PF2 main book page 269 (bottom of page) talks about different weapon damages based on size. I believe this is probably the most commonly used reference (as it's also the reference for Giant sized weapons). However, there's another reference with a slightly different rule on page 295 (Other Notes, #4). The two rules are slightly different (though there's also some overlap), so you'd have to decide which one you prefer (or which is already in use). For a Gnome, 1D4 fits either a dagger or short sword (for both rulings).

Anyways, just wanted to provide references so you can make informed decisions. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

SirSpamHammer wrote:No, these weapons are definitely not my own creations. I'm only starting here, and taking it up from where the other guy left off. Whether they are his creation or found in one of the books including the Rifters, I do not know exactly either.

I would ask him, but I still waiting on the reply to my first question to him about giving official permissions to use his Discord channel (Where we play the game.) or create my own.

Thank you for your responce, but you left out a ton of information In Your OP. Please repost everything without leaving out any information. Things like, are they from a canon book, are they a fan creation, if they are a fan creation who's creation are they....etc...etc...etc...

Some of the Info can be relayed by ..... putting the subject of the post into a quote box.
then there is you could of said something like: The other day I was playing in a game where the GM had these weapons.....

Now if you meant the poster 'theotherguy' or 'the other guy' you should seperate the words of the poster's nick from the rest of the sentance with something. I just used ' ' above, because they are one of the most gramerly correct way to do so.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

SirSpamHammer, poisons in Palladium are over the place in terms of effect, and so in this case you're really just going to have to ask the GM what's up. By way of example, in the Palladium Fantasy main book injectable/"blood" poisons inflict their damage with each successful strike, while the effects of contact poisons last in between 2 rounds and 1d4 hours, and acids can cause damage every round until washed off. What's more, they all have different saves, in the 14-16 range.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Thanks for your help everybody. All I was able to find out about these weapons is their names and what the player told me about them. I still haven't asked the original GM about them. I would agree that they are home brew and I guess, i will have to come up with my own idea about them if I don't find out anything more.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”