Top-Level Skills and Penalties

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

What will this Juicer's effective prowl skill be?

95%
38%
93%
63%

Total votes: 8

Hotrod
Knight

Top-Level Skills and Penalties

Unread post by Hotrod »

Sorry if this topic is a redux, but I can't seem to find a good answer on this.

You have a Level 12 Juicer with the prowl skill using Juicer Assassin Body Armor. The base prowl skill is 25% +5% per level of experience. He gets +15% to prowl as an O.C.C. bonus, and he gets another 5% from having Acrobatics. At Level 12, this tallies up to 100%. His armor makes him -5% to prowl.

What must he roll at or under to pass his prowl skill check? Should he get 100-5=95%? 98-5=93%?

In other words, can a Juicer ever get so good at prowling that he can prowl in armor with no effective penalty? Can or should this also apply to all skills?
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Re: Top-Level Skills and Penalties

Unread post by Tiree »

There are several instances where skills can go above 100. There are skills that give you bonuses to tackle penalties.

With that, I go with any skill can go over 100, but it effectively has a 98% chance of success no matter what. Anything over 98% is used to tackle penalties. So if you had 130% in a skill, you roll 1d100 and 98 or less your going to pass. But that 99 and 100 you will fail. If you had 130% in a skill and a 30% penalty, you would have an effective skill of 100%, but still it's 98 or less for a success.

I hope that makes sense.
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

I would go with 95% myself.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Officially by the rules your skills cap out at 98% unless you have a special ability that lets you go over this (this is one of the reasons that those classes that have this ability are special, and get this ability called out). Thus RAW his roll would be a 93.
However a very common house rule is to let skills keep on increasing and let the additional points be used to offset penalties. In that case his roll would be a 98.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Fermat
Explorer

Unread post by Fermat »

I go with 93%. There are some specific categories from HU that have skills that go beyond 98% (Hardware and Natural Genius) and the Extraordinary IQ minor power lets one go beyond on a specific pair of skills. Everyone else is stuck at 98% as their max. That's RAW and is consistent throughout the Megaverse, AFAIK.

Personally, I have a few options to allow Physical Training to go above 98% for some of the physical skills like prowl, but that's a personal house rule.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Unless otherwise specifically indicated I treat Skills at topping off at 98%, since even skills that go over 100% when doing checks have to obey that limit as "failure is always an option". Off hand I don't think Prowl is one of those skills with an exception, and I don't recall the Juicer creating an exception for the skill either. So it would be 98% Skill -5% Penalty = 93%.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

By the rules, unless the character has an ability that lets this skill increase past the 98% cap, they would have a 93% to Prowl.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Glistam wrote:By the rules, unless the character has an ability that lets this skill increase past the 98% cap, they would have a 93% to Prowl.

This imho
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Skills only go past 98 in pre-2nd Palladium or if you're a Hardware/Sleuth from Heroes Unlimited 2nd Edition or a Natural/Genius from Powers Unlimited 2.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

eliakon wrote:Officially by the rules your skills cap out at 98% unless you have a special ability that lets you go over this (this is one of the reasons that those classes that have this ability are special, and get this ability called out). Thus RAW his roll would be a 93.
However a very common house rule is to let skills keep on increasing and let the additional points be used to offset penalties. In that case his roll would be a 98.

^^^This is the correct answer.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

House rule.

For skills.
Total all levels and bonuses, then subtract penalties.

Skills over 100% are possible in heroes unlimited but since Rifts its a different animal all together, I say run it.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”