Level Advancement in ATB

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

psam_rage
Explorer
Comment: I like to go off on tangents! It gives people a better Idea of what I envision so we can be on the same footing.

Level Advancement in ATB

Unread post by psam_rage »

So our normal GM is stepping back up to alternate with our current GM while he figures out how to nerf my Titan w/o breaking what I've already done. (At will Invisibility: Superior is OP, who knew. :D )

So we spent yesterday rolling up ATB characters (A first for me as I have a pathological hatred of furries), anyway Im most of the way done w/ my Lightwielder (R46) just need to level them to 3rd, and I noticed that there is almost no advancement in ATB.

HP, Skills, Some Natural abilities, and individual psionic powers all scale up but that is it.

No additional Bio-E, no new skills, no new powers nothing. Is that right or am I missing something?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Level Advancement in ATB

Unread post by eliakon »

psam_rage wrote:So our normal GM is stepping back up to alternate with our current GM while he figures out how to nerf my Titan w/o breaking what I've already done. (At will Invisibility: Superior is OP, who knew. :D )

So we spent yesterday rolling up ATB characters (A first for me as I have a pathological hatred of furries), anyway Im most of the way done w/ my Lightwielder (R46) just need to level them to 3rd, and I noticed that there is almost no advancement in ATB.

HP, Skills, Some Natural abilities, and individual psionic powers all scale up but that is it.

No additional Bio-E, no new skills, no new powers nothing. Is that right or am I missing something?

Correct. ATB is very heavily front loaded. Education system there gives you a lot (or not) of skills all at once, and then your done. Powers/Bio-E don't change since those are basically what your born with.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Don't consider them furries. Think of them more like Were-critters that are unable to shift to a human form. Were-critters are bad@$$. Hope that helps you enjoy an awesome game.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
psam_rage
Explorer
Comment: I like to go off on tangents! It gives people a better Idea of what I envision so we can be on the same footing.

Ah, that's why my character feels so flat compared to the others...
My limited bio-e is because I look human and start at size 10
and I have ~30 less skill than the T-rex because as a Freed Slave I get 14 skills (plus JOAT bonus pulled from Dead Reign) to his 41... (or the Racoons 36 (+JOAT), and as a mechanic he gets a HUGE vehicle design cash pool)

Apprenticeship == God Tier
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Yep....no new skill, powers or Bio-E.

Though a GM could let you RP learning a new skill.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
psam_rage
Explorer

On an unrelated note, Human mutant has no price listed for "other" minor powers. Major powers yes, minor no. (This makes the emperor even MORE illegal)
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Given that HU2E probably uses the same rules as ATB for creating mutant animals. No.

BIO-E and Powers (gained by spending BIO-E) aren't gained, I suppose plot point could provide additional BIO-E later. But "normal" BIO-E is regarded as all used up at creation.

Skills. That doesn't seem right, but was a staple in at least one of Palladium's earlier RPGs w/re to level advancement and new skills (1E RT had that in several books, and in one book addressed advancement with classes in an earlier book). Subject to GM approval you could import the rules for acquiring new secondary skills from HU2E (pg48) that grant new skills at later level that apply to all characters in HU2E.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

TMNT, HU, HU2, ATB, ATB2, and MiO all use the bio-E format for 'mutant animals'.
The Psi-X Aliens mutants from rifts lonestar generlly follow the Bio-E format effects for mutant humans.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”