Demon & Monster Lore

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Demon & Monster Lore

Unread post by The Beast »

RUE expanded on this skill by saying that it can be taken more than once to know about demons from other lands. Keeping that in mind, which demons and monsters would be common to the skill, regardless of where the person with the skill is from? My immediate guess would be vampires, werewolves, and the main set of demons & devils. After that is where I draw a blank. Please don't limit yourself to Rifts when giving your answers.
mirithol
Wanderer
Comment: What would Little Finger do?

Re: Demon & Monster Lore

Unread post by mirithol »

Old One's minions? I think Old Ones themselves would fall under Lore - Religion, but the creatures they left behind might fall into your categories.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Examples of specialites might be
Nightlands
Archaic Demons
Creatures of Chaos
The Unbidden
Day Demons
Night Demons
Yama Hells
Etc.

Common stuff would be....well the stuff that you see all over the world. The most common demons, the general undead, common weres and fairies and dragons and stuff.
But if you want to know exotic dragons...that's a special skill (or a really good roll on the regular one)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. From the way I'm reading it, the skill (and most books) are written from a North America point of view. If you wanted to know about the races, monsters, and demons from South America (or Asia, or England, etc.) you'd need to take another skill. So you want know about any of the monsters or demons listed in Mystic Russia, for example. If you come across a monster from Australia, you won't even get the chance to roll because it's just that far out of your training. Easiest way to view it is by which world book it's in. The reverse is also true. If you're playing in Rifts Japan, you'll know about the Oni (because they're local), but pull something from D-Bees of North America and the characters shouldn't have a clue.

Common: Rifts Conversion Book One (Original & Revised) is probably generic enough to be considered local regardless of location. Dark Conversions probably too. The Dragons in RUE probably as well. That might end the list right there. The key here (to me) is that these are monster books without a region attached to them (though RUE is questionable, as Dog Boys for example are very much a North America thing).

That's at least my take on the matter. Hope some of that helps. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I'd like to know, if you are a Summoner who simply uses a random "summoner lesser demon or deevil" circle, would it be 1 roll to identify which of the two classes it is, and a second to determine which kind it is? Or would you just make 1 roll for all characteristics?
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

I'd just go with one.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Axelmania wrote:I'd like to know, if you are a Summoner who simply uses a random "summoner lesser demon or deevil" circle, would it be 1 roll to identify which of the two classes it is, and a second to determine which kind it is? Or would you just make 1 roll for all characteristics?

Just one. Either you identify what you have (and incidentally what sort of whatever it is) or you don't and just know its a Something Or Other From Someplace.
If you miss by a tiny amount (say less than 1/10th of your total skill or so) I might be nice and give you a general hint like "Your pretty sure its a Demon" or "Well, your quite confidant that what ever it might be, its not Hadean." Of course if you fail by more than a tiny bit I would just say "Well it is definitely a Something. Or possibly a Whatever. Your not quite sure." And if you get a 00 (or a 99 if I'm feeling ornery) I'm going to just out right lie.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

eliakon wrote:Examples of specialites might be
Nightlands
Archaic Demons
Creatures of Chaos
The Unbidden
Day Demons
Night Demons
Yama Hells
Etc.

Common stuff would be....well the stuff that you see all over the world. The most common demons, the general undead, common weres and fairies and dragons and stuff.
But if you want to know exotic dragons...that's a special skill (or a really good roll on the regular one)

(bolded text done by me for emphasis)
Nightlands is covered under a seperate lore skill. Lore: Nightlands from the Nightbane main book.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Marcethus wrote:
eliakon wrote:Examples of specialites might be
Nightlands
Archaic Demons
Creatures of Chaos
The Unbidden
Day Demons
Night Demons
Yama Hells
Etc.

(bolded text done by me for emphasis)
Nightlands is covered under a seperate lore skill. Lore: Nightlands from the Nightbane main book.

The various demons from that game world though would be a valid specialization of Demon and Monster lore.
Especially since the demons are not confined behind the mirror wall and can freely travel the Megaverse and thus would be possibly known to Shifters.

Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

Ah I see. I hadn't thought of that part as I haven't yet acquired a copy of Dark Conversions.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Marcethus wrote:Ah I see. I hadn't thought of that part as I haven't yet acquired a copy of Dark Conversions.

Well, now your Shifters have even more 'friends' to play with :D

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”