Board index » Across the Megaverse® » Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.

 


Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 2:31 am
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:13 pm
Posts: 5202
or anything else which might halve damage. How do we deal with odd numbers?

1/2=0.5 and 3/2=1.5 for example.

I'm wondering if there is any canon answer anywhere about whether to round fractions up or down.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 3:23 am
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 12:20 am
Posts: 427
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Axelmania wrote:
or anything else which might halve damage. How do we deal with odd numbers?

1/2=0.5 and 3/2=1.5 for example.

I'm wondering if there is any canon answer anywhere about whether to round fractions up or down.

I've always wondered that myself. It's interesting to see what a PDF search will turn up, so I searched almost all the core rulebooks using the terms "round up" and "round down." There were random rules for rounding both ways, but they dealt with various powers or circumstances. There was one game that stood out, however. In Ninjas & Superspies, on page 126 (Hand to Hand Combat), it discusses resolving combat. It provides an example of a defender rolling with a knockout punch and in the example, it says to "always round up for fractions." Why is Ninjas & Superspies different than everything else? I suspect because it was written by Erick Wujcik and almost all the other games were written by Kevin. Different authors bringing their different perspectives, styles or nuances, I suppose.

_________________
Image


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:25 pm
  

Hero

Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:49 am
Posts: 1261
I'd personally change the rounding to be favorable to what was being attempted, so in this case I'd round down (that likely isn't canon, however).

_________________
Axelmania wrote:
You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 1:47 am
  

User avatar
Priest

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:01 am
Posts: 28203
Location: In the ocean, punching oncoming waves
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay
Axelmania wrote:
or anything else which might halve damage. How do we deal with odd numbers?

1/2=0.5 and 3/2=1.5 for example.

I'm wondering if there is any canon answer anywhere about whether to round fractions up or down.


You round down the amount of damage taken, because there's no way to take a partial point of damage, and there's no rule increasing that partial point to a full point.

_________________
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:00 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:13 pm
Posts: 5202
Hm... are we technically told you can't take a partial point of damage? I can't remember ever reading that, so perhaps we could just track 0.5 damage?


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:15 pm
  

User avatar
Priest

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:01 am
Posts: 28203
Location: In the ocean, punching oncoming waves
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay
Axelmania wrote:
Hm... are we technically told you can't take a partial point of damage? I can't remember ever reading that, so perhaps we could just track 0.5 damage?


We're never told that you CAN, and 1 point of SDC damage is the finest level of granualarity allowed by the rules.

_________________
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:57 pm
  

User avatar
Palladin

Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:40 pm
Posts: 9284
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Axelmania wrote:
or anything else which might halve damage. How do we deal with odd numbers?

1/2=0.5 and 3/2=1.5 for example.

I'm wondering if there is any canon answer anywhere about whether to round fractions up or down.


You round down the amount of damage taken, because there's no way to take a partial point of damage, and there's no rule increasing that partial point to a full point.

Easy way to test that.
We can look and see if there are any cases of something saying "minimum one point" or the like.
We can also look and see if there are any examples of rounding in examples in books of an ability being used and see what is done there.

_________________
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:12 pm
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 12:20 am
Posts: 427
Location: Las Vegas, NV
eliakon wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Axelmania wrote:
or anything else which might halve damage. How do we deal with odd numbers?

1/2=0.5 and 3/2=1.5 for example.

I'm wondering if there is any canon answer anywhere about whether to round fractions up or down.


You round down the amount of damage taken, because there's no way to take a partial point of damage, and there's no rule increasing that partial point to a full point.

Easy way to test that.
We can look and see if there are any cases of something saying "minimum one point" or the like.
We can also look and see if there are any examples of rounding in examples in books of an ability being used and see what is done there.

See my above post. That may shed some light on it.

_________________
Image


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:06 pm
  

User avatar
Palladin

Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:40 pm
Posts: 9284
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.
Jack Burton wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Axelmania wrote:
or anything else which might halve damage. How do we deal with odd numbers?

1/2=0.5 and 3/2=1.5 for example.

I'm wondering if there is any canon answer anywhere about whether to round fractions up or down.


You round down the amount of damage taken, because there's no way to take a partial point of damage, and there's no rule increasing that partial point to a full point.

Easy way to test that.
We can look and see if there are any cases of something saying "minimum one point" or the like.
We can also look and see if there are any examples of rounding in examples in books of an ability being used and see what is done there.

See my above post. That may shed some light on it.

With out knowing which way the various rounding up and downs went I can't really go further.
Its hard to extrapolate and figure out for example if some/all are one off rules about individual powers or if some/all are general rules.

_________________
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:08 pm
  

User avatar
Palladin

Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:40 pm
Posts: 9284
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Axelmania wrote:
or anything else which might halve damage. How do we deal with odd numbers?

1/2=0.5 and 3/2=1.5 for example.

I'm wondering if there is any canon answer anywhere about whether to round fractions up or down.


You round down the amount of damage taken, because there's no way to take a partial point of damage, and there's no rule increasing that partial point to a full point.

Since Jack Burton says that there are rule citations that say to round up...
that would tell us that there are rules that increase partial points to a full point in at least some situations.

_________________
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:28 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:13 pm
Posts: 5202
Aside from RWB, another combat example to look for would be "near miss" situations with blast radius, since that is also half damage.

RMB41 even talks about double-halving it when you RWB after being in blast radius, which would then bring up how you would round 0.25 or 0.75 (or if you must round at all).

Pulled Punches (which can halve or quarter damage) are another situation.

Jack Burton wrote:
In Ninjas & Superspies, on page 126 (Hand to Hand Combat), it discusses resolving combat. It provides an example of a defender rolling with a knockout punch and in the example, it says to "always round up for fractions." Why is Ninjas & Superspies different than everything else? I suspect because it was written by Erick Wujcik and almost all the other games were written by Kevin. Different authors bringing their different perspectives, styles or nuances, I suppose.

I overlooked this! But IS it different if we can't find an example of Kevin using RWB and rounding down?

This is also a VERY ODDLY WRITTEN part... I mean just look at it...
    That doesn't beat Bruno's Strike roll of 7. Kajo's defense fails
    ..
    Bruno's successful punch does 1D4 worth of damage.
    Bruno rolls a puny 1,
    but his +4 bonus to Damage is added into make the total equal to 4.
That's probably intended as 1+4=5 or 1+3=4. I'm thinking the first one based on the following.

    Kajo attempts to Roll with Bruno's successful punch.
    His dice roll is 12, easily better than Bruno's Strike of 5.
    That means Kajo only takes half damage,
    half of 5 being 3
    (always round up for fractions).

That could be a mistake too, I guess. The strike roll was 7, not 5. It specified earlier you need to beat the strike roll, not the damage.

Killer Cyborg wrote:
We're never told that you CAN, and 1 point of SDC damage is the finest level of granualarity allowed by the rules.

Without a rule prohibiting decimals, I don't see how.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:18 pm
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 12:20 am
Posts: 427
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Axelmania wrote:
Aside from RWB, another combat example to look for would be "near miss" situations with blast radius, since that is also half damage.

RMB41 even talks about double-halving it when you RWB after being in blast radius, which would then bring up how you would round 0.25 or 0.75 (or if you must round at all).

Pulled Punches (which can halve or quarter damage) are another situation.

Jack Burton wrote:
In Ninjas & Superspies, on page 126 (Hand to Hand Combat), it discusses resolving combat. It provides an example of a defender rolling with a knockout punch and in the example, it says to "always round up for fractions." Why is Ninjas & Superspies different than everything else? I suspect because it was written by Erick Wujcik and almost all the other games were written by Kevin. Different authors bringing their different perspectives, styles or nuances, I suppose.

I overlooked this!

With so many books out there, it's amlost impossible to find things when you need to. I've come to rely on the search feature in Acrobat. Works awesome, provided you have the digital copies. (A good incentive to pick up as many as you can from DriveThruRPG!)

_________________
Image


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:35 pm
  

User avatar
Priest

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:01 am
Posts: 28203
Location: In the ocean, punching oncoming waves
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay
Axelmania wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
We're never told that you CAN, and 1 point of SDC damage is the finest level of granualarity allowed by the rules.

Without a rule prohibiting decimals, I don't see how.


There's no need for a rule prohibiting decimals.
There is no rule ALLOWING decimals.

_________________
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:41 am
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:13 pm
Posts: 5202
Killer Cyborg wrote:
There's no need for a rule prohibiting decimals.
There is no rule ALLOWING decimals.

Decimals are something adults inherently understand how to use in math. I think the target audience for all of Palladium's games is mature enough to use them, so they could be an assumed option.

BTW, is there also no need for a rule prohibiting water toxemiabecause there is no rule allowing water toxemia?


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:01 pm
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Mon May 29, 2017 12:20 am
Posts: 427
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Axelmania wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
There's no need for a rule prohibiting decimals.
There is no rule ALLOWING decimals.

Decimals are something adults inherently understand how to use in math. I think the target audience for all of Palladium's games is mature enough to use them, so they could be an assumed option.

BTW, is there also no need for a rule prohibiting water toxemiabecause there is no rule allowing water toxemia?

Axel, do you play as a GM, player or go back and forth?

_________________
Image


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:38 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:13 pm
Posts: 5202
Yes, one of those.

Back to the topic please.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:23 am
  

User avatar
Priest

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:01 am
Posts: 28203
Location: In the ocean, punching oncoming waves
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay
Axelmania wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
There's no need for a rule prohibiting decimals.
There is no rule ALLOWING decimals.

Decimals are something adults inherently understand how to use in math. I think the target audience for all of Palladium's games is mature enough to use them, so they could be an assumed option.


Nope.
If you want to claim that decimals are intended to be used, find a case in canon where they ARE used.

_________________
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:57 pm
  

User avatar
Adventurer

Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2000 1:01 am
Posts: 422
Location: Woodbridge, VA USA (S of Wash DC)
Axelmania wrote:
Yes, one of those.

Back to the topic please.


It's a valid question. Which side of the screen a person is on more often does tend to influence how they interpret rules. .

_________________
Myrrhibis
--the VAwitchy Gamer Chick
Help my eggs & hatchlings to grow to hatch: Get your own @ Dragcave.net

Image


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:33 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:13 pm
Posts: 5202
Myrrhibis wrote:
It's a valid question. Which side of the screen a person is on more often does tend to influence how they interpret rules.

Beg to differ. Feel free to answer how you feel about both groups.

Killer Cyborg wrote:
If you want to claim that decimals are intended to be used, find a case in canon where they ARE used.

If you want to claim that rounding is intended to be used, find a case in canon when rounding up/down is used.

If you do, I will of course follow up with that setting a precedent that the default is NOT to round unless specified.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:07 am
  

User avatar
Priest

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:01 am
Posts: 28203
Location: In the ocean, punching oncoming waves
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay
Axelmania wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
If you want to claim that decimals are intended to be used, find a case in canon where they ARE used.

If you want to claim that rounding is intended to be used, find a case in canon when rounding up/down is used.


Not near my books this week, but I bet that YOU could find cases, if you look.
;)

Of you could just understand that the way games work is that they have set levels of granularity unless otherwise specified.
You can't have a PS score f 18.5 in Rifts or any other RPG that doesn't allow for decimals.
You can't pay somebody 50 cents in Monopoly.
You can't score half a basket in basketball.
And so forth.

_________________
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:46 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:13 pm
Posts: 5202
Killer Cyborg wrote:
You can't have a PS score f 18.5 in Rifts or any other RPG that doesn't allow for decimals.

If you have a PS of 37 and something says to halve your PS, and doesn't say to round up or down, then why not?

Unless decimals are DISallowed (outlawed) I think it's fair to assume we can use whatever numbers the rules call for.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:16 am
  

User avatar
Priest

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:01 am
Posts: 28203
Location: In the ocean, punching oncoming waves
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay
Axelmania wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
You can't have a PS score f 18.5 in Rifts or any other RPG that doesn't allow for decimals.

If you have a PS of 37 and something says to halve your PS, and doesn't say to round up or down, then why not?


Because the rules don't allow for that level of granularity.

_________________
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:00 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:13 pm
Posts: 5202
Why not? Do the rules also not allow me to cast a spell 1.5 feet away?


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:28 am
  

User avatar
Priest

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:01 am
Posts: 28203
Location: In the ocean, punching oncoming waves
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay
Axelmania wrote:
Why not?


You'd have to ask the rule-makers.

Quote:
Do the rules also not allow me to cast a spell 1.5 feet away?


Not if you roll dice to determine range, no.

But typically, the range of a spell is a maximum distance, not a specific distance, so it's not really comparable to damage: damage is specific.

_________________
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:47 am
  

User avatar
Priest

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:01 am
Posts: 28203
Location: In the ocean, punching oncoming waves
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay
Again, I'm away from my books this week.
But if you really want answers to the question "can SDC/HP damage be inflicted in fraction or decimal amounts,"
I think you can find places in the books where it describes an attack doing "no damage (less than 1 HP)" or similar such wording.
Might be under insects, blowgun needles, and other similar kinds of attacks.

_________________
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:35 pm
  

User avatar
Palladin

Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:40 pm
Posts: 9284
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.
Book of Magic
Page 179
Lesser Animal Drawing: Wasp or Bee "Causing one S.D.C. point of damage per every two stings"

I think that pretty much settles the issue of "can you do less than one point of damage" for good and all.
As their attack does 1/2 a point of damage :lol:

_________________
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:57 am
  

User avatar
Priest

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:01 am
Posts: 28203
Location: In the ocean, punching oncoming waves
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay
eliakon wrote:
Book of Magic
Page 179
Lesser Animal Drawing: Wasp or Bee "Causing one S.D.C. point of damage per every two stings"

I think that pretty much settles the issue of "can you do less than one point of damage" for good and all.
As their attack does 1/2 a point of damage :lol:


Nice find, BUT...

Actually, I'd argue the other way!

The fact that the damage is listed as 1 point per TWO stings indicates that there is no way to deal less than 1 point of damage.
This limit is so concrete that the books list how many attacks it takes to get to that minimum, instead of stating that each sting does 1/2 a point of damage.
As written, what it means is that if a Wasp or Bee stings your character only once, then your character takes zero damage.
It's only after the second sting when the damage is high enough to count as damage.

_________________
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:49 am
  

Hero

Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:49 am
Posts: 1261
Killer Cyborg wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Book of Magic
Page 179
Lesser Animal Drawing: Wasp or Bee "Causing one S.D.C. point of damage per every two stings"

I think that pretty much settles the issue of "can you do less than one point of damage" for good and all.
As their attack does 1/2 a point of damage :lol:


Nice find, BUT...

Actually, I'd argue the other way!

The fact that the damage is listed as 1 point per TWO stings indicates that there is no way to deal less than 1 point of damage.
This limit is so concrete that the books list how many attacks it takes to get to that minimum, instead of stating that each sting does 1/2 a point of damage.
As written, what it means is that if a Wasp or Bee stings your character only once, then your character takes zero damage.
It's only after the second sting when the damage is high enough to count as damage.

I concur with KC here. If someone is stung 5 times, they took 2 damage, not 2.5.

_________________
Axelmania wrote:
You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:34 pm
  

User avatar
Palladin

Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:40 pm
Posts: 9284
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.
Killer Cyborg wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Book of Magic
Page 179
Lesser Animal Drawing: Wasp or Bee "Causing one S.D.C. point of damage per every two stings"

I think that pretty much settles the issue of "can you do less than one point of damage" for good and all.
As their attack does 1/2 a point of damage :lol:


Nice find, BUT...

Actually, I'd argue the other way!

The fact that the damage is listed as 1 point per TWO stings indicates that there is no way to deal less than 1 point of damage.
This limit is so concrete that the books list how many attacks it takes to get to that minimum, instead of stating that each sting does 1/2 a point of damage.
As written, what it means is that if a Wasp or Bee stings your character only once, then your character takes zero damage.
It's only after the second sting when the damage is high enough to count as damage.

They still took that '.5' damage
because unless they take .5 you can't ever get to 2
its pretty simple
If each sting rounds down to zero then NO number of stings will ever add up to 1.
The ONLY way to have the rule make sense is if the sting does .5 damage.
it just doesn't 'take effect' until the damage is a whole number. But it is still there...just off to the side in the realm of "not important for now but track this for later"
By your logic you have this...which is the opposite of the rules
Sting <round to zero>
Sting <round to zero>
Sting <round to zero>
Sting <round to zero>

The rules clearly demonstrate it is this
Sting for .5 effect is 0
Sting for .5 effect is 1
Sting for .5 effect is 0
Sting for .5 effect is 1


Kind of how you can have machine gun bursts that do 1 MD when no individual bullet does 1 MD?
Same exact thing.
Each bullet did a fraction of an MD. And they all added up to 1 MD.
Now yes, normally you ignore the fractions.
Normally.
But not always.
The fact that we can point to examples of where you DON'T means that you can't claim it is a universal rule. Simply the easier rule of thumb.

_________________
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:55 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:13 pm
Posts: 5202
One interesting situation is HU2p259, the end note for "Encase in Earth" mentions for those "whose arms are pinned" that "flexing to break free inflicts 10% the normal damage of a punch".

Absolutely no reference to anything "so long as you do at least 10 damage", mind you, to rule out fractions or imply downward rounding. So someone with a 1D4 punch should be able to inflict somewhere between 0.1 and 0.4 damage per attack, eventually getting up to the 30 or 60 that's required.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:58 pm
  

User avatar
Priest

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:01 am
Posts: 28203
Location: In the ocean, punching oncoming waves
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay
eliakon wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Book of Magic
Page 179
Lesser Animal Drawing: Wasp or Bee "Causing one S.D.C. point of damage per every two stings"

I think that pretty much settles the issue of "can you do less than one point of damage" for good and all.
As their attack does 1/2 a point of damage :lol:


Nice find, BUT...

Actually, I'd argue the other way!

The fact that the damage is listed as 1 point per TWO stings indicates that there is no way to deal less than 1 point of damage.
This limit is so concrete that the books list how many attacks it takes to get to that minimum, instead of stating that each sting does 1/2 a point of damage.
As written, what it means is that if a Wasp or Bee stings your character only once, then your character takes zero damage.
It's only after the second sting when the damage is high enough to count as damage.

They still took that '.5' damage
because unless they take .5 you can't ever get to 2
its pretty simple


Simple, but incorrect.

Quote:
If each sting rounds down to zero then NO number of stings will ever add up to 1.


It's not that each sting rounds down to zero.
It's that every 2nd sting inflicts 1 point of damage.

[The ONLY way to have the rule make sense is if the sting does .5 damage.
it just doesn't 'take effect' until the damage is a whole number. But it is still there...just off to the side in the realm of "not important for now but track this for later"
By your logic you have this...which is the opposite of the rules
Sting <round to zero>
Sting <round to zero>[/quote]

Incorrect.
By my logic, it works exactly as the book clearly states:
Sting <Inflicts Zero Damage>
Sting <Inflicts 1 Damage>
Sting <Inflicts Zero Damage>
Sting <Inflicts 1 Damage>

Quote:
Kind of how you can have machine gun bursts that do 1 MD when no individual bullet does 1 MD?
Same exact thing.


Yes, exact same thing.
A burst does 1 MD.
Individual rounds inflict 0 MD.
There is NO mega-damage inflicted at all, unless a certain described event occurs, and when it does occur, 1 MD is inflicted.
.5 MD never happens, nor any other fraction of a damage point.

Quote:
Each bullet did a fraction of an MD.


Nope.
You cannot inflict a fraction of an MD.

_________________
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:00 pm
  

User avatar
Priest

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:01 am
Posts: 28203
Location: In the ocean, punching oncoming waves
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay
Axelmania wrote:
One interesting situation is HU2p259, the end note for "Encase in Earth" mentions for those "whose arms are pinned" that "flexing to break free inflicts 10% the normal damage of a punch".

Absolutely no reference to anything "so long as you do at least 10 damage", mind you, to rule out fractions or imply downward rounding. So someone with a 1D4 punch should be able to inflict somewhere between 0.1 and 0.4 damage per attack, eventually getting up to the 30 or 60 that's required.


If 10% of the normal damage of a punch is <1 point of damage, then 0 points of damage are inflicted.

_________________
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:48 am
  

User avatar
Palladin

Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:40 pm
Posts: 9284
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.
Killer Cyborg wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Book of Magic
Page 179
Lesser Animal Drawing: Wasp or Bee "Causing one S.D.C. point of damage per every two stings"

I think that pretty much settles the issue of "can you do less than one point of damage" for good and all.
As their attack does 1/2 a point of damage :lol:


Nice find, BUT...

Actually, I'd argue the other way!

The fact that the damage is listed as 1 point per TWO stings indicates that there is no way to deal less than 1 point of damage.
This limit is so concrete that the books list how many attacks it takes to get to that minimum, instead of stating that each sting does 1/2 a point of damage.
As written, what it means is that if a Wasp or Bee stings your character only once, then your character takes zero damage.
It's only after the second sting when the damage is high enough to count as damage.

They still took that '.5' damage
because unless they take .5 you can't ever get to 2
its pretty simple


Simple, but incorrect.

Good thing your not taking an elitist attitude here where you talk down to those who disagree to you.

Killer Cyborg wrote:
eliakon wrote:
If each sting rounds down to zero then NO number of stings will ever add up to 1.


It's not that each sting rounds down to zero.
It's that every 2nd sting inflicts 1 point of damage.

That's not what it says though.
It says every two stings, not every second.


Killer Cyborg wrote:
eliakon wrote:
The ONLY way to have the rule make sense is if the sting does .5 damage.
it just doesn't 'take effect' until the damage is a whole number. But it is still there...just off to the side in the realm of "not important for now but track this for later"
By your logic you have this...which is the opposite of the rules
Sting <round to zero>
Sting <round to zero>


Incorrect.
By my logic, it works exactly as the book clearly states:
Sting <Inflicts Zero Damage>
Sting <Inflicts 1 Damage>
Sting <Inflicts Zero Damage>
Sting <Inflicts 1 Damage>

Which is saying that the sting does either 1 point or 0 points. which isn't what it says.
It says that two points CUMULATIVELY do 1 point.
Not that every second sting does 1 point all on its own.

Killer Cyborg wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Kind of how you can have machine gun bursts that do 1 MD when no individual bullet does 1 MD?
Same exact thing.


Yes, exact same thing.
A burst does 1 MD.
Individual rounds inflict 0 MD.
There is NO mega-damage inflicted at all, unless a certain described event occurs, and when it does occur, 1 MD is inflicted.
.5 MD never happens, nor any other fraction of a damage point.

I would beg to differ.
They each did their fractional MD and when/if those fractions become a whole number *before* the slate is reset then 1 MD is inflicted.
But they inflicted damage, and that damage was a portion of the whole.
One bullet didn't do the 1MD and the rest just wave pom-poms and say 'go team'

Killer Cyborg wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Each bullet did a fraction of an MD.


Nope.
You cannot inflict a fraction of an MD.

The math says otherwise
Because no bullet does 1 MD and the burst did.
Seriously you are using circular logic here
Your stance is that you can't do fractional damage... because all damage is whole, therefore you can't do fractional damage.
That's circular logic.
We can demonstrate with bursts and with the drawing examples of things that do less than 1 damage individually that cumulatively do 1 point of damage.
Heck we see this all the time.
Shotgun? Cumulative damage
Burst? Cumulative damage
Rail gun? Cumulative damage
Fragmentation grenade/missile/shell? Cumulative damage
Basically all DoT? Cumulative damage

You may not track the fractions but they are there. Because if you round every fractional source down to zero... then all railguns do 0. All shotguns do 0. Acids and poisons and machineguns and more do 0.
You are confusing "can you do a fraction" and "do you actually track those fractions on your sheet" aka MDC: 23.87765
Answer to #1 is yes and #2 is no.

_________________
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:46 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:13 pm
Posts: 5202
Killer Cyborg wrote:
If 10% of the normal damage of a punch is <1 point of damage, then 0 points of damage are inflicted.

CEF: Earth makes no mention of that, what in HU2 are you basing that on?


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:22 pm
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 7:48 pm
Posts: 2454
Location: Boise, ID (US)
eliakon wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Each bullet did a fraction of an MD.


Nope.
You cannot inflict a fraction of an MD.

The math says otherwise

Greetings and Salutations. The rules don't care much about the math, on the other hand. To provide some examples (and I'll make sure some are specifically regarding M.D.C./S.D.C.).

RUE, page 355 wrote:
Mega-Damage Capacity (M.D.C.) armor is impervious to S.D.C./Hit Point damage! Only S.D.C. weapons that inflict 100 or more S.D.C. points of damage can hurt M.D.C. armor. All other S.D.C. attacks (1-99 points of damage) bounce offf armor like bullets bounce off Superman. The attack might leave scratches, scuffs, little ding marks, and pit the paint job, but that's it.

So unless the attack can inflict 100 points of damage (in a single attack), then it does no damage, per the rules. So, if you have a machine gun that can inflict 1 M.D. point of damage with a burst, that's a single attack. But if you fire one bullet at a time, it'll never add up to 1 M.D. even if it does more total damage. That's the rules. This can be seen in greater detail in the original Rifts main book.

RMB, page 11 wrote:
Example: [snip] All are wearing M.D.C. armor. Suddenly, they are attacked by thirty rebel bandits. The bandits are armed with old S.D.C. weapons, mostly M-16 assault rifles and sub-machineguns.

The two soldiers in Dead Boy armor are caught in a hail of bullets. Perhaps as many as 50 rounds hit for a combined amount of S.D.C. damage of about 300, but the soldiers just stand their ground. All bullets bounce off their mega-damage body armor. The worst is a few scratches. They take no damage!

So 30 people attack three targets (but only two are mentioned for this part) for 300 total damage. I'm not sure if that's total damage, or to each target, but for now I'll say each target. I'll divide the 30 attackers into three separate groups of 10 each. So 10 attacks deal 300 total damage, approximately 30 damage per bandit/attack. The total is irrelevant, because it does 0 damage. If the attacks inflicted fractions as you claim, then it would add up to 3 M.D., but it doesn't (per the example, and the rules coincide more or less with RUE).

And though not regarding Rifts specifically (or M.D. in general), there's a quote in Ninjas & Superspies that provides an example (an example I can't find in the other books).

N&S, page 126 wrote:
Example: Kajo attempts to Roll with Bruno's successful punch. His dice roll is 12, easily better than Bruno's Strike of 5. That means Kajo takes only half damage, half of 5 being 3 (always round up for fractions).

In this case, we're specifically told to round up for fractions. Now, this is the opposite of the M.D. rule (which clarifies we round down for S.D.C. attacks), but neither example grants fractions.

Let's look at the BoM Bee/Wasp damage rule with the N&S rule.

You're stung by 5 bees. That's 2 damage by the rules, or 2.5 if you include fractions. Now Roll with the attack. Half of 2.5 is 1.25 (round up) to 2. Half of 2 is 1. Which do you think is supported by the actual rules?

The Bee/Wasp damage is NOT listed as .5 damage each. It's specifically listed as 1 point for two stings. While mathematically that means each sting does .5 damage, that is NOT what the rules state. The rules do not always perfectly reflect reality or math. If you think the rules must 100% be mathematically accurate, I refer you to this thread which is a recent example that this is faulty logic when it comes to Palladium: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=157911

Hopefully that helps. Farewell and safe journeys to all.

_________________
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.


          Top  
 
 
Post new topic Reply to topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group