Starship Crew Numbers

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Starship Crew Numbers

Unread post by The Beast »

When Palladium lists the crew numbers for the various large ships throughout the Megaverse, are the crew numbers just for that ship, or would it include any smaller ships accompanying the larger one, or does it vary between different ships/species?

Main reason I'm asking is I know the Robotech books list the crew needed for the ship, and then additional personnel. I'm just a little uncertain on the numbers in the Mechanoid Invasion Trilogy book.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Starship Crew Numbers

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I would say they are what they are until they get revised.
The best text for determining minimum crew size needed is the AU:GG Ship Const. rules. You'd have to deconstruct the ships in M.I.T. to get a guess'tement on the minimum needed crew size.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
psam_rage
Explorer
Comment: I like to go off on tangents! It gives people a better Idea of what I envision so we can be on the same footing.

Unread post by psam_rage »

Pretty much as drewkitty said.
Unless a ship gives specifics (Such as the ones in Shadow Chronicles Macross Source book)
Assume crew means JUST crew.

That being said-
The Mothership list its entire crew but doesn't say what is dedicated crew and what is assault forces
The ships on page 171-176 say their crew. Usually standard (#3 of starships on page 170)
Subtract that crew figure from occupancy to find remaining extra crew/assault troops or fighter pilots/support personel.

Hint on those 171-176 ships the Crew totals (not occupancy) shows number of position to be filled, I would advised tripling that to get a trio of 8 hour shifts. (Also adds a layer of redundancy in case of battlefield casualties.)
wodens_blade
D-Bee

Unread post by wodens_blade »

i have always assumed that the pilots would be an assigned part of the crew members, as they will need pilots to use the smaller ship compliments. as a side note; I used to divide the crew number by 1/3 to show exactly how many crew members were needed per shift on a 24 hour day (8 hour shift) that way you kind of understand the number of people needed for basic ship operations.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

The Beast wrote:When Palladium lists the crew numbers for the various large ships throughout the Megaverse, are the crew numbers just for that ship, or would it include any smaller ships accompanying the larger one, or does it vary between different ships/species?

Main reason I'm asking is I know the Robotech books list the crew needed for the ship, and then additional personnel. I'm just a little uncertain on the numbers in the Mechanoid Invasion Trilogy book.

I think it would be for the entire ship only. Any ships it carries normally internally/docked (like shuttles and fighters) would be included I would think. Any ship any other ship in a flotilla with it would not be counted as part of the crew, even if they could dock.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Even going smaller than starships, even just for land-bound APCs I have always seen crew listed distinctively from the pilots or troops it carries.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”