Jumping

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Jumping

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I have forgotten where the rules for jumping are for normal, human characters. Scouring RUE and the FAQ proved useless, but I'm also pretty tired. Any :? ?
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Re: Jumping

Unread post by say652 »

3 across 1 up.
Both advance 1 foot a level 2 if you have acrobatic or gymnastics skills.

House rule.
Extraordinary Strength, superhuman, supernatural. Using heroes unlimited rules.

Take carry drop the two zeroes multiple high jump distance by this. Superhuman would jump twice as high For example.
Take lift, drop the zeroes and multiply distance by this. So supernatural strength jumps five times as far for example.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Alrik Vas wrote:I have forgotten where the rules for jumping are for normal, human characters. Scouring RUE and the FAQ proved useless, but I'm also pretty tired. Any :? ?

Palladium has no offical jumping rules for normal humans, period.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

say652 wrote:3 across 1 up.
Both advance 1 foot a level 2 if you have acrobatic or gymnastics skills.

House rule.
Extraordinary Strength, superhuman, supernatural. Using heroes unlimited rules.

Take carry drop the two zeroes multiple high jump distance by this. Superhuman would jump twice as high For example.
Take lift, drop the zeroes and multiply distance by this. So supernatural strength jumps five times as far for example.

Acrobatics and Gymnastics only add to jumping distance in Heroes Unlimited and Ninja's and Superspys, the question was about Rifts.

Though, I'm not sure WHY it is only those two games...
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Page 44.
Rifts main book.
Js.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

RMB page 44 is the end of the robot combat example and the begining of the Robot & PA combat training tables.

page 44 of RUE is a picture of a combat borg.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

I didn't find it when I looked a couple years ago, so I adapted the Power Leaping rules from the Heroes Unlimited GMG (p.56) and use the following:
Leaping: A full speed running start (one action) allows a normal character to leap one half foot for every point of P.S. long/across and half that vertically, reduced by 40% for a standing start. Characters with robotic strength double this value and characters with supernatural strength triple it, unless otherwise indicated in the RCC or OCC of the character.

The actual Power Leap consumes four actions, which didn't suit the action economy I use.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Left side of the page at the bottom. We all know its the chart for jumping. Stop playing. Lol
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

say652 wrote:Left side of the page at the bottom. We all know its the chart for jumping. Stop playing. Lol

Page 44 of RUE is a full page illustration of combat cyborgs. The left side at the bottom of page 44 in the RMB is an illustration of a SAMAS unit. You may have a different printing, which features the table that you describe, but it is evidently not universally present.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. I'm on my phone so quoting will be a problem, but this link should help.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=79337&p=1574325&hilit=Jumping#p1574325
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Bill wrote:
say652 wrote:Left side of the page at the bottom. We all know its the chart for jumping. Stop playing. Lol

Page 44 of RUE is a full page illustration of combat cyborgs. The left side at the bottom of page 44 in the RMB is an illustration of a SAMAS unit. You may have a different printing, which features the table that you describe, but it is evidently not universally present.

Rmb. This was a rehash of an ancient topic. Also Alrik my intel is legit.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Say, you got 12th printing or newer for RMB. :P

Thanks for the help, folks.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

So the question is for now is, did the jumping text make it into RUE for rifts & where the texts are in the other settings.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:So the question is for now is, did the jumping text make it into RUE.

I haven't seen it. I looked carefully too. It wouldn't be the first time I'd missed something buried in an unexpected place though.
Alrik Vas
Knight

Looks like most of the text for jumping is in HU, according to the FAQ. I missed it in RUE as well, like I said.

I think the 1/2 PS in feet across, half for vertical, with -40% from a standstill is pretty fair.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

For nonpowered individuals I use the rmb chart.
Several supers powers also assist in jumping.

Juicer uprising Rocket Boots.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

These were the rules I distilled and put into my G.M. screen from what the F.A.Q. said the Rifts Main Book said, and the Heroes Unlimited Game Master's Guide said:

JUMPING:
A normal untrained human can leap 5 feet across and 4 feet high.
If they have Acrobatics and/or Gymnastics then add 2 feet per
level to that number (total, not per skill).

With a running start and supreme effort (using up 4 attacks), a
character can jump horizontally as follows:
Normal/Strong P.S.: 0.3 ft per point in P.S., or 3 ft per 10 P.S.
Extraordinary P.S.: 0.6 ft per point in P.S., or 6 ft per 10 P.S.
Superhuman P.S.: 1.2 ft per point in P.S., or 12 ft per 10 P.S.
Supernatural P.S.: 3.6 ft per point in P.S., or 36 ft per 10 P.S.

Leaping vertically can be done to a height equal to half the
distance of horizontal leaps - except for Supernatural P.S.. A
Supernaturally strong character can leap vertically 2.4 ft per
point in P.S., or 24 ft per 10 P.S.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Glistam wrote:These were the rules I distilled and put into my G.M. screen from what the F.A.Q. said the Rifts Main Book said, and the Heroes Unlimited Game Master's Guide said:

JUMPING:
A normal untrained human can leap 5 feet across and 4 feet high.
If they have Acrobatics and/or Gymnastics then add 2 feet per
level to that number (total, not per skill).

With a running start and supreme effort (using up 4 attacks), a
character can jump horizontally as follows:
Normal/Strong P.S.: 0.3 ft per point in P.S., or 3 ft per 10 P.S.
Extraordinary P.S.: 0.6 ft per point in P.S., or 6 ft per 10 P.S.
Superhuman P.S.: 1.2 ft per point in P.S., or 12 ft per 10 P.S.
Supernatural P.S.: 3.6 ft per point in P.S., or 36 ft per 10 P.S.

Leaping vertically can be done to a height equal to half the
distance of horizontal leaps - except for Supernatural P.S.. A
Supernaturally strong character can leap vertically 2.4 ft per
point in P.S., or 24 ft per 10 P.S.

Because of personal experience I would mentally replace human with hero, to mean player chars and 'hero class' villains.

I can see normal humans jumping 4' down but not 4' up (more like 2' up).
Obstacles of more then 2.5' most people will stop and climb up that obstacle cause they can't jut jump up that high.
They would also have to be 'physically fit' humans.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I was trying to minimize the house rules in my screen, though I did manage to slip in a couple anyway.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Alrik Vas
Knight

Man, Hulk jumps just for having SN PS? Seems strong.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

say652 wrote:
Bill wrote:

I've looked page 44 of RMB over and over but I can't find a jumping chart. which printing of RMB do you have?

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
say652 wrote:
Bill wrote:

I've looked page 44 of RMB over and over but I can't find a jumping chart. which printing of RMB do you have?

Prysus wrote:
Greetings and Salutations. I'm on my phone so quoting will be a problem, but this link should help.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=79337&p=1574325&hilit=Jumping#p1574325

UPDATE: According to Tinker Dragoon, the Rifts version of the Jumping Rules can be found in RMB, 12th printing or later, on page 44, bottom left corner (evidently prior to that printing, it's a picture of a SAMAS).
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

I came up with these rules several years ago, and posted them, if interested.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=132122
Oderint Dum Metuant.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”