Transportation for Titans and other large characters

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

psam_rage
Explorer
Comment: I like to go off on tangents! It gives people a better Idea of what I envision so we can be on the same footing.

Transportation for Titans and other large characters

Unread post by psam_rage »

Another game, another character.
This time I've got a lvl 3 Titan Weapon Mage (Rifter 10) and I've found a snag.
My gm is letting each player have 2 special items to show that they aren't first level newbies.
I've use my first item to deal w/ buildings and normal sized equipment through an Eco-wizard Metamorphisis:Human Talisman.
Thats 30 ppe/hour for human size.

For my second item I'm trying to find any vehicle or mount capable of handling a 13' tall Titaness and her assorted gear.

So far the best I've found is a Tri-Tops as they are the only giant animal (In North America) I've found that is commonly domesticated by normal humans, and not restricted to Simvan/Psi-stalkers.

(For the record the rest of the party is currently capped at 60 mph due to the Forager slowing down the Mobile Gun and what we are guessing will be a Chinook.)
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Re: Transportation for Titans and other large characters

Unread post by say652 »

Don't hoverbikes accommodate full conversion borgs??
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

A open top B.Explorer.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

15 feet and I'm guessing 700 lbs is big but not massive. Any vehicle a full conversion borg can use I would house rule so can you.
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

say652 wrote:15 feet and I'm guessing 700 lbs is big but not massive. Any vehicle a full conversion borg can use I would house rule so can you.

I don't know about that. At 15 feet tall, you would be 250% larger than an ordinary human. That would be like a 6' tall man riding a tricycle made for a 2-yo. While he may be able to squeeze himself onto it, and it might even take his weight, tricky maneuvers or even regular turns/stops would probably cause him to fall off. Not to mention that hover-bikes have switches, buttons pedals and other controls that would be difficult/impossible to operate with giant-sized fingers, hands and feet. No sir, I don't like it.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Then take any hoverbike double the size increase mdc by 50% and blammo a hot custom chopper for the lady titan.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

filo_clarke wrote:
say652 wrote:15 feet and I'm guessing 700 lbs is big but not massive. Any vehicle a full conversion borg can use I would house rule so can you.

I don't know about that. At 15 feet tall, you would be 250% larger than an ordinary human. That would be like a 6' tall man riding a tricycle made for a 2-yo. While he may be able to squeeze himself onto it, and it might even take his weight, tricky maneuvers or even regular turns/stops would probably cause him to fall off. Not to mention that hover-bikes have switches, buttons pedals and other controls that would be difficult/impossible to operate with giant-sized fingers, hands and feet. No sir, I don't like it.

Okay so they need the clowning skill from PF.... :lol

For seriousness one of our games involved a similar issue. The GM let the player in question have a Glittermount......that was a Fury Beetle instead of a horse.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
psam_rage
Explorer
Comment: I like to go off on tangents! It gives people a better Idea of what I envision so we can be on the same footing.

Update: Under GM advisement it seems like I'll be relying on the ever-popular and oft forgotten living semi-truck: The Fury Beetle, with a howdah anchored to its back spikes. (Points to eliakon on theFury Beetle Glittermount but seeing as he shot down a glittermount during the character's first draft, when she was just rather normal human man named Jebidiah, it didn't fly.)

We also learned that a Tri-tops is more appropriate in scale to be ridden by someone about 8' +/-2' tall but not 12'-18' as they are only ~6' tall at the shoulders. So I could ride one, but it would be like a grackle-tooth riding a pony.

P.S.
For the record: the solution we found for temporarily shrinking Titans or other Giants to human size (Since the only shink spell in palladium is Reduce Self...) is a TW device using Metamorphosis: Human as the primary spell, augmented with Reduce: Self to shrink their gear.
Note the 30ppe/hour I mentioned in the first post involved shoving an extra .3 grams (1.5 Karats) of Alexandrite into the object.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I have a question now.

My character is only 5'9" but weighs 575lbs. He's dense. Would chairs and other things break from his weight??
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

say652 wrote:I have a question now.

My character is only 5'9" but weighs 575lbs. He's dense. Would chairs and other things break from his weight??

Almost 600 lbs? He may have to be careful how he walks through normal buildings, as his feet might crack the flooring between the joists, or warp a staircase. Read up on some of the problems that truly obese people suffer from, like being not able to ride in normal cars without bottoming out the suspension on one side.

Yes, normal chairs would almost certainly buckle under that weight, as would bed frames. Playing such a character would take a lot of strange considerations.
psam_rage
Explorer

Yeah you would probably need to use Furniture and vehicles designed for a full conversion borg. Considering you weigh about as much as three men.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

We also learned that a Tri-tops is more appropriate in scale to be ridden by someone about 8' +/-2' tall but not 12'-18' as they are only ~6' tall at the shoulders. So I could ride one, but it would be like a grackle-tooth riding a pony.

Or a certain muscle bound hero from the 80s who rides a tiger (and his nemesis a panther).

For my second item I'm trying to find any vehicle or mount capable of handling a 13' tall Titaness and her assorted gear.

Hover/flight platforms (might have to be custom built), Atlantis uses vehicles like this to transport Kyrdians (giants) in WB21

Vehicles intended for FCB might be an option as previously mentioned. This would include Jet Packs.

TW/Magic using "Giant" to enlarge a normal sized riding mount (Merc Ops has a TW PA Suit that enlarges with the wearer, so in principle...). Time Duration is a factor here along with PPE cost.

A Golem might be able to carry you (either in its arms, with a harness, or shaped to have seating and unusual shape). Could probably outfit it to for increased abilities.

Robot RCC from SB1 custom built (will have to use a few tweaks like going with a drone AI, size for 'bot using the "giant humanoid" as reference, etc).

If not opposed to being a passenger along for the ride, the Titan could ride in the back of a vehicle (APC, Truck) in the cargo bed (opened?). Leave the Driving to another character (PC or NPC). Or even have it rigged up for remote control of said type of ride (controls will have to be sized appropriately). Basically a full-size vehicle for a regular person would look more like a go-cart for the giant.

A Full Conversion Bionic animal. That way the size can be increased. Might also be able to use an animal shaped bot or PA (Kittani have several, SA2 has another 2, CS has Spider Walkers, NG/BM has the spider bot, Japan has a crab, etc) with a simple drone AI or remote control setup (or a PC/NPC inside) or even brain transference (of animal essentially making them a borg) from WB5 (a similar option also exists in Robot RCC, just substitute animal intelligence for human intelligence being transferred).
psam_rage
Explorer

ShadowLogan wrote:TW/Magic using "Giant" to enlarge a normal sized riding mount (Merc Ops has a TW PA Suit that enlarges with the wearer, so in principle...). Time Duration is a factor here along with PPE cost.

It would be more economically for me to stay shrunk.

ShadowLogan wrote:If not opposed to being a passenger along for the ride, the Titan could ride in the back of a vehicle (APC, Truck) in the cargo bed (opened?). Leave the Driving to another character (PC or NPC). Or even have it rigged up for remote control of said type of ride (controls will have to be sized appropriately). Basically a full-size vehicle for a regular person would look more like a go-cart for the giant.

I seriously debated this, If I could fit I would totally wait in the Chinook (Except I'm to big) then dive & Transform when combat is joined... I'm looking for vehicles because I may be the fastest party member when I activate my swords transformation, but I cant carry a Titan scale duffel bag easily with Mega-Wings. >.<
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

psam_rage wrote:I've got a lvl 3 Titan Weapon Mage (Rifter 10)

MercTown page 70 has one named Garzon who is a Battle Magus.

Is company to another Battle Magus from the City of Brass (I assume ex-Dweomer)

Right after Zo'wor the D'norr Devilman Techno-Wizard on 65 (perhaps he is non-psychic?) and before the Demi-God High Magus on 121.

*guess The Three overcame the anti-MDC prejudice of their OCCs*
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
psam_rage
Explorer

Tor wrote:
psam_rage wrote:I've got a lvl 3 Titan Weapon Mage (Rifter 10)

MercTown page 70 has one named Garzon who is a Battle Magus.

Is company to another Battle Magus from the City of Brass (I assume ex-Dweomer)

Right after Zo'wor the D'norr Devilman Techno-Wizard on 65 (perhaps he is non-psychic?) and before the Demi-God High Magus on 121.

*guess The Three overcame the anti-MDC prejudice of their OCCs*

0.o Wot? I was referring to the class Weapon Mage, which GIVES YOU a HU Enchanted Weapon.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I use a targeted jump to land in the center mass of the enemies or if very far Electric Flight, both explosive entrances and a charm/impress roll can be made.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

psam_rage wrote:It would be more economically for me to stay shrunk.

Possibly. It really comes down to the spells chosen and such for a TW item and the gem availability and quality put into said device. PPE cost/time in the PA in question was pretty short and more expensive than your option, but that doesn't mean there aren't other ways to achieve the same effect for better duration and cheaper cost.

I haven't looked into making a Shrink/Growth harness specifically. And you can trade various factors potency (duration, effects, etc) around (RUE TW rules use the example of sticky tires, reduce the strength of the carpet of adhesion for increased duration).

psam_rage wrote:I seriously debated this, If I could fit I would totally wait in the Chinook (Except I'm to big) then dive & Transform when combat is joined... I'm looking for vehicles because I may be the fastest party member when I activate my swords transformation, but I cant carry a Titan scale duffel bag easily with Mega-Wings. >.<

Actually I do think the character would be to big to use a CH-47 Chinook if they are a passenger:
1st. It may not feel dignified, but said character could ride around inside it on their back as if they where in an ambulance (will need a gurney to slide in/out). The down side is you would drastically cut into the internal carrying volume. A CH-47 is around 50ft long, more than enough room to fit a Titan on their back IMHO. Width wise, the cabin is made to allow two pilots to sit side by side so it would be a tight fit.
2nd. There is no reason the character couldn't ride in a special sling/pod underneath the vehicle, it makes landing more difficult (have to set the pod down first and reposition to finally land) and might reduce maximum speed (drag and such). The CH-47 can lift 16,000lbs carried externally* (that is for the A version, the later versions can all carry more). An Average Titan's upper weight limit is 1,000lbs (could be heavier obviously, but x16 that seems pretty unlikely).

But I was thinking more in terms of ground transportation here. At 13ft, you might want to look into Power Armor Transports (specifically something that can accommodate Glitterboy sized units) or even (giant) Robot Transports. If it can transport a Glitterboy or a giant robot, it can transport a Titan giant.

*http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/h-47-specs.htm
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Was skimming Africa and noticed on page 136, the Phoenix Power Armor (modification of the K-Universal from Atlantis, itself a mass-market Manling) is mentions as accomodating Trolls (10-12 ft per CB1p93) and Gurgoyles (8-12 ft) the suit itself can raneg from 8-15 ft tall. 72 units/month are made in Rama. It's also sold in Splynn, so I assume the Kittani are also making the design.

Not Rahu-Men tier but a good consideration for all the 'bigger than human' D-bees out there.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Whats the max weight for a jetpack??
ShadowLogan
Palladin

say652 wrote:Whats the max weight for a jetpack??

I don't think its ever given. Though there are instances of Cyborg models referenced as using jetpacks, so either they have different sized options available or they are very potent to lift a standardized Japanese Borg (1000lb, fly via Jet pack only but don't list speed unlike others which appear to be built in).
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

ShadowLogan wrote:
say652 wrote:Whats the max weight for a jetpack??

I don't think its ever given. Though there are instances of Cyborg models referenced as using jetpacks, so either they have different sized options available or they are very potent to lift a standardized Japanese Borg (1000lb, fly via Jet pack only but don't list speed unlike others which appear to be built in).

Okay....then we have a data point (1000lb).
So it would not be to far fetched to say "jet packs can move between 250-1000lbs depending on make and model"
If someone was really ambitious I guess they could go through and make a constellation of all the other known data points and try to extrapolate something harder (I picked that as our upper, and then said it could be as low as a quarter that as my WAG lower bound)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I know the contragravity pack can move one ton at an incredibly slow pace. a weight allowance isn't given for jetpacks.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

I'd say use zentradi equipment, but a titan's too short.
h.s.Panda
D-Bee

Unread post by h.s.Panda »

Sorry for necroing, this seemend like a good place to ask this as im looking for something similiar,

im looking for something semi-small that can house 1-2 power armors and 4-5 human sized beings, plus equipent

An APC meets winabego, to operate as a small forward base & R&R stop for my party, myself im a power armor pilot but I wnt something I can use for resting/repair/resupply of my armor and for long distance travel with my party. Guns arent that much of concern (minor self defence weapons are mostly all that is needed) and id prefer flying, but ground or hover based is fine too
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

2 months is fine Panda, rules establish it's now only considering necroing if it hasn't been replied to in 1 year or more.

psam_rage wrote:I'm trying to find any vehicle or mount capable of handling a 13' tall Titaness and her assorted gear.

Vampire Kingdoms 112 has a 12ft tall D-Bee weighing 940 pounds (natural body armor, bulky-looking fellow in his picture) able to pilot a Titan TR-002 exploration and light combat robot.

Normally that vehicle can fit 4 people but he might use up all 4 slots, not sure. Also don't know if he's able to wear his giant-size armor while piloting, perhaps not.

Anywhere I've seen a Titan they look more human-proportioned, less bulky than Mii-Tar in terms of being thick-limbed, so I think even with an extra foot of height you might still manage to squeeze into the TR-002, it might involve some slouching.

Pantheons 109's Titaness Melia is only 600lbs at 12ft for example, and although pretty thick by comparison to the elven Ylliriel on the next page, she's still nowhere near as thick as Mii-Tar. At worst, she might be extra-broad like Herb or like a dwarf, but Mii-Taar looks way thicker than that.

I realize Titans can get up to 1000 pounds but I figured that to be the 14ft ones.

Jet Packs are vehicles, so you should be able to use them. If they can carry borgs (who can be quite heavy) or the 900lb Mii-Taar then your Titaness should be able to fly via jet pack. Mercs 56 also has an 11ft 900lb Tauton who has an attachment on his armor for a Falcon 300 jet pack, strongly implying he's able to use one.

Mercs 73 has a 26-foot tall suit of power armor that is worn by a 20-ft tall Jotan.

Stuff like Wing Boards I don't remember having weight limits.

psam_rage wrote:you would probably need to use Furniture and vehicles designed for a full conversion borg. Considering you weigh about as much as three men.

Is there any indication that furniture even gets designed for full conversion borgs? The purpose of sitting is to rest the legs but I don't think full conversion borgs have to worry about that. I can see them maybe sitting for social reasons to put others at ease, or to emulate human memories, but I'd almost think they'd be capable of sitting standing up. Being MDC, I think they could sleep on a rock and not worry about bed sores and stuff that soft SDC beings have to worry about.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

h.s.Panda wrote:Sorry for necroing, this seemend like a good place to ask this as im looking for something similiar,

im looking for something semi-small that can house 1-2 power armors and 4-5 human sized beings, plus equipent

An APC meets winabego, to operate as a small forward base & R&R stop for my party, myself im a power armor pilot but I wnt something I can use for resting/repair/resupply of my armor and for long distance travel with my party. Guns arent that much of concern (minor self defence weapons are mostly all that is needed) and id prefer flying, but ground or hover based is fine too

I don't think its been long enough to qualify as necoing.

Ground: CS APC (RMB/RUE), Mountaineer ATV (cargo bed should be able to hold 2 PA depending on the size of the suit and you can always customize it by enlarging the bay, found in RMB/RUE), Behemoth Explorer (RMB, SB1r?)

Flight: NG Skybunker Hover Carrier (Merc Ops), C-130 (Merc Ops)

Naruni Wave 2 might have something, the Kittani (WB2) might also have something. CWC and FQ do have flying APCs that might be useful, though might require being a knock-off.
h.s.Panda
D-Bee

ShadowLogan wrote:
h.s.Panda wrote:Sorry for necroing, this seemend like a good place to ask this as im looking for something similiar,

I don't think its been long enough to qualify as necoing.

Ground: CS APC (RMB/RUE), Mountaineer ATV (cargo bed should be able to hold 2 PA depending on the size of the suit and you can always customize it by enlarging the bay, found in RMB/RUE), Behemoth Explorer (RMB, SB1r?)

Flight: NG Skybunker Hover Carrier (Merc Ops), C-130 (Merc Ops)

Naruni Wave 2 might have something, the Kittani (WB2) might also have something. CWC and FQ do have flying APCs that might be useful, though might require being a knock-off.

Sorry but what books are rmb/rue , wb2 and cwc/fq?
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

RMB - Rifts Main Book (the gray one)
RUE - Rifts Ultimate Edition
WB2 - World Book 2 (Atlantis)
CWC - Coalition War Campaign (WB11)
FQ - Free Quebec (WB22)

I always recommend working with your GM to create custom stuff when you're operating outside of the commonly covered parts of the game. The whole thing is made up and it's not as if there's any pretense of balance, so there's no reason to avoid adding to it if it will make the game more fun for you.
h.s.Panda
D-Bee

Bill wrote:RMB - Rifts Main Book (the gray one)
RUE - Rifts Ultimate Edition
WB2 - World Book 2 (Atlantis)
CWC - Coalition War Campaign (WB11)
FQ - Free Quebec (WB22)

I always recommend working with your GM to create custom stuff when you're operating outside of the commonly covered parts of the game. The whole thing is made up and it's not as if there's any pretense of balance, so there's no reason to avoid adding to it if it will make the game more fun for you.

Ah ok! I have the Fq and rue but ill look into the merc ops and wb11 :3

Does japan have APCs? Im thinking of using an ip-40 dai-katana bungei, so having similiar type of transport/backup vehicles would be nice
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

The dai is a great power armor.
h.s.Panda
D-Bee

say652 wrote:The dai is a great power armor.

Would you recommend the dai or the redhawk? Im kinda still leaning towards the dai, but the strafing attacks of the redhawk seem cool.

Im thinking of being an elf too, so the japanese style would seem to be more appealing
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Does japan have APCs? Im thinking of using an ip-40 dai-katana bungei, so having similiar type of transport/backup vehicles would be nice

Unfortunately no Japan doesn't cover any conventional vehicles in detail, just the 'bots and PA. IIRC though text does indicate they use conventional vehicles, they just haven't been detailed yet.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

depends on how sturdy the construction is. You wouldn't want to sit in cheep stuff and would probablly have to custom order things.

On the other hand, full conversion cyborgs don't get tired, so technically, you would never NEED to sit down either.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
h.s.Panda
D-Bee

Nekira Sudacne wrote:On the other hand, full conversion cyborgs don't get tired, so technically, you would never NEED to sit down either.

Im curious, what about mental exhaustion?
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

h.s.Panda wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:On the other hand, full conversion cyborgs don't get tired, so technically, you would never NEED to sit down either.

I have always thought of Cyborgs and heavy armored suits (Gboys and their like) using vehicles for weapon and ammo transport. There no store on the corner to pick-up extra supplies.
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

h.s.Panda wrote:

They still need sleep, but only a few hours. I meant PHYSICALLY tired :lol:
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
h.s.Panda
D-Bee

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
h.s.Panda wrote:

I know you ment physically tired, but i'm just curious about sleep and how the effects of sleep deprevation would affect a full-borg, if they go too long without sleep do they just collapse? do they suffer hallucinations like an insomniac? also would they sleep standing up or lieing down? I would think they would want to sit/lie down/other human interationy stuff none-borgs take for granted as a means to maintain their humanity?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

h.s.Panda wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
h.s.Panda wrote:

I know you ment physically tired, but i'm just curious about sleep and how the effects of sleep deprevation would affect a full-borg, if they go too long without sleep do they just collapse? do they suffer hallucinations like an insomniac? also would they sleep standing up or lieing down? I would think they would want to sit/lie down/other human interationy stuff none-borgs take for granted as a means to maintain their humanity?

They surffer the same psycological issues as any other person, they just only need 3 hours a night.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”