Bio-Manipulation Pain vs. Incantation

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Augur
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Creator of the best PBP sites online: Explorers Unlimited & Savage Rifts

Bio-Manipulation Pain vs. Incantation

Unread post by Augur »

If a mage is under the effect of Bio-Manipulation Pain, is he still able to cast a spell?
(B-M Pain causes 1 pt of damage every minute, as well as terrible pain which has substantive combat penalties.)
ImageImageImage
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Bio-Manipulation Pain vs. Incantation

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

The Game Master wrote:If a mage is under the effect of Bio-Manipulation Pain, is he still able to cast a spell?
(B-M Pain causes 1 pt of damage every minute, as well as terrible pain which has substantive combat penalties.)

Nothing canon that I'me aware of, but I'd say that it counts as being under attack, which would (as per RUE 179-180 iirc) mean that the mage can only cast level 1-5 invocations, not higher level spells.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The Game Master wrote:If a mage is under the effect of Bio-Manipulation Pain, is he still able to cast a spell?

no, severe pain breaks concentration, I think.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I thought a book updated this and it now takes 8 or more points of damage to disrupt a mage's concentration and prevent spell casting?
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Glistam wrote:I thought a book updated this and it now takes 8 or more points of damage to disrupt a mage's concentration and prevent spell casting?

yes, but it's not the damage so much as the wracking pain. damage isn't the ONLY thing that disrupts casting.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Pages 53 and 54 of the Palladium Fantasy book "Mysteries of Magic Book 1: The Heart of Magic" have the information I was remembering, and is worth a read. According to that section, no, Bio-Manipulation Pain is not enough to cause a mage to break the concentration of their spell.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Glistam wrote:Pages 53 and 54 of the Palladium Fantasy book "Mysteries of Magic Book 1: The Heart of Magic" have the information I was remembering, and is worth a read. According to that section, no, Bio-Manipulation Pain is not enough to cause a mage to break the concentration of their spell.

That's also what I was refering to, and nothing in there contradicts what I said. it lists a lot of things that can break ones contcentration. it says that taking 8 points of damage or more will do it, not that that is the only thing that will do it, and goes on to list other distractions which can do it. It's reasonable to say "agonizing pain" is sufficent given the guidelines there.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

I disagree. You can still fight and act while under the effect of Bio-Manipulation: Pain, so you can still cast spells.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Whether or not BM:Pain disrupts spell casting is up to the individual GMs. So both NS and G are correct in their GM outlooks on this.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Though this still begs the question of why one would use anything other than bio-manipulation: Paralasis. it completely stops fighters AND says explictly it stops casters from casting too. there's really no reason to ever use anything else.

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Though this still begs the question of why one would use anything other than bio-manipulation: Paralasis. it completely stops fighters AND says explictly it stops casters from casting too. there's really no reason to ever use anything else.

Might not stop another psychic.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Though this still begs the question of why one would use anything other than bio-manipulation: Paralasis. it completely stops fighters AND says explictly it stops casters from casting too. there's really no reason to ever use anything else.

Actually it says explictly they can only use psionics if they have LoS. use paralasis, and sinse they can no longer move their head, step out of their LoS.

Under a strict reading, they couldn't even use non Line of Sight psionics like a bursters fire aura or group mind block, but that's probablly a bit too literal.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Actually it says explictly they can only use psionics if they have LoS. use paralasis, and sinse they can no longer move their head, step out of their LoS.

Pretty good plan.
I guess if they use telekinesis, the GM might let them change their line of sight.

Under a strict reading, they couldn't even use non Line of Sight psionics like a bursters fire aura or group mind block, but that's probablly a bit too literal.

Agreed; that's too strict.

Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

pain vs casting, eh?

I say if they failed the psionics save, then no casting. damage isn't relevant when you're in crazy amounts of pain. though of course you could also allow a second save vs pain, specifically.

I think the point of the power is to debilitate without causing massive physical trauma anyway.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

This would be a great use for the 'Save vs. Pain' mechanic.....
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I use it all the time in my games, but my players experience a lot of pain, so...yeah
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”