Major Psionic from Random Psionics

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Major Psionic from Random Psionics

Unread post by SirSpamHammer »

So, I rolled dice for Random Psionics and luckily got a two. Giving me Major Psionics, and it says, that because of this, the number of O.C.C. Related skills are halved and so are all the skills bonuses in brackets. I asked my GM, if Racial Bonuses are halved as well, and he said no. Then I asked him if the Bonus conferred on "Locate Secret Compartments/Doors" by also having "Carpentry" and "General Repairs" are halved as well and I get the full unmodified bonus for those as well. Then I said "Really, where exactly is the half bonus penalty for being a Major Psionic conferred then?" and he replied he knew of no such thing and I had to show him the page and paragraph it was on.

Then he says he sees what I mean, and says that I still get full racial bonus......

So what is the correct interpretation of this rule?
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Re: Major Psionic from Random Psionics

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

The books I checked which halve "other" skills and skill bonuses don't mention anything about brackets (see Rifts Main Book pg12, Palladium Fantasy2nd(1998) pg21, Systems Failure pg 21). Note that later books which include character creation rules got rid of this (see Rifts Ultimate Edition pg 289).
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

In a strict reading of the text within the PF2 & RMB core books, every and all skills bonuses are halved. Including the IQ bonus.

Every other core book ether excludes the penalties of their are no major.minor psions. (This statement excludes DR cause I don't have any of those gamebooks.)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Curbludgeon wrote:The books I checked which halve "other" skills and skill bonuses don't mention anything about brackets (see Rifts Main Book pg12, Palladium Fantasy2nd(1998) pg21, Systems Failure pg 21). Note that later books which include character creation rules got rid of this (see Rifts Ultimate Edition pg 289).

Yeah, I just checked where I got the information from and you know, Your right. There was nothing written about any skills in brackets. It just said all skill bonuses. I got my information from page 21 of the Palladium Fantasy 2nd Edition (1998)
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:In a strict reading of the text within the PF2 & RMB core books, every and all skills bonuses are halved. Including the IQ bonus.

Every other core book ether excludes the penalties of their are no major. minor psions. (This statement excludes DR cause I don't have any of those gamebooks.)

Thanks again, I let GM know and he still might have his own interpretation.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Each GM have their own house rules....to have fun (unless you go there for an argument) it is better to just understand/accept them and play than argue.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ITWastrel »

I always read that as half the scholastic bonus only. As an example, if your OCC gives you first aid (+10%), the psionic would get First Aid (+5%). This reduction represents lost time developing skills due to honing your psychic abilities, as well as lost skill from the benefits of telepathy, speed reading, or similar abilities. It shouldn't make you dumber, reducing IQ bonus, or otherwise reduce the skill bonuses earned other ways.

Rules as intended trumps rules as written.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”