Rifter #25: Psionic: Strength of Mind

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DarkerSavant
D-Bee

Rifter #25: Psionic: Strength of Mind

Unread post by DarkerSavant »

I am curious what you think about this power in regards to Supernatural Strength.

The power states that the psychic can't do MDC damage but can lift and carry the same as a Supernatural creature. I believe the power still allows the player to hit with Supernatural Strength though with S.D.C. only. In Rifts that would be the equivalent of a restrained punch on the Supernatural Strength table. In S.D.C worlds like Palladium Fantasy that would the the Supernatural Strength table as normal.

My GM feels that the power because it states the part about still lift and carry the same as a supernatural creature as well as no MDC damage that means it cannot do supernatural damage period.

I feel that because it does expressly remove only MDC damage it's still capable of dealing SDC damage.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Rifter #25: Psionic: Strength of Mind

Unread post by eliakon »

To start with....first things first. The GM is always right. :P
What ever they want to rule for their game is correct.

That said since lift/carry is explicitly not locked to PS (giant robots, martial artists, and the large number of other things with 'lift *X") It would seem that, the power was intended to just grant you the lift/carry and not any other ability.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
DarkerSavant
D-Bee

Unread post by DarkerSavant »

eliakon wrote:To start with....first things first. The GM is always right. :P

That said since lift/carry is explicitly not locked to PS (giant robots, martial artists, and the large number of other things with 'lift *X") It would seem that, the power was intended to just grant you the lift/carry and not any other ability.

I know GM is always right but his determination will be based off literal translation of the intention of the power. What do you mean by explicitly not locked? Normal, Robot, Supernatural all have their own Carry/Lift stats as well as damage tables.
If the power intended to only provide carry/lift then why didn't it just say that? It would have no need to just exclude one type of damage.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

It's in an article written for the Rifts setting, where adding a +10 to your strength and making it supernatural would result in being able to inflict Mega-Damage. I agree with your G.M.'s interpretation that the intent ot the power is to give the user enhanced lifting and carrying capability.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

DarkerSavant wrote:
eliakon wrote:To start with....first things first. The GM is always right. :P

I know GM is always right but his determination will be based off literal translation of the intention of the power. What do you mean by explicitly not locked? Normal, Robot, Supernatural all have their own Carry/Lift stats as well as damage tables.
If the power intended to only provide carry/lift then why didn't it just say that? It would have no need to just exclude one type of damage.

I mean its not locked because, for instance, if you have robotic PS of X you can lift Y pounds. Unless your a giant robot, in which case you can lift Z pounds.
Or a human with PS of 10 can lift 100 pounds....unless they are, say, a Demon Queller from Rifts Japan. Then they can lift 5,000lbs.
Their punch damages are still the same though.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”