MDC by location combat confusion

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Delrik
Newb

MDC by location combat confusion

Unread post by Delrik »

What are the combat rules for dealing with opponents with mdc by location? Are called shots used to target these specific areas?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: MDC by location combat confusion

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Yes you can make called shots to specific locations. It really doesn't matter if you have MDC by location or not, but having it makes it a bit easier to gauge effect of an attack (ex, did I destroy/disable that 'bots leg or not with that shot).
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

At level 5 and higher, called shots become a viable Combat action.
Borg 280mdc, bad. Borg Head 80mdc. Target that!!
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

What's special about 5 compared to 4 or 6
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

nothing really.

Called shots use up extra attacks per melee (standard called shot is 2, an "aimed called shot" with a strike bonus is 3), and at level 4/5 is when all the HtH skills start gaining extra attacks. however since they all start with enough with 4 actions at level one (aside from assassin, at 3), the gain of a single attack is not a big deal, since at level one you can already get in 2 called shots a melee, or one called shot and some attacks left over for other things.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Axelmania wrote:What's special about 5 compared to 4 or 6

As gb2098 suggested it probably is about Attacks per Melee, but that doesn't really make sense as most HTH styles grant their first bonus action by Level 4 (Assassin the exception AFAIK, though some of the Rifts non-main book styles might be different), and getting a bonus .

I'd throw out Weapon Proficiency as another potential candidate or a combination of APM/WP for the strike bonus (with the WP being dependent on the specific weapon proficiency required and the ERA/line it is pulled from). But even this can push the level around and be highly subjective (if one thinks a given bonus value for called shots becomes viable at).
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Delrik wrote:What are the combat rules for dealing with opponents with mdc by location? Are called shots used to target these specific areas?

Unless the attacker makes a called shot, the attack hits the main body of the target.
Yes, a called shot is used to attack part of the target that are not it's main body.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Delrik wrote:What are the combat rules for dealing with opponents with mdc by location? Are called shots used to target these specific areas?

Unless the attacker makes a called shot, the attack hits the main body of the target.
Yes, a called shot is used to attack part of the target that are not it's main body.

True, in addition there is a Historically speaking an Optional rule that used "Random Hit Location Tables".

Robotech (1E) RPG Book 2: RDF Manual pg5 wrote:...I must stress that while these tables can be useful, they are optional. Their inclusion in a game is solely up to each game master.
When to Use the Tables"
The hit location tables can be used to indicate the area of a strike or hit whenever a random (uncalled) shot/attack is made and strikes.

1E Robotech introduced it, but I don't think it was carried over to Rifts or later lines (like 2E). The RHLT available in the 1E books don't even cover every mecha offered up, (IIRC) they are limited to Book2 and Book3 with later generations not getting RHLT, so you have to make you own for each mecha/vehicle type.

EDIT: changed "but" to "in addition" to seem less critical.
Last edited by ShadowLogan on Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

I was stating the basic rules to answer the questions that was asked.

(edit and sent something via PM)
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Axelmania
Knight

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

In the case of this one underwater sled in Underseas you need a called shot to hit the main body too :) At a heavier penalty than some other locations even.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Axelmania wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

In the case of this one underwater sled in Underseas you need a called shot to hit the main body too :) At a heavier penalty than some other locations even.

Maybe add a location/page and name?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Axelmania wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Maybe add a location/page and name?

Sea "Fin" Combat Sled" WB7 pg103-4 (104 specifically) IINM.

Additionally
There is also an other Historical and Optional Rule found in 1E RT Bk2 pg11 or Bk5 pg 60in the AM-1 Anti-Mecha Mine. Under Damage it notes "Considering this is a land mine, the G.M. may opt to subtract damage from the legs rather than the main body. I personally feel this is the most appropriate; after all the legs are taking the brunt of damage." I've checked the few places I could recall Rifts having Land Mines, but they aren't there.

We probably shouldn't forget that you can attempt to parry an attack to redirect the damage to a location other than the Main Body, but not all attacks can be parried (or done as easily). Missile defense allows one to use the limbs (arms) to block (parry),
Axelmania
Knight

Aside from the block-sacrifice with the arms are there any other instances of using parries to redirect damage to locations other than the main body?

I don't even think you have to roll a parry to do a missile defense, I don't recall the word parry showing up there. I figured automatic success.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Axelmania wrote:Aside from the block-sacrifice with the arms are there any other instances of using parries to redirect damage to locations other than the main body?

Melee Combat would be one. Just about every Elite & Basic Robot/PA Combat skill grants a bonus to Parry, and those main book tables tend to be referred back to.

Technically when you use Shields (WP Shield pg 327 RUE) you still take damage. The only thing that doesn't take damage from a parry is another weapon (when both are melee).

Axelmania wrote:I don't even think you have to roll a parry to do a missile defense, I don't recall the word parry showing up there. I figured automatic success.

It doesn't state you roll, but nothing suggests it is an automatic success either. Which is why the groups I've played with have rolled to parry.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”