weapon suggestions: flamethrowers and sniper rifles

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

h.s.Panda
D-Bee

weapon suggestions: flamethrowers and sniper rifles

Unread post by h.s.Panda »

So im making a tsunami borg, and I wanted to customize it a bit, adding a breath weapon (flamethrowerish type weapon) and a long range laser weapon

my GM has given me pretty much free reign with this and says I can use any weapon aslong as it makes sense (so no monsteriously large weapon crammed into my forearm (lke a boom gun)) and it doesnt have to be a borg weapon, it can be anormal human weapon midified into a blaster/mouth weapon.

so im wanting some type of flame/plasma thower type weapon so I can give the illusioof breathing fire ive readte game master guide on stats for flamethrowersbut wondered if anybody n
knew of any other similiar type of weapons prefeably one that could work off my internal power supply.

lso im loiking for a sniper type weapon preferbly laser so it can work off my internal power supply. I like the range of the new triax ultra-sniper from book 31 but dislike its fire rate and ecoil the ja-11/ja-9 seem nice too with arange of 4000ft and the ability for 1 or 3 round bursts.
Can anybody suggest any other weapons with longer reach?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: weapon suggestions: flamethrowers and sniper rifles

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

re: flame throwers
-"Flame Cloud" Attack 'Borg found in WB8 (a few pages over from the Tsunami) does have a breath weapon you could 'port over as the two borgs are the same rough size.
-The AT-23 Plasma Thrower is basically a flame thrower (WB8 pg121)
If you are not region limited there are several other flame thrower type weapons:
-Juicer Uprising (WB10) has the WI-FT1 and WI-NFT1
-there is also the generic SDC flame thrower in RMB's weapon section (don't recall off hand if its in RUE's WP description)

"Breath" Attacking PA/Borgs are not very common, and flame throwers themselves aren't very common so the available list is going to be small.
h.s.Panda
D-Bee

ShadowLogan wrote:re: flame throwers
-"Flame Cloud" Attack 'Borg found in WB8 (a few pages over from the Tsunami) does have a breath weapon you could 'port over as the two borgs are the same rough size.
If you are not region limited there are several other flame thrower type weapons:
-there is also the generic SDC flame thrower in RMB's weapon section (don't recall off hand if its in RUE's WP description)

"Breath" Attacking PA/Borgs are not very common, and flame throwers themselves aren't very common so the available list is going to be small.

Ooo! The WI-FT1 looks nice, and it seems like it can run off my internal powersupply since an eclip gives it ammo
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

h.s.Panda wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:re: flame throwers

Ooo! The WI-FT1 looks nice, and it seems like it can run off my internal powersupply since an eclip gives it ammo

One of the best, if not the best, sniper weapon would be the ALT-7 Anti-Tank Laser Rifle from South America 2 p166. Granted it has its draw backs, but it really is one of the few one shot, one kill weapons out there.

Another good Sniper weapon is the NE-75H "Shoulder Cannon" in Dimension Book 3 - Phaseworld Sourcebook. p54.

Of course the biggest problem with trying to do sniping in Rifts, is that the combat system really has some holes when it comes to to the one shot-one kill type situation. So you will need to make sure you have the correct optics and the largest 'Aimed Shot' bonus you can get. And the GM will have to agree to some sort of special rule for doing aimed called shots to head/eyes critical strike regions.
h.s.Panda
D-Bee

It doesnt haveto be 1 shot 1 kill, multi-shots are acceptable if not prefered, I just want something that can reach out and make someone take notice, preferably in a human sized package so I can mount it as an arm blaster (so the shoulder mounted is a bit big)
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

How far do you want to reach out and with what type of attack?
Lasers typically are in the 1600-2000ft range, with some 4000ft range models for personal weapons (some PA have 6000ft reach IIRC)
Mini Missiles can get 5,000ft with the right selection, you won't be able to power it off you internal systems though
Plasma, Particle, Ion typically have less range than lasers, but also hit "harder"
Rail/Auto-cannons typically get 4000ft range

4000ft range weapons include the WI-MG15 (Merc Ops), TX-50/TX-500 Railgun (WB5), JA-9 Laser. If you want more range you'll have to find and adapt a Power Armor (or other mechanized platform) weapon. 3000ft range also has some options.
h.s.Panda
D-Bee

I think I'll go with the ja-12, it's got 4000ft range, is light enough to be modded into a forarm blaster for a borgg, and has single/3 round burst mode so I can do some sniping with it but aso use it as a main assault weapon if I run out of minigun ammo.

being a japanese borg in north america I expect the GM to toss the logistical problems of resupply and repair so having infinite ammo weapons is prefered

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”