Rules clarification needed for alternate RIFTS init system

A Place to post your game questions and rule clarifications. Once answered the post will go into the Games F.A.Q. Archive.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Asta
D-Bee

Rules clarification needed for alternate RIFTS init system

Unread post by Asta »

Recently I saw a youtube video of a Rifts game in which the GM had divided each PC and monster initiative rolls by their number of attacks/actions per round. He then marked everyones' attacks in order on a numbered matrix grid which represented one combat round. For example, a PC with 5 attacks/actions and an init of 20 would go on 20, 15, 10, 5 and 1. Claiming that this negates the need to reroll initiatives each round and that these numbers would stay the same for the whole battle, the GM ran the combat quite quickly and smoothly. Does anybody know more about this variant? I'm confused as to how this would work with odd numbered low init rolls such as 7 or 3.

Thanks!
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: Rules clarification needed for alternate RIFTS init syst

Unread post by Glistam »

Probably round up or down in those cases.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Maybe post a link to the video you are talking about so others can see what you are talking about.[/suggestion]
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

Asta wrote:Recently I saw a youtube video of a Rifts game in which the GM had divided each PC and monster initiative rolls by their number of attacks/actions per round. He then marked everyones' attacks in order on a numbered matrix grid which represented one combat round. For example, a PC with 5 attacks/actions and an init of 20 would go on 20, 15, 10, 5 and 1. Claiming that this negates the need to reroll initiatives each round and that these numbers would stay the same for the whole battle, the GM ran the combat quite quickly and smoothly. Does anybody know more about this variant? I'm confused as to how this would work with odd numbered low init rolls such as 7 or 3.

Thanks!

That method does not work for Rifts in any real expedited manner, and the claim that it "negates the need to re-roll initiatives" is deceptive.

First you would need to set up a matrix or do math each and every time you rolled for initiative, depending on the roll and your number of attacks. The example of "5 attacks and a 20 initiative" is a skewed example due to the simplicity; had he chosen something like 5 attacks and a 14 or less initiative, and all of a sudden he's running into difficulty trying to stay in positive numbers. And the matrix itself? Say you had 5 attacks, and a +2 initiative; that leaves a range of 2 through 22, or 21 possible outcomes. It is not simple, and that is just accounting for one attack and one bonus to initiative, not including situational modifiers.

Additionally, you do not "need" to re-roll your initiative each round; if you kept it the same, you run into no problems, which makes the claim itself a false one. You can think of it as simply rolling the same number each and every round.

Simply put, this is not a good method, and I would rather use the round-robin the game currently uses over it. As you're new here, I'll fill you in; I personally think the rules for Rifts are garbage; terrible; bad. So for me to prefer them over the above method is saying something. I don't use either method, but I would use the garbage-method Rifts has before the above-method you're asking about.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

What makes you think you have to reroll each turn? Kevin doesn't, apparently after init, there are only a few things that can reorg it, like failing HF or being knocked down. The Rifts GMG didn't give rules for holding actions to choose a LATER time you want to go.

I've always used a matrix though. Segmented into the 15 seconds of a melee.
Which segment you can go on is determined by your attks/melee and they are the same for everyone with the same number of attacks.
Each character has a combat readiness stat that is the average of all of their stats except PB.
Add a D20 highest goes first in the first segment which everyone has a turn in AFTER the first segment all actions are simultaneous.
A dodge can't be attempted unless a previous action was held in reserve.
Actions may be held from one turn to another, they do not "expire" at the end of a turn.
A held action may be used for aimed and called shots, power punches and other tasks that require multiple actions to complete. Normally when you do an aimed shot you hold one action and then shoot on the next. This is the same thing except it need not be two consecutive actions.
If you have more than 15 attks/melee they are held in reserve and can be used the same as a held action
A held action or reserve action does not allow for multiple attacks in the same segment. The only way for that are specific attacks that do such like MuThai Kick Boxing's lightning attack.

There is other stuff but I'm doing this from memory, so some of it may be wrong too. :)
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Asta wrote:Recently I saw a youtube video of a Rifts game in which the GM had divided each PC and monster initiative rolls by their number of attacks/actions per round. He then marked everyones' attacks in order on a numbered matrix grid which represented one combat round. For example, a PC with 5 attacks/actions and an init of 20 would go on 20, 15, 10, 5 and 1. Claiming that this negates the need to reroll initiatives each round and that these numbers would stay the same for the whole battle, the GM ran the combat quite quickly and smoothly. Does anybody know more about this variant? I'm confused as to how this would work with odd numbered low init rolls such as 7 or 3.

Thanks!

that's just some weird house rule he had, and isn't a well known or accepted variant. also, that sounds more complicated than most.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
infernocanuck
D-Bee

Unread post by infernocanuck »

It's been a little while since the original post, but as the DM of that Youtube campaign, I thought I'd offer some clarification:

Yes, on an odd number, you just round up.
Much of the combat examples explicitly state re-rolling initiative after the melee round is completed, hense my "refocus" house rule to prevent that

Finally, Yes, it is more complicated. In fact, last month we simplified this whole initiative thing, and still used a spreadsheet to keep track of used and unused attacks per melee. Much much much closer to the original rules, and much more streamlined. As an example: https://youtu.be/Wro9Qjrir1Y?list=PLe8f ... V4s&t=1095

Return to “Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.”