Can you use a melee attack to shoot a ranged weapon?

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Asta
D-Bee

Can you use a melee attack to shoot a ranged weapon?

Unread post by Asta »

I'm confused on the wording of the Rifts Ultimate edition combat section. When it states that a PC has so many melee attacks per round does that also mean that he can use those attacks to fire ranged weapons too?

Thanks from a newbie!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Can you use a melee attack to shoot a ranged weapon?

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Asta wrote:I'm confused on the wording of the Rifts Ultimate edition combat section. When it states that a PC has so many melee attacks per round does that also mean that he can use those attacks to fire ranged weapons too?

Thanks from a newbie!

Yes.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Asta wrote:I'm confused on the wording of the Rifts Ultimate edition combat section. When it states that a PC has so many melee attacks per round does that also mean that he can use those attacks to fire ranged weapons too?

Thanks from a newbie!

Yes. Basically in the Palladium System the word "melee" can refer to several things one of which is to refer to a set period of time (15 seconds). Your actions can be spent dodging, moving, performing tasks, attacking close range targets (or melee range), or attacking with a ranged weapon.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Thanks from a newbie!

Yes. "Melee attacks" means "Attacks per melee round", not "attacks to be used only in melee range". Attacks per melee actually refers to how many actions you have per round, and is used for everything, attacking, shooting, dodging, spellcasting, psionics and micellanious actions like reloading.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Thanks from a newbie!

Yes. "Melee attacks" means "Attacks per melee round", not "attacks to be used only in melee range". Attacks per melee actually refers to how many actions you have per round, and is used for everything, attacking, shooting, dodging, spellcasting, psionics and micellanious actions like reloading.

Except in the case of a non-skilled hth combatant who's attacks/melee and non combat actions are different, a 1:2 ratio (i.e. Each melee attack given by the no hth... hth skill allows 2 non combat actions to be taken.
Obviously I'm building on your NS NOT correcting you. ;)
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Something like "combat round" would've been clearer but Palladium likes to simplify it to "melees" and "combats" might sound off.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”