Rulebooks with Alternate Character Generation Rules?

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

foilfodder
Explorer

Rulebooks with Alternate Character Generation Rules?

Unread post by foilfodder »

I have many different Rulebooks from various Palladium settings. Typically Players roll 3d6 for I.Q., M.E. P.S., etc, except for the occassional O.C.C or R.C.C. with unique rules.

The Shadow Chronicles rulebook had an alternative method which involved picking a stereotype, Brainy, Strong, Quick Reflexes, Pretty Boy, which used rolling a single d4 or d6 plus a larger fixed value for each stat (Ex: 9+1d6 for I.Q. but 16+1d6 for P.S.). Characters using this method almost guarranteed to have 2 to 3 exceptional stats.

Other than Shadow Chronicles, are there any other rulebooks which have this character generation method?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Rulebooks with Alternate Character Generation Rules?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

the rifts lone star book has the 'exceptional human traits' table in it.

the SF book has a different Char Creation set up.

And then there is the HU char creation rules which are almost as much of an anthesis of the Character Class system as can get within the PB games.

BTS2 also has a different char creation that is related, distantly, to the HU set up in that the powers and skills are picked independently of each other. Picking the skills is related to picking the char's 'day job' occupation.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
foilfodder
Explorer

Re: Rulebooks with Alternate Character Generation Rules?

Unread post by foilfodder »

I have the Heroes Unlimited book...yes, depending on what character you are making the traditional 3d6 may not even be used.

Someone in the group I play with has Beyond the Supernatural...I will have to borrow it. Thanks for the info!

**EDIT**

Upon further investigation, the Dark Reign Books seem to include the same character creation system as Shadow Chronicles. Free Preview available on drivethruRPG
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/11 ... ak-Preview

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”