Techno form (PU3) and Rifts vehicles

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Techno form (PU3) and Rifts vehicles

Unread post by ITWastrel »

Powers Unlimited 3 brought us "Techno-Form", a major ability which allows a character to change into machines, weapon emplacements, and vehicles. I understand the basics, a character can become a jet or a tank, a spacecraft or a howitzer. They can become machinery native to their world and/or experiences. Cool.

My question is this. When this transfo... er, transmogrifier, is imported to RIFTS, Phase World, or Robotech, should this power be interpreted as the ability to become the machinery native to that setting.
Assuming the character has a familiarity the world (native?) and with these vehicles, aircraft, spacecraft, or similar, I wonder...

Would the super be able to become a skycycle? A suit of power armor? A Triax robot? A Veritech or M.A.C. II? (A very, very small M.A.C. II?)
I also wonder who in their right mind would allow a super into the Macross universe, but hey, it's RIFTS, some stuff just happens.

Opinions? Word from above?
dreicunan
Hero

Re: Techno form (PU3) and Rifts vehicles

Unread post by dreicunan »

ITWastrel wrote:Powers Unlimited 3 brought us "Techno-Form", a major ability which allows a character to change into machines, weapon emplacements, and vehicles. I understand the basics, a character can become a jet or a tank, a spacecraft or a howitzer. They can become machinery native to their world and/or experiences. Cool.

My question is this. When this transfo... er, transmogrifier, is imported to RIFTS, Phase World, or Robotech, should this power be interpreted as the ability to become the machinery native to that setting.
Assuming the character has a familiarity the world (native?) and with these vehicles, aircraft, spacecraft, or similar, I wonder...

Would the super be able to become a skycycle? A suit of power armor? A Triax robot? A Veritech or M.A.C. II? (A very, very small M.A.C. II?)
I also wonder who in their right mind would allow a super into the Macross universe, but hey, it's RIFTS, some stuff just happens.

Opinions? Word from above?

Sure, the form of any of those could be taken,but the technoform stats remain the same. Pick the closest equivalent from the list.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: 44 years in denver, but now in grand rapids.

Re: Techno form (PU3) and Rifts vehicles

Unread post by Vincent Takeda »

I've always presumed that on its own, technoform's forms are custom one off looks that cant be mistaken for anything else... You're not just a car, you're a unique car. Not just a tank you've seen before or a bot you've seen before but each form you have has a distinctive 'you' style to it. I have on the other hand combined this power with alter physical body in order to allow the technoform character to impersonate specific models. Skelebots, naruni repobot, triax borg, or replicate brand name vehicles. Thats just my personal take on it though. A pair of my longest running characters has exactly this combo. Dane and Rifka, a.k.a. Kitbash and Cameo.

And I cant see a reason why the character couldnt have a hoverbike option given the jet and helicopter options already available.

Agree with Drei though. Even if you can impersonate an existing vehicle or bot, your stats remain the stats of the power itself.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”