Variable initiative how does it work?

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

psam_rage
Explorer
Comment: I like to go off on tangents! It gives people a better Idea of what I envision so we can be on the same footing.

Variable initiative how does it work?

Unread post by psam_rage »

I'm confused by how variable initiative works.

Example: I've ALWAYS avoided Cyber-Knights and the Mechano-Link power because their situational bonuses to initiative is the one bonus they give that causes my brain to want to implode.

They make no sense because (as far as I can tell) any time the ability triggers you either:
A) Do nothing because it doesn't raise init. enough.
B) Magically rewind time, explain to your group whats about to happen and why you need to act out of turn...

The worst bit is that other things give situation bonus like these and I tend to just ignore them as uselessly small buffs but in the case of CK/ML they are fairly major portions of the power block.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Variable initiative how does it work?

Unread post by eliakon »

The way I see it is working like a 'stack' in card games...
Everyone gets their initiative, and that is the starting stack. A,B,C,D,E,F,G.....
now as your going through the stack over and over during the turn, on the third 'pass' you get an interrupt going and now E moves up two places while B gets zapped with something that makes them move to the bottom. So for 'pass 4' you are now A, E, C, D, F, G, B.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”