TW NB & talents

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

TW NB & talents

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

If there was a Nightbane Techno Wizard...do you think they would be able to make their TW magic items with what NB Talents that they have? that helping NB have?

Note: we are leaving out of this discussion any arguments about whether NB 'can' or 'can not' take magic char templates other then the NB mage template found in the NB:MB.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: TW NB & talents

Unread post by Glistam »

No, Nightbane Talents are not magic.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

No. The TW stuff is pretty clear that only spells can be placed in TW. Talents are not spells. Just as a TW can not make a TW device with a warlocks "summon elemental" or a priests "perform a miracle" or a dragons "Dimensional Teleport".
A GM could make a personal home brew something to allow talents to be put in devices of course, but it would have to be totally a house thing since there is nothing in the canon that would allow anything like this.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:If there was a Nightbane Techno Wizard...do you think they would be able to make their TW magic items with what NB Talents that they have? that helping NB have?

Note: we are leaving out of this discussion any arguments about whether NB 'can' or 'can not' take magic char templates other then the NB mage template found in the NB:MB.

Nightbane talents are not magical in nature, so I would have to give a no to that.

I would probablly allow a Nightbane to USE techno wizardy or even learn to be a techno-wizard, but they could only put regular spells in it.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

That is what I was thinking too....but in that other active topic about Nb the Talk about shadow blast and Gaurdien's light bolts.....and went 'hummmm...in a magic rift????'

so a shadow blast rifle would have to work off the shadow blast spell from library of Bethariad and a light bolt pistol would be off of sunbeam spell from R10.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:If there was a Nightbane Techno Wizard...do you think they would be able to make their TW magic items with what NB Talents that they have? that helping NB have?

It has been quite some time since I actually looked at my friend's copy of Nightbane (main RPG only). So I can not answer the question directly in terms of opinions, but if you are looking at the concept...

I think you could have a Nightbane TW set up to work that way at the GM's discretion as just another Technowizard relative as we do have:
-the Gizmoteer in Rifts SA2 that is basically a TW, but who uses Psychic powers instead. Rifts Psycape also mentions something similar, though IIRC it is unclear if it is the same as SA2 or related as it doesn't get explored much in this book.
-the EcoWizard in Rifts DinoSwamp that is basically a TW, only instead of using inorganic matter in the construction they use organic substitutes

Alternatively you could simply have it that the talent(s) require an appropriate focus to use. We do see something similar in magic spell/rituals in some cases (ex: talisman, fly, fool's gold, etc), or model it after the spell casting for a TW.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

ShadowLogan wrote:

It has been quite some time since I actually looked at my friend's copy of Nightbane (main RPG only). So I can not answer the question directly in terms of opinions, but if you are looking at the concept...

I think you could have a Nightbane TW set up to work that way at the GM's discretion as just another Technowizard relative as we do have:
-the Gizmoteer in Rifts SA2 that is basically a TW, but who uses Psychic powers instead. Rifts Psycape also mentions something similar, though IIRC it is unclear if it is the same as SA2 or related as it doesn't get explored much in this book.
-the EcoWizard in Rifts DinoSwamp that is basically a TW, only instead of using inorganic matter in the construction they use organic substitutes

Alternatively you could simply have it that the talent(s) require an appropriate focus to use. We do see something similar in magic spell/rituals in some cases (ex: talisman, fly, fool's gold, etc), or model it after the spell casting for a TW.

The problem with the Gizmoteer RCC is that it is a ASM RCC and Not Available to other races. AND the NB/NS are not psychic & CanNot be psychic, so suggesting a psychic class is a moot point.

EW...a differnt flavored TW same restrictions far as I can tell.

The question was if a talent effect could be put into a TW magic item.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

I think you misunderstood my point about the Gizmoteer drewkitty. The class is basically a variation on the Techno-Wizard theme, which is basically what you are asking about: variations on the techno-wizard theme as far as "source". While it is an RCC, it does set precedent for a TW-themed class to use another "source" other than spell magic (and we do have a TW RCC in the form of the Farie Bot). So a Nightbane "TW-theme" with another source does have some precedent.

Heroes Unlimited Powers Unlimited series (#2 to be specific, the Super Invention) is another Techno-wizard theme variant that uses Super Powers instead of Magic. This class's source might be closer to Nightbane Talents (IIRC) and the Rifts TW or Gizmoteer depending on how you look at them.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:

The problem with the Gizmoteer RCC is that it is a ASM RCC and Not Available to other races. AND the NB/NS are not psychic & CanNot be psychic, so suggesting a psychic class is a moot point.

EW...a differnt flavored TW same restrictions far as I can tell.

The question was if a talent effect could be put into a TW magic item.

Aren't you doing exactly what you said you didn't want to do in your first post, by arguing whether or not the Nightbane could even take a certain class? It seems ShadowLogan offered the answer "No, but a TW variant could possibly be created that could do it." He then provided examples of other TW variants in order to illustrate the idea. Seems like a valid response to me.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Maybe if there's a talent or spell that lets someone borrow/steal a 'bane's talent.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Yes a unique homebrew class could be made that could do this. Either as a full class or just the devices could be provided. Sure this is within the realm of possibility, and even has some level of precedent in the games for being plausible. But it would be just that, a homebrew class. *shrugs* as it is, there is nothing in the rules that would allow for a device to contain a Nightbane talent.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Okay I missed the point. But basically agrees that it would need to be a whole new NB TW class that allows the NB to include their talents, not just a NB who it is a TW.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Nightbane talents are not magical in nature, so I would have to give a no to that.

Some are, since we are told there are Magic Talents and some have saves vs magic.

Course that's not enough, a Mystic Knight's powers are magical in nature but they aren't spelsl so can't be duplicated by a TW device.

Then again, I'd let TTGD have new spells made based on talents/powers be they psionic or magic.

In case anyone is wondering about TWs and how they get psi and how banes don't, there are some no-psi D-Bees and gods out there who are TWs.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”