Full conversion questions

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

h.s.Panda
D-Bee

Full conversion questions

Unread post by h.s.Panda »

so i'm looking at making a tsunami dragon borg, but had some questions about it that world book 8 doesn't really explain,
UPDATE- NEW QUESTION, PLEASE SEE LAST POST (because mg tablet is stupid )

#1 in the hand to hand combat section for the tsunami it says that its physical strength is based on S.D.C. damage, and implied that this was normal for all borgs? can someone explain why this is, I would think with the enhanced cybernetic strength buffs it would have M.D.C. physical strength? is this just special for this model? I wasn't able to find anything in any of my other books concerning this rule (I have the game masters guide and the ultimate edition), if I over looked it can someone direct me to the page in either of those books if it's present?
also with hand to hand, it has vibro claws on it's hand, wouldn't this do M.D.C. damage not S.D.C.? (or am I reading this wrong? )

#2 given it's size is it possible for a tsunami to use human/normal sized weapons? what about PA sized weapons? it has atleast 1 hand so it makes sense to me anyway that it could pick up a gun and fire it, or a chain sword or something?

#3 enhancements: the book doesn't really give much (none) modifications for the tsunami, but I know creativity is something that is encouraged, is it entirely realistic to take aspects from other borgs (like the various borg parts in the ultimate edition, or even the winged borg's multi-arm feature) and apply it to the tsunami? or is it so insanely specialized that it's incompatible with modifications?

#4 - gliding - it can fly via it's jeckpack, but what about gliding with it's wings, is it able to glide if the pack stops or does it just drop like a rock?
Last edited by h.s.Panda on Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Full conversion questions

Unread post by eliakon »

h.s.Panda wrote:so i'm looking at making a tsunami dragon borg, but had some questions about it that world book 8 doesn't really explain,

Okay I will give this my best shot

h.s.Panda wrote:#1 in the hand to hand combat section for the tsunami it says that its physical strength is based on S.D.C. damage, and implied that this was normal for all borgs? can someone explain why this is, I would think with the enhanced cybernetic strength buffs it would have M.D.C. physical strength? is this just special for this model? I wasn't able to find anything in any of my other books concerning this rule (I have the game masters guide and the ultimate edition), if I over looked it can someone direct me to the page in either of those books if it's present?
also with hand to hand, it has vibro claws on it's hand, wouldn't this do M.D.C. damage not S.D.C.? (or am I reading this wrong? )

The physical strength is just 'enhanced PS' not robotic, or supernatural so the strength of its punches is SDC. Mostly because in RMB when this was written no cyborgs had robotic PS. It would certainly be plausible to redo it with Robotic PS now
on the vibro claws those do damage separate from the punch, just as a normal human with a vibro weapon would do MD with the vibro weapon but SD with their punch.

h.s.Panda wrote:#2 given it's size is it possible for a tsunami to use human/normal sized weapons? what about PA sized weapons? it has atleast 1 hand so it makes sense to me anyway that it could pick up a gun and fire it, or a chain sword or something?

Since it is the same size as a power armor it should be able to pick up and use such

h.s.Panda wrote:#3 enhancements: the book doesn't really give much (none) modifications for the tsunami, but I know creativity is something that is encouraged, is it entirely realistic to take aspects from other borgs (like the various borg parts in the ultimate edition, or even the winged borg's multi-arm feature) and apply it to the tsunami? or is it so insanely specialized that it's incompatible with modifications?

There is no reason that you can't add additional cybernetic/bionic components. This is just the base line version

h.s.Panda wrote:#4 - gliding - it can fly via it's jeckpack, but what about gliding with it's wings, is it able to glide if the pack stops or does it just drop like a rock?

The wings are no where near large enough to support its weight, they are mainly for cosmetic purposes, so yes if the pack stops it is going to glide about as well as a brick.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

h.s.Panda wrote:so i'm looking at making a tsunami dragon borg, but had some questions about it that world book 8 doesn't really explain,

#1 in the hand to hand combat section for the tsunami it says that its physical strength is based on S.D.C. damage, and implied that this was normal for all borgs? can someone explain why this is, I would think with the enhanced cybernetic strength buffs it would have M.D.C. physical strength? is this just special for this model? I wasn't able to find anything in any of my other books concerning this rule (I have the game masters guide and the ultimate edition), if I over looked it can someone direct me to the page in either of those books if it's present?

* In the origional Rifts Main Book, cyborgs did not get Robotic PS. For that matter, Augmented PS didn't exist yet. a Borg with a PS of 40 was no stronger than a regular person who somehow got a PS of 40 (I think may be possible, but exceedingly unlikely).
* Later on, in SB1 or CB1, those with Enhanced strength of 35 or more, such as juciers or cyborgs, gained the ability to do a tiny amount of MD barehanded--on a power punch.
* Warlords of Russia introduced the idea of cyborgs with full robotic PS--but only if they had a special, expensive, heavy frame that was very bulky, and it was exclusive to them.
* Augmented Strength was first introduced in Rifts Game Masters Guide, and gave Cyborgs who are not from russia with really high PS a path to minor Megadamage unarmed.
* Finnally, Rifts Ultimate Edition just gave all full conversion cyborgs designed for combat full Robotic PS, for free.

However, while that introduced a new rule, there were still dozens of cyborg models, such as the Japanese dragon-borgs and triax striker-series of cyborgs who are still printed with no special PS, because the concept of that wasn't introduced yet.

or to summarize: RUE retconned how cyborgs work, and you should just give them robotic PS instead of regular PS :)
also, if you have a vibro claw and are using it, you do that M.D. of course. you would only *under the old rules) do SDC if you, for some reason, decided not to turn the vibro-function on.

#2 given it's size is it possible for a tsunami to use human/normal sized weapons? what about PA sized weapons? it has atleast 1 hand so it makes sense to me anyway that it could pick up a gun and fire it, or a chain sword or something?

1. if it dosn't say specifically they cannot, by default it means they can.
2. to further support the first, they carry a concealed laser rod and dagger in their secret compartments, weapons that would be useless if they could not use regular human weapons.

as a result, I can only conclude they can use regular or PA weapons without any problems.

#3 enhancements: the book doesn't really give much (none) modifications for the tsunami, but I know creativity is something that is encouraged, is it entirely realistic to take aspects from other borgs (like the various borg parts in the ultimate edition, or even the winged borg's multi-arm feature) and apply it to the tsunami? or is it so insanely specialized that it's incompatible with modifications?

it's because the design is so inhuman and unique it's impossible to use any off-the-shelf components from any other borg and stick them on. you would have to custom-order each one at grevious expense sinse they would have to invent how to intergrate it. this would be extra-special hard if you are not playing in japan, where any cyber-doc you find would be stuck with alien/golden age technology penalties of -20% or -30% to actually design or install anything successfully.

In short, creativity is encouraged, but some things are harder than others. I wouldn't say it's impossible, but it would say it wouldn't be too easy.

#4 - gliding - it can fly via it's jeckpack, but what about gliding with it's wings, is it able to glide if the pack stops or does it just drop like a rock?

Drops like a rock. it is not areodynamic and it's wings are purely for show.
Last edited by Nekira Sudacne on Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
h.s.Panda
D-Bee

Ok, th for answers, I know wings are for steering/stability in flight (penalties are applied to flight control when wing is destroye) but wasnt sure if they were strong enough to glide with

As for the customization of limbs I'll consult my GM to see if he'll allow different parts or not, it seems like switching out the vibro-axe for say a power drill shouldnt be THAT foriegn, though replacing the internal mechanics or changing the structure might be more difficult (like adding extra limbs )
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

h.s.Panda wrote:Ok, th for answers, I know wings are for steering/stability in flight (penalties are applied to flight control when wing is destroye) but wasnt sure if they were strong enough to glide with

As for the customization of limbs I'll consult my GM to see if he'll allow different parts or not, it seems like switching out the vibro-axe for say a power drill shouldnt be THAT foriegn, though replacing the internal mechanics or changing the structure might be more difficult (like adding extra limbs )

I agree that some things would be easier than others, that's why the GM can vary the penalties.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
h.s.Panda
D-Bee

how does the PB and PE for full conversions work? the description says I roll iq, me and ma as normbal but the other stats are bought, but it doesn't explain how to purchase PB or PE skills, only speed, pp and PS.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

h.s.Panda wrote:how does the PB and PE for full conversions work? the description says I roll iq, me and ma as normbal but the other stats are bought, but it doesn't explain how to purchase PB or PE skills, only speed, pp and PS.

PE no longer applies due to the full conversion process. The Bionics replace most of your organs and other body parts, so PE doesn't apply. I suppose you could roll PE as normal to have HP for the brain and any other soft-fleshy bits

PB that would be determined by the frame. I don't think cyborgs really have a PB, nor do most robots and power armor. Assume an "average" PB then unless something is listed. I suppose you could roll PB as normal for any remaining organic parts (like a face) that are traditionally viewed in the looks context.
h.s.Panda
D-Bee

ShadowLogan wrote:
h.s.Panda wrote:how does the PB and PE for full conversions work? the description says I roll iq, me and ma as normbal but the other stats are bought, but it doesn't explain how to purchase PB or PE skills, only speed, pp and PS.

PE no longer applies due to the full conversion process. The Bionics replace most of your organs and other body parts, so PE doesn't apply. I suppose you could roll PE as normal to have HP for the brain and any other soft-fleshy bits

PB that would be determined by the frame. I don't think cyborgs really have a PB, nor do most robots and power armor. Assume an "average" PB then unless something is listed. I suppose you could roll PB as normal for any remaining organic parts (like a face) that are traditionally viewed in the looks context.

The bionic source book gives subtractions to PB when you convert from another ooc, but doesnt say what to use if you start as one, oh well, ill just leave it blank til needed and roll it then or discuss wit DM

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”