Background Material on Dwarves.....

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Background Material on Dwarves.....

Unread post by SirSpamHammer »

Is there any background material on Dwarves in any of the other Palladium Fantasy books &/or Rifters. I know Wolfen have their own book filled with stuff like their factions and what not. I was looking for the same on Dwarves. Because, I'm seriously considering playing one or am I to make all this stuff up.
Prysus
Champion

Re: Background Material on Dwarves.....

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. I believe they were supposed to go into some of this with the Old Kingdom books, but those books never came out. As a result, we are left to fill in the blanks. The racial write-ups give is a good starting point though. Maybe someone else can give you a reference I'm unaware of though.

Not official, but I did write up notes on Dwarves for my games: http://www.prysus.com/culture_dwarven.htm

Hopefully that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

You always come through for me Prysus.....

Anyway, I will start reading up on that. Looks interesting and in case your wondering, I 'm thinking of Dwarven Tinkerer (The Tinkerer O.C.C. as described on pages 19 to 23 of Rifter #10).
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

SirSpamHammer wrote:You always come through for me Prysus.....

Anyway, I will start reading up on that. Looks interesting and in case your wondering, I'm thinking of Dwarven Tinkerer (The Tinkerer O.C.C. as described on pages 19 to 23 of Rifter #10).

While still on the subject of Dwarves and The Tinkerer O.C.C. as described on pages 19-23 of Rifter #10. I asked my game master for clarification on their whether the skills shown on page 20 - 21 of the very same Rifter are all taken as the abilities of the Tinkerer O.C.C. or can only few of those be taken to fill in existing skill slots. ( I hope I made question that clear enough.)

Well my Game Master answers me by stating that and I quote "Normally Dwarfs will stay away from Magic occs since they swore off magic after the elf dwarf war".

Now, that was all I could get out of him, without needling him more about the Tinkerer article in said Rifter. In fact I did show him where he could read about it and he just told me that's nice to know and LoL'd.

So I got two questions.....

Can Tinkerers use all these abilities/Skills automatically, or are can they only be chosen if you have enough skill slots for them?

&

Should Dwarves who have all sworn off of magic, go near this Tinkerer O.C.C.?

P.S. Still reading through Prysus's sizable article on Dwarves.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

skills:
I will presume that you are asking about the skills: Art: Drafting, Chemistry, Demolitions and Metal Working. Here is my take on these skills.
Art:Drafting: is just another specilization within the art conglomerate skills. And like with the Language and Litericy skills, each time it is taken if has to be defined which aspect of art the person is specializing in.
Chemistry & Demolitions: it is just expanding on the normal chemistry skill from the other games.
Metalworking: This skill was presented in the Northern Hinterlands and I would replace this with the canon skill.

Can C&D be taken by 'Player Characters' that are not tinkerers? no. NPC townies? yes

There are more expansive text about smithing weapons in the last power cat in the HU2:PU2 game boo. These can be imported by your GM.
--
direct answers
The above skills and pilot/use invention are a part of the class, more so than the Class Skills.

Tinkerers do not use magic. As such there is no prohibition from them having this class.

---
After Thought:
The tinkerer class seams to be a towny sort of character. And wouldn't be adventuring except to test his/her creations.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

SirSpamHammer wrote:Well my Game Master answers me by stating that and I quote "Normally Dwarfs will stay away from Magic occs since they swore off magic after the elf dwarf war".

Now, that was all I could get out of him, without needling him more about the Tinkerer article in said Rifter. In fact I did show him where he could read about it and he just told me that's nice to know and LoL'd.

Can Tinkerers use all these abilities/Skills automatically, or are can they only be chosen if you have enough skill slots for them?

&

Should Dwarves who have all sworn off of magic, go near this Tinkerer O.C.C.?.

Greetings and Salutations. I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my abilities, though keep in mind I am not your G.M. and nothing I say will override his interpretation.

1: Abilities 1-6 (page 20-21) should be standard/automatic to all Tinkerers.

2: *Takes a deep breath.* Complicated question. So ...

Page 19
"An Optional O.C.C. and Form of "Magic"
"One of the few magic arts to survive from the Time of Magicks, and to persevere the purging after the Great Elf-Dwarf War, was a very unique magic form."
"Science, like many other magic forms ..."

There are more quotes like this, but I think you should get the idea. So, as far as the Palladium World seems to be concerned, science is a form of magic and Tinkerers are learned Practitioners of Magic.

Now, as part of the modern world, we can say that science is not magic. In fact, Palladium states magic defies science (or at least physics). So we can take the logical stance that science is NOT magic and should have no bearing on the Dwarves ban of magic. Even the writer seemingly takes this stance (as if forgetting everything else he wrote before) with lines like ...

Page 20
"... the Dwarves started to mentor the humans." (presumably in science)
"The Tinkerer is the most common among Dwarves ..."

If I were the G.M. with these notes, my stance would probably be ...

Tinkerers are magic users (modern facts are irrelevant to the perceptions of the Palladium World, and this is supported by the write-up of the class).
Any Dwarf who practiced magic would (at best) be exiled and shunned by other Dwarves, or (often enough) viewed as "corrupt monster who must be destroyed" (akin to the Witch O.C.C., Palladium Fantasy main book, page 116).

The main deal breaker for me is that it's learned. While I may argue a Psi-Mystic is natural and doesn't study magic (therefore may be accepted, though still watched carefully), studying magic is something no self-respecting Dwarf would ever undertake.

From the response of your G.M., I suspect he will be taking a similar stance. So proceed at your own risk. Farewell and safe journeys.

Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

SirSpamHammer
Explorer

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:skills:
I will presume that you are asking about the skills: Art: Drafting, Chemistry, Demolitions and Metal Working. Here is my take on these skills.
Art:Drafting: is just another specilization within the art conglomerate skills. And like with the Language and Litericy skills, each time it is taken if has to be defined which aspect of art the person is specializing in.
Chemistry & Demolitions: it is just expanding on the normal chemistry skill from the other games.
Metalworking: This skill was presented in the Northern Hinterlands and I would replace this with the canon skill.

Can C&D be taken by 'Player Characters' that are not tinkerers? no. NPC townies? yes

There are more expansive text about smithing weapons in the last power cat in the HU2:PU2 game boo. These can be imported by your GM.
--
direct answers
The above skills and pilot/use invention are a part of the class, more so than the Class Skills.

Tinkerers do not use magic. As such there is no prohibition from them having this class.

---
After Thought:
The tinkerer class seams to be a towny sort of character. And wouldn't be adventuring except to test his/her creations.

From your reply, I take it that you mean that the Tinkerer O.C.C. doesn't get those skills automatically and what you have written is interesting to know.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Prysus wrote:
SirSpamHammer wrote:Well my Game Master answers me by stating that and I quote "Normally Dwarfs will stay away from Magic occs since they swore off magic after the elf dwarf war".

&

Greetings and Salutations. I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my abilities, though keep in mind I am not your G.M. and nothing I say will override his interpretation.

Page 19
"One of the few magic arts to survive from the Time of Magicks, and to persevere the purging after the Great Elf-Dwarf War, was a very unique magic form."

There are more quotes like this, but I think you should get the idea. So, as far as the Palladium World seems to be concerned, science is a form of magic and Tinkerers are learned Practitioners of Magic.

Now, as part of the modern world, we can say that science is not magic. In fact, Palladium states magic defies science (or at least physics). So we can take the logical stance that science is NOT magic and should have no bearing on the Dwarves ban of magic. Even the writer seemingly takes this stance (as if forgetting everything else he wrote before) with lines like ...

Page 20

Tinkerers are magic users (modern facts are irrelevant to the perceptions of the Palladium World, and this is supported by the write-up of the class).
Any Dwarf who practiced magic would (at best) be exiled and shunned by other Dwarves, or (often enough) viewed as "corrupt monster who must be destroyed" (akin to the Witch O.C.C., Palladium Fantasy main book, page 116).

The main deal breaker for me is that it's learned. While I may argue a Psi-Mystic is natural and doesn't study magic (therefore may be accepted, though still watched carefully), studying magic is something no self-respecting Dwarf would ever undertake.

From the response of your G.M., I suspect he will be taking a similar stance. So proceed at your own risk. Farewell and safe journeys.

You have answered both my questions and the answer to the first one is one I agree with in particular. Although, like you told me, your not my GM and from this excerpt of a conversation we had earlier today (below). I'm not sure he agrees, although I do.

Taken from Discord.......

" Halric-Halfman (Blind-Man #8544)Today at 4:47 AM
It's not clear whether the Art : Drafting, Chemistry, Demolitions, Metalworking and Pilot/Use Invention are automatically part of the Tinkerer's O.C.C.s abilities or they don't actually have them unless they pick them as O.C.C. Related or Secondary Skills? What's your take on this @GM

GMToday at 4:47 AM
I would agree on that point

Halric-Halfman (Blind-Man #8544)Today at 4:51 AM
So, I can pick those as Secondary skills, even though they aren't on the list of O.C.C. Related Skills?

GMToday at 1:25 PM
If the occ says it can not be taken in that category I'm going to say no"

When my GM told me that he agrees on that point, he wasn't answering my question properly and yet, from the way he ended that conversation. I'd only assume that he doesn't agree that those skills are automatically already there & need to be picked up through the course of time as my character gains in experience levels. At least I assume so. I just hate it when GM's are being vague when answering questions.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

SirSpamHammer wrote:
Prysus wrote:

&

Page 19

Page 20

You have answered both my questions and the answer to the first one is one I agree with in particular. Although, like you told me, your not my GM and from this excerpt of a conversation we had earlier today (below). I'm not sure he agrees, although I do.

Taken from Discord.......

" Halric-Halfman (Blind-Man #8544)Today at 4:47 AM
It's not clear whether the Art : Drafting, Chemistry, Demolitions, Metalworking and Pilot/Use Invention are automatically part of the Tinkerer's O.C.C.s abilities or they don't actually have them unless they pick them as O.C.C. Related or Secondary Skills? What's your take on this @GM

GMToday at 4:47 AM
I would agree on that point

Halric-Halfman (Blind-Man #8544)Today at 4:51 AM
So, I can pick those as Secondary skills, even though they aren't on the list of O.C.C. Related Skills?

GMToday at 1:25 PM
If the occ says it can not be taken in that category I'm going to say no"

When my GM told me that he agrees on that point, he wasn't answering my question properly and yet, from the way he ended that conversation. I'd only assume that he doesn't agree that those skills are automatically already there & need to be picked up through the course of time as my character gains in experience levels. At least I assume so. I just hate it when GM's are being vague when answering questions.

After reading over this conversation I had in chat with my GM on Discord over and over again. I now realise that he was just agreeing with me on the Tinkerer O.C.C. not being clear on what was what either. Took me a while to work out his answer.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

If that is that is the what he sees that then ALL the class special skills and abilities are in question.

Would you GM have his Wizard or LLW have to pick LL Drifting, filling up a skill slot? or the Blacksmith having to choose Metalworking as one of his/her with a related skill slots?

The Tinkerer is written is the normal PB character class format. As such the "Special OCC Abilities & Skills" presented in the Tinkerer are ALL a part of the Tinkerer OCC. Excluding none of them.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:If that is that is the what he sees that then ALL the class special skills and abilities are in question.

Would you GM have his Wizard or LLW have to pick LL Drifting, filling up a skill slot? or the Blacksmith having to choose Metalworking as one of his/her with a related skill slots?

The Tinkerer is written is the normal PB character class format. As such the "Special OCC Abilities & Skills" presented in the Tinkerer are ALL a part of the Tinkerer OCC. Excluding none of them.

Thanks, I will think of going with that one.
SirSpamHammer
Explorer

On page 294 of the main rule book for Palladium Fantasy, it says that dwarves worship a number of deities and yet, I can only find one that is a Dwarf. Belimar, on page 174-175 of the book Dragons and Gods. I assume they mean gods from the other races as well. I also wonder why somebody as racially intolerant as the dwarves might do that?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

According to the D&G book the dieties can change what they look like. They may choose to look like a dwarf to a dwarf and an elf to an elf...etc...

As for any bais'es that may have cropped up in the writing, there is one place to look at. But then again most of the PB dieties are not described as one race or another. (Except in the GotG book, where there are some gods specifically associated with a race..)
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

SirSpamHammer wrote:On page 294 of the main rule book for Palladium Fantasy, it says that dwarves worship a number of deities and yet, I can only find one that is a Dwarf. Belimar, on page 174-175 of the book Dragons and Gods. I assume they mean gods from the other races as well.

Greetings and Salutations. Gods from other races? What race exactly do you believe Thoth is? Is he human? Elf? And if you're thinking is he's not another race, he's a god, then I'd say you stumbled upon your answer. Gods are not human, elf, or dwarf. If you feel Thoth is one of those races, I'd be curious to hear your rationale.

Also, keep in mind, I don't believe many (if any) gods would only be worshipped by a single race. That would've lead to entire pantheons being wiped out during the Age of Chaos as their worship base was wiped out (entire races were wiped out during the war). So if such folly had ever existed, I believe it would've been wiped out and those who survived learning smarter methods.

SirSpamHammer wrote:I also wonder why somebody as racially intolerant as the dwarves might do that?

I'm not at work so I don't have my books in front of me, but I don't recall dwarves being intolerant of all other races. They hate Elves in particular, but that's one specific race. I'm fairly sure they get along just fine with humans, and they like gnomes (though I believe gnomes aren't as fond of dwarves and prefer the company of elves).

Is there some passage I'm forgetting that makes you think dwarves only associate with other dwarves to the exclusion of all others?

Lunch is just about over, so that's all for now. Farewell and safe journeys.

SirSpamHammer
Explorer

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:According to the D&G book the dieties can change what they look like. They may choose to look like a dwarf to a dwarf and an elf to an elf...etc...

As for any bais'es that may have cropped up in the writing, there is one place to look at. But then again most of the PB dieties are not described as one race or another. (Except in the GotG book, where there are some gods specifically associated with a race..)

Thanks, I should probably read up on the gods more before I judge them again. BTW, which book is the GotG book? I'm not sure which one that is?
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

SirSpamHammer wrote:BTW, which book is the GotG book? I'm not sure which one that is?

Greetings and Salutations. That would be the newest PF book: Garden of the Gods.

Physical Copy: https://palladium-store.com/1001/produc ... y-RPG.html
Official PDF: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/34 ... nd-Edition
Free PDF Preview: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/29 ... ak-Preview

Farewell and safe journeys.

SirSpamHammer
Explorer

Greetings and Salutations. Gods from other races? What race exactly do you believe Thoth is? Is he human? Elf? And if you're thinking is he's not another race, he's a god, then I'd say you stumbled upon your answer. Gods are not human, elf, or dwarf. If you feel Thoth is one of those races, I'd be curious to hear your rationale.

Also, keep in mind, I don't believe many (if any) gods would only be worshipped by a single race. That would've lead to entire pantheons being wiped out during the Age of Chaos as their worship base was wiped out (entire races were wiped out during the war). So if such folly had ever existed, I believe it would've been wiped out and those who survived learning smarter methods.

I thought Thoth was a Egyptian god, but Thoth in this game is kind of different from that in that he or it started out as a Old One or Eldar Thing. Not that I'm mean that PF Thoth couldn't be the same as the god worshipped by Egyptians. I'm just saying that what I know of him. Anyway, your saying that gods are they're own race who depend on the worship from a mixture of races just incase one of those races get wiped out. That's Cool. I"m just more in the habit of thinking of the Deities and Demi-Gods from AD&D. I thought each race has their own pantheon. I know the Dwarves had few gods there....

"Moradin, as well as Abbathor, Berronar Truesilver, Clanggedin Silverbeard, Dugmaren Brightmantle, Dumathoin, Muamman Duathal, and Vergadain. Other dwarven gods (such as Hanseath, Mya, Roknar, Tharmekhûl, Thautam, and Valkauna"

I'm not at work so I don't have my books in front of me, but I don't recall dwarves being intolerant of all other races. They hate Elves in particular, but that's one specific race. I'm fairly sure they get along just fine with humans, and they like gnomes (though I believe gnomes aren't as fond of dwarves and prefer the company of elves).

Is there some passage I'm forgetting that makes you think dwarves only associate with other dwarves to the exclusion of all others?

Lunch is just about over, so that's all for now. Farewell and safe journeys.

Yeah, I guess your right there. They do get along with Humans, Kobolds, Gnomes, but not Elves. I was just referring to their list of enemies......

"Enemies: Goblins, hob-goblins, orcs, ogres, trolls, and Wolfen, along with most of the so-called monster races. To this day, the vast majority of dwarves and elves dislike each other and regard the other with suspicion and prejudice (racial hatred that has spanned 7,000 years).Changelings, giants and creatures of magic are generally disliked.

Allies: Dwarves are especially fond and tolerant of humans and are frequently active and valued members of the community - this despite the fact that elves have done likewise. Most dwarves also consider kobolds, troglodytes and gnomes as allies. They are indifferent towards faerie folk and titans."

Sorry if I was offensive with what I thought were the Dwarven view of their world while wasting your lunch time. I'm still learning about them a lot in Palladium Fantasy. I'm still not sure how I am going to play mine in this upcoming game. Even the GM said that he would ban anybody for being racist or bulling in his game. But what if that's roleplayed.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

SirSpamHammer wrote:Anyway, your saying that gods are they're own race who depend on the worship from a mixture of races just incase one of those races get wiped out. That's Cool. I"m just more in the habit of thinking of the Deities and Demi-Gods from AD&D. I thought each race has their own pantheon.

Greetings and Salutations. Yes, that's my take on things. I'm fairly sure gods requiring worshippers is in one of the books and that often the amount of worshippers they have will have an impact on their power. However, I'll add right now that I'm not sure of a page off hand, so it's possible that's my head canon and not supported by the text (I know there's at least some implication that suggests this in RCB2: Pantheons of the Megaverse on page 7, where they talk about how a Godlings power isn't affected by the number or worshippers, unlike the more powerful gods).

That's why, to my understanding, gods don't correct different worshippers. So if one group believes in blood sacrifices and another group thinks that's heresy, the gods often just keep their mouth shut because they don't want to alienate either group.

And I'm aware of the D&D gods (or at least some of them) and am actually reading up on them for a project for a friend who loves D&D. But I don't see any indication of that in Palladium (other than possibly in Garden of the Gods, which I have not looked through nearly as much).

SirSpamHammer wrote:Sorry if I was offensive with what I thought were the Dwarven view of their world while wasting your lunch time. I'm still learning about them a lot in Palladium Fantasy. I'm still not sure how I am going to play mine in this upcoming game. Even the GM said that he would ban anybody for being racist or bulling in his game. But what if that's roleplayed.

No offense. I had some confusion, and perhaps more curt than I intended (as a result of trying to finish before my break ended, and dealing with various work conflicts). So if I acted offended, I apologize.

As for the G.M. putting his foot down against racism ... well, yeah, I can understand that. I can get that sometimes this is part of a character (such as a Dwarf and Elf not liking each other), but there can be a lot of other complications involved as well.

I can recall a thread on these forums where one player would assassinate any other player character who ever played an elf ... and that kind of thing can be very disruptive.
And some players can use "in character" racism as an excuse for acting out their in real life prejudice against another player. "I'm not being mean to her by constantly picking on her character. It's just my character."

Maybe the G.M. has just experienced enough racism in his life that he's sick of it and doesn't want to deal with it even if in a fantasy game.

Now I'm not saying you would be any of those problem players, but I can also understand a G.M. trying to prevent such things from the get go (which may even suggest he's experienced such a player recently or frequently in the past). So if the G.M. doesn't want any kind of racism in the game, I'd recommend respecting that kind of decision. If you really feel it's integral to your character, I'd recommend talking to him and seeing if there are some limits that can be setup.

With that said, dwarves don't have to hate elves. Elves don't have to hate dwarves. That's a common trait for these races, but you're still playing an individual. Individuals do not have to conform to societal norms. Maybe this one has grown up his whole life in a dwarf community that had a strong hatred for elves, but this character just doesn't understand holding onto a grudge for 8,000 years and that's why the character leave and go adventuring (to get away from that oppressive hatred).

I don't know your G.M., and I can't tell you what type of character to play (that's something you'll have to decide for yourself), but I do try to provide potential insights and possibilities. I'm not always perfect and sometimes I word things poorly. In the end though, I just hope that some of this helps. Farewell and safe journeys.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”