Demon Dragonmage flight speed

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jag
D-Bee

Demon Dragonmage flight speed

Unread post by Jag »

For a while, because of this issue, I wasn't sure if these guys could actually fly under their own power at all.
The picture depicts them with wings and the description says they have dragon wings, but there's not flight speed stat anywhere.
What's really confusing is that at level 15 they get a +50% to their flight speed, are we assuming the use of the Fly spell or similar spells?

I considered hand-waving this and house ruling that they get the flight speed of the dragon they killed, as I assumed they would just use the same dragon's wings, but not all dragons have wings what's more according to the description they only use the dragon's head, not the wings.

I've googled and search these forums without a definite answer, I appreciate any help you're willing to provide on this.

Thanks for your help.

: D
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Demon Dragonmage flight speed

Unread post by eliakon »

I would, personally, just assume that they have a flying SPD equal to their regular SPD. I.e. they fly as fast as they walk.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. While I can't recall which book they were originally printed in, they do have a flight speed listed in their attributes in RWB30: D-Bees of NA. This is found on page 59, and it also mentions when they gain their ability to fly (which doesn't appear to be at the start, though I'm not entirely sure on the details as I don't know the race well enough). Still, hopefully that helps. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Edit #1: Okay, just realized WB30 lists the original book and checked it out. The "Speed" attribute is equal to the Flight Speed listed in D-Bees of NA, which lists a separate (yet slower, by 13 points) non-flight speed. The note about when they gain the ability to fly appears the same in both books.

Edit #2: Another note of interest, my copy of Psyscape is a First Printing, and within it they stop gaining new abilities at Level 10, so that Level 15 ability isn't anywhere to be found. I'm not sure at what point they started to include it, but I do see it mentioned in my copy of RWB30: D-Bees of NA.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Jag
D-Bee

Unread post by Jag »

I only own the RWB:30 and while it does have a Spd attribute I assumed it was referring to the normal land speed.
On page 57, on the upper right, "Attributes of the Young" it lists the standard 8. It goes on to say that it can't fly till it's a demon-dragonmage etc., but I don't see a specific flight speed stat there.

If this is clarified elsewhere that's fine too, but I would need to know where exactly. I would like to (literally) point to it for future reference. I'd buy if I new book if I had to.
For now I'll have to go with Flight Spd = Spd. If only because, while not the most satisfying answer, it makes the most sense based on the layout of the book and what it seems to imply. Also I can reference it.

For the moment it will have to do.

Thank you.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Jag wrote:I only own the RWB:30 and while it does have a Spd attribute I assumed it was referring to the normal land speed.
On page 57, on the upper right, "Attributes of the Young" it lists the standard 8. It goes on to say that it can't fly till it's a demon-dragonmage etc., but I don't see a specific flight speed stat there.

If this is clarified elsewhere that's fine too, but I would need to know where exactly. I would like to (literally) point to it for future reference. I'd buy if I new book if I had to.
For now I'll have to go with Flight Spd = Spd. If only because, while not the most satisfying answer, it makes the most sense based on the layout of the book and what it seems to imply. Also I can reference it.

For the moment it will have to do.

Thank you.

Greetings and Salutations. You're right, you're totally right. Somehow I misread it (more than once). Somehow I read the P.B. attribute as the base speed, and then the Speed attribute listed as their flight speed. I have no idea how I misread that so badly, my apologies (I hate providing bad information).

Hmm ... a consideration would be that the "double" the speed attribute at "adult" stage is due to flight (so normal speed remains for running, and the double upgrade is for flight only). Not sure, but that's the best rule I could come up with based on the available evidence. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Maybe their land speed goes down once they get wings due to greater weight and drag? That'd be a good compromise between WB12/30

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”