Board index » Across the Megaverse® » Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 2:31 am

Knight

or anything else which might halve damage. How do we deal with odd numbers?

1/2=0.5 and 3/2=1.5 for example.

I'm wondering if there is any canon answer anywhere about whether to round fractions up or down.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 3:23 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

Axelmania wrote:

I'm wondering if there is any canon answer anywhere about whether to round fractions up or down.

I've always wondered that myself. It's interesting to see what a PDF search will turn up, so I searched almost all the core rulebooks using the terms "round up" and "round down." There were random rules for rounding both ways, but they dealt with various powers or circumstances. There was one game that stood out, however. In Ninjas & Superspies, on page 126 (Hand to Hand Combat), it discusses resolving combat. It provides an example of a defender rolling with a knockout punch and in the example, it says to "always round up for fractions." Why is Ninjas & Superspies different than everything else? I suspect because it was written by Erick Wujcik and almost all the other games were written by Kevin. Different authors bringing their different perspectives, styles or nuances, I suppose.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:25 pm

Hero

I'd personally change the rounding to be favorable to what was being attempted, so in this case I'd round down (that likely isn't canon, however).

Unread postPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 1:47 am

Priest

Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay
Axelmania wrote:

You round down the amount of damage taken, because there's no way to take a partial point of damage, and there's no rule increasing that partial point to a full point.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Unread postPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:00 pm

Knight

Hm... are we technically told you can't take a partial point of damage? I can't remember ever reading that, so perhaps we could just track 0.5 damage?

Unread postPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:15 pm

Priest

Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay
Axelmania wrote:
Hm... are we technically told you can't take a partial point of damage? I can't remember ever reading that, so perhaps we could just track 0.5 damage?

We're never told that you CAN, and 1 point of SDC damage is the finest level of granualarity allowed by the rules.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Unread postPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:57 pm

Palladin

Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Axelmania wrote:

You round down the amount of damage taken, because there's no way to take a partial point of damage, and there's no rule increasing that partial point to a full point.

Easy way to test that.
We can look and see if there are any cases of something saying "minimum one point" or the like.
We can also look and see if there are any examples of rounding in examples in books of an ability being used and see what is done there.

The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Unread postPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:12 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

eliakon wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Axelmania wrote:

Easy way to test that.
We can look and see if there are any cases of something saying "minimum one point" or the like.
We can also look and see if there are any examples of rounding in examples in books of an ability being used and see what is done there.

See my above post. That may shed some light on it.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:06 pm

Palladin

Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.
Jack Burton wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Axelmania wrote:

Easy way to test that.

See my above post. That may shed some light on it.

With out knowing which way the various rounding up and downs went I can't really go further.
Its hard to extrapolate and figure out for example if some/all are one off rules about individual powers or if some/all are general rules.

The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Unread postPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:08 pm

Palladin

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Axelmania wrote:

Since Jack Burton says that there are rule citations that say to round up...
that would tell us that there are rules that increase partial points to a full point in at least some situations.

Edmund Burke wrote:

Unread postPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:28 pm

Knight

Aside from RWB, another combat example to look for would be "near miss" situations with blast radius, since that is also half damage.

RMB41 even talks about double-halving it when you RWB after being in blast radius, which would then bring up how you would round 0.25 or 0.75 (or if you must round at all).

Pulled Punches (which can halve or quarter damage) are another situation.

Jack Burton wrote:
In Ninjas & Superspies, on page 126 (Hand to Hand Combat), it discusses resolving combat. It provides an example of a defender rolling with a knockout punch and in the example, it says to "always round up for fractions." Why is Ninjas & Superspies different than everything else? I suspect because it was written by Erick Wujcik and almost all the other games were written by Kevin. Different authors bringing their different perspectives, styles or nuances, I suppose.

I overlooked this! But IS it different if we can't find an example of Kevin using RWB and rounding down?

This is also a VERY ODDLY WRITTEN part... I mean just look at it...
    That doesn't beat Bruno's Strike roll of 7. Kajo's defense fails
    Bruno's successful punch does 1D4 worth of damage.
    Bruno rolls a puny 1,
    but his +4 bonus to Damage is added into make the total equal to 4.
That's probably intended as 1+4=5 or 1+3=4. I'm thinking the first one based on the following.

Kajo attempts to Roll with Bruno's successful punch.
    His dice roll is 12, easily better than Bruno's Strike of 5.
    That means Kajo only takes half damage,
    half of 5 being 3
    (always round up for fractions).

That could be a mistake too, I guess. The strike roll was 7, not 5. It specified earlier you need to beat the strike roll, not the damage.

Killer Cyborg wrote:
We're never told that you CAN, and 1 point of SDC damage is the finest level of granualarity allowed by the rules.

Without a rule prohibiting decimals, I don't see how.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:18 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Axelmania wrote:
Aside from RWB, another combat example to look for would be "near miss" situations with blast radius, since that is also half damage.

RMB41 even talks about double-halving it when you RWB after being in blast radius, which would then bring up how you would round 0.25 or 0.75 (or if you must round at all).

Pulled Punches (which can halve or quarter damage) are another situation.

Jack Burton wrote:
In Ninjas & Superspies, on page 126 (Hand to Hand Combat), it discusses resolving combat. It provides an example of a defender rolling with a knockout punch and in the example, it says to "always round up for fractions." Why is Ninjas & Superspies different than everything else? I suspect because it was written by Erick Wujcik and almost all the other games were written by Kevin. Different authors bringing their different perspectives, styles or nuances, I suppose.

I overlooked this!

With so many books out there, it's amlost impossible to find things when you need to. I've come to rely on the search feature in Acrobat. Works awesome, provided you have the digital copies. (A good incentive to pick up as many as you can from DriveThruRPG!)