cosmo knight vs carpet of sticky spell..

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

cosmo knight vs carpet of sticky spell..

Unread post by VR Dragon »

So I wanted to post a question to the boards...

Situation.... a Cosmo Knight is battling a spell caster who manages to catch the Knight's feet to the ground holding him fast.

Now the question... If the Cosmo Knight uses his cosmic blast at the ground at his feet... free himself and is now able to fly away with bits of the ground stuck to his feet

or is he still stuck to the surface even though there is no surface?

Only one of these makes sense.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Re: cosmo knight vs carpet of sticky spell..

Unread post by say652 »

Unfortunately until the spell ends its the spot for you. Lame but thats how it works.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The CoA, adheres those caught in it to a location, not to the material. Additionally all the CoA text is written such that the CoA has to be cast on the surface of something physical.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I tried everything I could think of as well. Would Teleport free you from the CoA??
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Teleporting (& D-T-porting) does free the char from a CoA.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Teleporting (& D-T-porting) does free the char from a CoA.

Source? I seem to recall reading someplace that it didn't and I would be interested to see something (anything from any game line) that can definitively settle the issue (one way or another I'm not picky since I house rule things at my table anyway)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I would allow Teleport to escape the area but not the slowing penalties of the spell.

Ok you successfully escape the area but you still feel the lingering effects of the spell.

So if you fail the save, the Teleport to escape you suffer the save penalties.

That seems pretty legit.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Does it stick the "character" or what the character has on their body? Back in the day I used to undo my boots and TK leap attack the mage, ending the problem.

Though if you say the "character" is stuck, then it's more a metaphysical thing, and dumber than it already is.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
42dragon
Explorer

Unread post by 42dragon »

Alrik Vas wrote:Does it stick the "character" or what the character has on their body? Back in the day I used to undo my boots and TK leap attack the mage, ending the problem.

Though if you say the "character" is stuck, then it's more a metaphysical thing, and dumber than it already is.

I think it depends on what is actually touching the carpet. In my games, we had to house rule that the carpet had to be cast on a surface (floor, ground, wall, side of vehicle, ect...) and then the opponent had to walk, be pushed, fall, be thrown, or somehow get onto the carpet. The carpet couldn't be cast already under the target. The wording in the spell allows you to cast it on a person (with no chance to dodge mentioned). My players would always be "I cast carpet of adhesion rolled up around target X, becasue a carpet can be rolled up". In that case no you couldn't just jump out of your boots. And the spell was an instant win spell (except for teleporting out or metamorphosis mist type spells, GM call).

Once it was just a sticky carpet that got what ever was touching it stuck. In many cases just the boots, then yes we would allow the jumping out of your boots if possible to try and escape. If you got knocked down onto the carpet, then of course things got trickier.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

eliakon wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Teleporting (& D-T-porting) does free the char from a CoA.

Source? I seem to recall reading someplace that it didn't and I would be interested to see something (anything from any game line) that can definitively settle the issue (one way or another I'm not picky since I house rule things at my table anyway)

Might picked it up from a Q&A on magic in one of the books. *shrugs* Is too busy to look it up ATM.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

VR Dragon wrote:So I wanted to post a question to the boards...

Situation.... a Cosmo Knight is battling a spell caster who manages to catch the Knight's feet to the ground holding him fast.

Now the question... If the Cosmo Knight uses his cosmic blast at the ground at his feet... free himself and is now able to fly away with bits of the ground stuck to his feet

or is he still stuck to the surface even though there is no surface?

Only one of these makes sense.

You cannot be stuck to something that has been destroyed.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Iirc, as of RUE, teleporting only kind of works- you end up stuck in a new location.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

this is true, KC, teleporting doesn't unstick you, but you do move still.

I allow casting as a wrap up toss at a target still, but there's a dodge and the mage has to make a strike roll. they usually opt to cast it in the ground, where I set the initial save as a dodge vs 18. if you're stuck, you still get the normal save. makes it high success, but not insta win.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Interesting out for the Cosmo-Knight: be wearing your armor, get stuck to the ground, but it is the boots of your armor that is stuck, so will it to vanish, suddenly you are unstuck because what was stuck (armor) is no longer there, then just fly off and reactivate it.

Cosmo-Knight should just wear long dresses then they could just be flying all the time and nobody would no because their feet's covered.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by VR Dragon »

Thanks for all the replies. But somehow something got confused. I was not asking if teleporting freed you from CoA. I asked if a Cosmo Knight energy blasted the ground at his free which was effected by CoA... would that free him (flying off with chunks of rock still stuck to his feet) or is he left floating stuck to mid air.

My brain says it would negate the spell if the surface it was cast upon is destroyed.

The guy who GMs for us says it would leave the guy floating.in mid air stuck to the carpet.

But the spell description says it must be cast upon a surface and not just floating in the air.

GM friend says it makes the surface invulnerable. But the spell does not say such a thing.

So....
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

VR Dragon wrote:Thanks for all the replies. But somehow something got confused. I was not asking if teleporting freed you from CoA. I asked if a Cosmo Knight energy blasted the ground at his free which was effected by CoA... would that free him (flying off with chunks of rock still stuck to his feet) or is he left floating stuck to mid air.

My brain says it would negate the spell if the surface it was cast upon is destroyed.

The guy who GMs for us says it would leave the guy floating.in mid air stuck to the carpet.

But the spell description says it must be cast upon a surface and not just floating in the air.

GM friend says it makes the surface invulnerable. But the spell does not say such a thing.

So....

Greetings and Salutations. I can think of a few different ways to handle this, and how I did so would probably depend on my mood and how good of a case the player made.

1: Similar to the G.M. ruling above, you can't destroy the ground. The Cosmo Knight can't unmake the ground, he can simply attack it and blow it into little pieces, right? Well, all those little pieces are also caught within the spell ... so they all end up sticking to each other and can't actually go anywhere. As such it is invulnerable (at least until the spell ends, when it'll break up into all those little pieces). Note: I likely wouldn't go with this ruling myself, but I just wanted to make the case for it.

2: The Cosmo Knight blasts the ground and makes a crater. Awesome! However, since you only get one action at a time (and you can't fly while you're also stuck to the ground), that means you fall. Unless you create a hole big enough that you're falling for several seconds (enough time to get a second action), you fall to the bottom of the small crater you made and are stuck once again. Congrats, you're now stuck a little lower down. On the plus side, it might help serve as some cover (kind of like a trench). If you don't land on your back or face (and your whole body becomes stuck), you might be able to spend an action focusing on flying up (and keep going, even if you can't technically move), then blast down on your next action. This might free you, but of course you'd go flying off at an uncontrollable speed (imagine pulling with all your might on a rope, and then the tension breaks and you go flying). Note: This is my most likely ruling.

3: The ground blows into little bits. Debris scatters in every direction, including all over you. Roll to determine your luck (D20, %, or some other format I'd make up on the spot). If you're really unlucky, debris is now covering your eyes (Cosmic Blast those ... I dare you!). If you're really lucky it might not impair you at all. Somewhere in the middle? I'd figure it out depending on your luck. Maybe something covering your mouth (making you incapable of speaking), covering one (or both) of your hands so you couldn't actually pick up or drop anything, etc. In theory, you can continue trying to smash the debris so you were no longer impaired, but each would take another action (and you'll find you didn't save nearly as much time as you thought you did). Note: I'd likely only do this if I was feeling evil or the player was ticking me off.

Regardless of ruling, even if the Cosmo-Knight did free him/herself, based on the Teleportation ruling in RUE, as soon as the Cosmo Knight touched anything, he/she'd become stuck once again ... and need to continue blasting everything/anything he/she touches to get free again. Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I am kinda, hardnosed with this spell. Mainly because Memnoc does not play when he Gm's, his adventures are always repeat always a near death Experience. Very exciting games, also sucks making new characters. Js.

Example.

Powersurge was battling a Shifter and his Golem army. After smashing the giant Tin Soldiers, I finally made it to the Mage.

Enter door. Boom! ! Get blasted by a fusion block trap. Shake it off. Hallways long and full of dust now, glasses broken by explosion. Lose half my Radar bonuses and an Attack!!
Mage casts sticky carpet. I use Quantum Teleport, After making the save. All Time copies carry the penalties for making a save vs Carpet of Adhesion.
Cause it's magic THATS WHY!!
Alrik Vas
Knight

VR Dragon wrote:Thanks for all the replies. But somehow something got confused. I was not asking if teleporting freed you from CoA. I asked if a Cosmo Knight energy blasted the ground at his free which was effected by CoA... would that free him (flying off with chunks of rock still stuck to his feet) or is he left floating stuck to mid air.

So....

The spell creates an effect, not an invulnerable surface. lol...just pick up a rug, cast CoA on it and walk behind it for a shield that can block a Reflex Cannon? heh

Cosmo-knight (or anything with ability) blows up the floor, the effect isn't in that place anymore, because the targeted substance no longer exists. I can't see a reason that it would still stick you there, other than your GM is in love with making your life more difficult than it ought to be.

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”